Why become a member? ×

COG Pron Thread

woodyratm

I just A/B'd a chorus before and after my TK-421-X. With the chorus after, the wobble of the chorus was really dirty, to be expected. It sounded good though. With the chorus before the TK the dirty chorus wobble had cleaned up a bit and the note definition was much better. I actually prefered the chorus in front of the fuzz, but as always, I'm sure both ways have their uses. Doing it that way was definitely worth trying though.
I did try two choruses, before AND after the TK at the same time. That was interesting, a lot of wobble but a huge sound.

Edited by ratman

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1424352368' post='2695441']
same here, was just thinking that. I always have chorus post fuzz - will give it a shot tonight.
[/quote]

I often use the 'detune' chorus on the Whammy before dirt for a thick Death From Above-type sound, and I think he uses his Ibanez chorus in the same way. The Corona comes later in the chain, and the dirt accentuates its lovely swirliness...I think you need one before and after dirt personally! ;-)

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1424352368' post='2695441']
same here, was just thinking that. I always have chorus post fuzz - will give it a shot tonight.
[/quote]

I often use the 'detune' chorus on the Whammy before dirt for a thick Death From Above-type sound, and I think he uses his Ibanez chorus in the same way. The Corona comes later in the chain, and the dirt accentuates its lovely swirliness...I think you need one before and after dirt personally! ;-)

yeah, tried it last night and it was quite thick / chewy, reminded me of when I used to run a phaser pre-fuzz (though for some reason never tried the chrous in this position)... not sure which I prefer to be honest (though 2 chorus probably overkill for me at the minute)...

but damn you for putting the idea in my head of a 2 chorus setup!! :)

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1424343566' post='2695287']
the chorus into the fuzz is awesome! cant get enough of it
[/quote]
I'm going to try this tomorrow. My normal dirt chain is OD > Fuzz > Chorus, but I might swap stuff around so that the chorus is in the middle after the OD, and feeding the fuzz. I do like the OD being first as it adds harmonics to the input of the fuzz. My OD pedal choices are a JOYO Vintage Overdrive / Ultimate Drive or a Bad Monkey. The Chorus is a straight Boss CEB-3 and I have a Bass Big Muff Pi.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1424343566' post='2695287']
the chorus into the fuzz is awesome! cant get enough of it

Tom also increased the gain available on the fuzz, so the normal max gain is around 3 o'clock and then i can push it a bit further for some super swelled out phat phuzz
[/quote]

its awesome innit!

its always on and gets put with different fuzz and dirt pedals to suit. only one that its off for is the heliotropic.

I recently got a B3K which I like, but I would like more distortion.I think that fuzz maybe too much so was interested in the TK-421-X.
Do any of you TK owners have an opinion on the TK vs. B3K, is it worth considering or should I look more at fuzz?
Does anyone have a sound clip/demo of the TK?
Thanks
Verb

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1424514666' post='2697104']
This looks interesting! Is it a fuzz/octave or a fuzz/envelope filter maybe? And what are the z-in and mode functions?
[/quote]

Fuzz & octave. The fuzz is a mammoth with the impedance control of the mastotron (hence the z-in).The mode selects whether the fuzz is in the loop of the octave (i.e. in parallel with the octave effect) or in series. Looking forward to it arriving. It's destined to be in the loop of my 3leaf GR2. Should be entertaining!

[quote name='verb' timestamp='1424643490' post='2698764']
I recently got a B3K which I like, but I would like more distortion.I think that fuzz maybe too much so was interested in the TK-421-X.
Do any of you TK owners have an opinion on the TK vs. B3K, is it worth considering or should I look more at fuzz?
Does anyone have a sound clip/demo of the TK?
Thanks
Verb
[/quote]

I've recently got a TK-421-X and i love it, gets super dirty and the blend on it is killer. I actually use a B3K as my main slightly gritty tone and kick the TK in for all out filth on some parts, they compliment each other very well. I had been struggling to find a dirtier distortion that could hold its own when switching between the Darkglass and the first thing i found that could after trying a hell of a lot was a knightfall 66 (which is just ridiculously good too) but the TK just nailed it, never been happier with my sound as i have been since using the darkglass/Cog combination.

Verb, the TK-421-X is a nasty Rat based distortion. High gain is what it's all about, without low end loss. And it doesn't do subtle. If you want some distortion that's less brutal have a think about the Grand Tarkin. That's sort of a Big Muff but way better.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1426086601' post='2714204']
Not bass related but still loving the Sculley! V tempted to look at COG overdrive next.
[url=http://postimg.org/image/5klvi3l3t/full/][/url]
[/quote]

Wtf is going on in this picture!?

Lol, thanks. Its just a build thumb piano with a desk draw, some grounding bars, pieces of coat hanger and mic set up. There's a dry and effect signal chain. the COG sculley is a fix'd fuzz clone with bigger balls. Tom puts amazing LPF's on his gear and the sculley has one for the out put signal, its like the one on the COG octive pedal the T65, which we all know is capable of mad dubby wub wub wub's. The hog loves the sculley, but, thinking about it, I might be able to replace it with the T65 and get similar results. I have tried this with a rat tail with the momentary switch feedback mod and the sculley def makes the added effect chain more 'industrial dub' and weird/haunted. in the photo I hadn't really found the best setting, but the sculley can also go super gated and mental with both fuzzes (and their subsequent filters engaged) which is great with the thumb piano because its naturally i reverby type instrument so its a serious bit of kit when used and balanced right (with feedback issues do to the acoustic mic set up). I'm using it soon at a Moon Ra show in Bristol 20th if anyone wants to come along.

So the TK-421x is here!!

Spent an hour or so playing at home tonight, through the little practise amp, and it's a cracking pedal :) I'll get a chance to put it through the old bassman and 4x12 tomorrow night, nice and loud, so looking forward to that... Being able to dial in a bit of quite heavily filtered clean is great... running with the clean set at about 2 o'clock, and filter for the clean at about 1 o'clock. I've definitely changed my view from hating blends to appreciating a good one on distortion (but still think overdrive and heavy fuzz are best left alone).