Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for a Trad. Irish Folk Band

dirtystatic

I'm looking for a new bass for use in a Irish music band. I know bass isn't typically associated with traditional Irish music, but it works really well and it keeps me busy so I'm not complaining.

I typically use a Fender P, I keep it low and thumpy and it does a decent job. But I think I make enough money from the band to warrant purchasing a dedicated instrument for the band (and also because I'll use any excuse to spend money on a bass).

I want to go fretless and get something approaching the sound of an upright, it also has to be more "traditional" in appearance. So far I'm looking at various electro acoustics, the Kala U-bass and also the Epiphone Zenith. Any thoughts or suggestions for me?

Also, I should mention that I'm not interested in graduating to full upright just yet. No room!

[quote name='dirtystatic' timestamp='1391520497' post='2358020']
I've owned an EUB in the past and I really struggled. I'm sure with time I'd get better but we've got a busy spring and summer coming up so I don't have the time to invest. That's why the three I mentioned earlier appealed to me because it won't be a huge jump from standard electric bass.
[/quote]

I found the transition from fretless electric to EUB really simple and leapt in to gigging with mine the day after I got it and had no ill effects or playing problems from the change at all...this is where everyone's different innit ;)

Then this would probably fit the bill but, er... it's not cheap. :)

[url="http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/takamine-tb10-bass-fretless-cutaway-electro-acoustic-bass-red-stain.html"]http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/takamine-tb10-bass-fretless-cutaway-electro-acoustic-bass-red-stain.html[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391524471' post='2358107']
Then this would probably fit the bill but, er... it's not cheap. :)

[url="http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/takamine-tb10-bass-fretless-cutaway-electro-acoustic-bass-red-stain.html"]http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/takamine-tb10-bass-fretless-cutaway-electro-acoustic-bass-red-stain.html[/url]
[/quote]

That would indeed be ideal- I've been gassing for a B10 or TB 10 for years now...

Very rarely come up secondhand.

Alternatively, as well as their extensive range of EUBs, NS Design also offer the Omnibass in four or 5 string versions. It's a 34 inch scale bass which can be played upright or horizontal and can be bowed.

Might be the ideal transition?

Cheers

Ed

A cheap way to try out the U Bass option is the Harley Benton Kahuna spotted by Dannybuoy , see his separate thread.

I guess it depends what kind of Irish Folk music you're playing. Bands like Horslips and The Pogues have used the bass guitar very successfully. Sharon Shannon and the Woodchoppers and Clannad, have done fantastic things with double bass, De Danann with cello, Bothy Band with clavinet.

I think these are the exception rather than the rule though. Apart from Sharon Shannon, I can't think of many jigs and reels type bands who have benefitted from the introduction of a bass, and there's at least one clip of De Danann on the net showing how spectacularly terrible it can turn out.

[quote name='dirtystatic' timestamp='1391517926' post='2357970']
I'm looking for a new bass for use in a Irish music band. I know bass isn't typically associated with traditional Irish music, but it works really well and it keeps me busy so I'm not complaining.

I typically use a Fender P, I keep it low and thumpy and it does a decent job. But I think I make enough money from the band to warrant purchasing a dedicated instrument for the band (and also because I'll use any excuse to spend money on a bass).

I want to go fretless and get something approaching the sound of an upright, it also has to be more "traditional" in appearance. So far I'm looking at various electro acoustics, the Kala U-bass and also the Epiphone Zenith. Any thoughts or suggestions for me?

Also, I should mention that I'm not interested in graduating to full upright just yet. No room!
[/quote]

I played in an Irish folk band and used a precision with flats exclusively. I then decided to get a cheapish electric upright as I felt similar to you about wanting to keep in with the traditional element of the music.

A few hundred quid, no difference in the mix, a handful of awful gigs and countless setting up/EQ/feedback issues later (the end pin loved picking up EVERY vibration going!) later, I went back to the precision.

Save your time/money and keep the precision IMO.

Edited by skej21

I've a lot of love for my U-Bass and it does a lovely upright sound when played near the neck, so if not a U-Bass proper the aforementioned Harley Benton copy would at very least be a perfect portable backup bass for the precision. See also the Aquila ShortBassOne if you want less of a ukulele vibe and some really cool red strings(I really need to try one of those soon myself!)

Many thanks for the replies. I'm torn between the U-bass or a Crafter BA400 fretless. I had the opportunity to play a Kala (we played at a folk festival in Uttoxeter and there was a Kala stand there) but I doubt I'd get a chance to try the Crafter before I buy. I'm swaying towards the Crafter as the Kala is pretty useless with out an amp. There's been a fair few occasions when we've been at festivals or abroad where we've popped into a local pub after the gig and played a session for some food/booze.

The crafter will be just a useless if there's more than one acoustic guitar and perhaps even a single jumbo bodied acoustic. You'll just about get away playing an unamplified acoustic bass with a banjo, whistle and bodhrán but add an accordion or similar into the mix and you wont be heard in a decent sized room.

FWIW I used to play bass in such a combo many moons ago, acoustic bass doesn't cut it particularly over a box and fiddle. I used an electric bass plus a small 30W practise combo, worked well. You could go with an electro acoustic bass, and take the amp for louder number just in case.