Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for a Trad. Irish Folk Band

dirtystatic

Ok, thanks for the advice. In the band we have bass, bodhran, guitar, fiddle and then a fella who alternates between whistle, harmonica and mandolin. So I'm not likely to find an acoustic bass that can compete with that lot?

It's also worth noting that we don't do many slow airs. It's mostly played at pace and the guitar playing is furious, start fast and end faster is our moto.

No. Get an electro acoustic bass plus small amp if you want that look, alternatively an electric plus small amp. Mine was an ash-bodied Westone with a P pickup so look and sound weren't too bad. A natural P, Jazz or Ray depending on preference would be a decent shout - was a lovely ash Japanense P just sold on the For Sale board.

Don't get hung up on the "acoustic" thing..I'd suggest a good semi-type electric, with flats or black plastic strings, with a good preamp/DI (Samsamp, Aguilar etc). Epiphone J.C or Fender Coronada (?) would do the job best - fairly pricey, but better instruments than cheap acoustics, and can be used in many other situations.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1392248110' post='2366560']
With this line up, the best thing you can do to help the overall sound of the band is to forget about bass and learn another melody instrument such as tenor banjo, accordion or mandola. Bodhran and guitar is more than enough accompaniment.
[/quote]

You're a brave man, I wouldn't personally offer that advice to someone ALREADY happily playing bass AND making money in an Irish band :mellow:

I think I know what you mean about bass in trad music. I made half my living playing guitar in a ceilidh band for several years and must have played 500 sessions, but I did use bass on occasion, and it can work well :yarr:

Edited by KK Jale

No worries, I understand what you mean about contributing more with a melodic instrument but we don't all have defined roles within the band. The drum, guitar and bass all switch between lead and support over the course of the set so there's a nice bit if variation. I'm going to plod on with Precision for now, but it's more than likely going to be the Kala U-bass. I'd love to try the Epiphone Zenith too but the music shops in North Wales aren't likely to have one in stock.