Why become a member? ×

Anyone see the Super Bowl halftime show last night?

sam-davies

Not sure which of you basschatters would've watched this but this is the halftime show from the Super Bowl. Start with a drum solo from Bruno Mars (which isn't actually too bad). The Red Hot Chili Peppers came out for one song too. Thoughts?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3YLz6QOP8[/media]

(Sorry if the video doesn't work, was the first one on YouTube I could find).

Edited by sam-davies

I thought Bruno Mars was brilliant! I like all of his singles but this was the first time I've seen any live stuff.

Chili Peppers were just Chili Peppers. Same thing they've been doing for 30 years. Nothing special but at least they're not old, fat and boring yet. Still very entertaining.

Firstly, loved the show.

Secondly, I didn't spot the cable thing with Flea, but what I did notice was that the number of notes he was supposedly playing seemed to far exceed the notes on the audio. Real shame that this probably means (coupled with the cable thang) that he wasn't actually playing the bass track.

Wow I really enjoyed that, what a great performance by all
OK he wasn't plugged in, I don't think it really matters in this context. I'm sure the producers of that show had enough to worry about without dealing with individual sound levels, and about a dozen musicians running around wireless. Too much room for error probably what with half the planet tuning in.
We know Flea can do it live, he has nothing to prove there whatsoever.
Plus it's not like we haven't seen him mime before - pick any Chili Peppers video. Cool, entertaining, but he is miming on them.

I heard about this this evening, and I'd just like to raise a couple of points, which I'm sure most of you have thought about already, being haven't been mentioned on the thread yet.

The half time show was 15 minutes long, and it's there to entertain people between the 2 halves of the match - there's literally no time there to set up gear. The transition between Bruno and RHCP was seriously slick - I just can't imagine the transition going that well if it was actually live.

Secondly - this was a seriously massive gig. Not only did millions of USA citizens watch it, but it went out live to millions of people all over the world. When you have that many eyes on you, you want to make sure that your entertainment doesn't say anything inappropriate while they have the opportunity. These big gigs are all run like that. People were shocked when Beyonce mimed at Obama's inauguration, frankly, I'd be more shocked if she hadn't mimed. That would leave her completely open to yell something like "death to America", which would be completely inappropriate (and probably very unlikely), so it's all managed to make sure that doesn't happen.

Lastly, Flea and RHCP have never really tried to hide the fact that they are miming when they do mime. There are old TV interviews and things where they basically just run and jump about without even touching their instruments, and their track is playing, which they are supposedly playing live. It's possible that Flea was trying to make it obvious that they were miming. It was unlikely that they genuinely forgot to plug in his wireless transmitter.

I'm not bothered by it, really. I'd be very bothered, though, if I had paid £60-something to see them live, and they had mimed the entire set.

What I suppose that amounts to is this - I'd be more shocked if they hadn't mimed than if they had.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1391462001' post='2357512']
Really good points too!

I'd have been shocked if I was watching it live, but looking at it that way it makes perfect sense.
[/quote]

I'm glad you think so :)

I think one of the great things about RHCP is - even if you were deaf or hearing impaired, you could still enjoy one of their shows, because it is a visual spectacle as much as an auditory one.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1391424940' post='2356872']
Would have been nice if Flea was actually plugged in....
[/quote]

I was too tired to notice when I was watching it. Haha.

I agree with MiltyG565, it would be awful if you'd paid to see them specifically live, saying that people were spending $2000 to be there (to see football). Bruno Mars did a good job as a performer, still don't think I'll start listening to his music.

Has anyone seen RHCP live? I haven't and am wondering whether it's worth it if the opportunity comes around.

[quote name='sam-davies' timestamp='1391507838' post='2357811']
Has anyone seen RHCP live? I haven't and am wondering whether it's worth it if the opportunity comes around.
[/quote]

I saw them headline Reading in 1999... although I was on mushrooms so don't remember if they were any good... :blink:

I watched the performance yesterday. I quite enjoyed it.
I've kind of avoided popular culture for the last few years due to having a kid and work- no radio 1, commercial radio and very little tv etc. so thought Bruno Mars and Olly Muirs were the same person!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1391508940' post='2357823']
I saw them headline Reading in 1999... although I was on mushrooms so don't remember if they were any good... :blink:
[/quote]
I was there also though not on mushrooms. They were very good.

Edited by Stu-khag

[quote name='sam-davies' timestamp='1391507838' post='2357811']

[/quote]

Not seen 'em myself - not really my cuppa tea - but a drummer mate, who's a fan, saw them at Knebworth a couple of years ago.

Underwhelming was how he described it.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1391512323' post='2357864']
Not seen 'em myself - not really my cuppa tea - but a drummer mate, who's a fan, saw them at Knebworth a couple of years ago.

Underwhelming was how he described it.
[/quote]

I thought that might be the case. IMO most bands don't suit somewhere as big as Knebworth anyways. I'm a fan of academy sized venues.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1391508940' post='2357823']
[/quote]

Haha. This made me laugh Rob. :)

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1391510485' post='2357843']
I watched the performance yesterday. I quite enjoyed it.
I've kind of avoided popular culture for the last few years due to having a kid and work- no radio 1, commercial radio and very little tv etc. so thought Bruno Mars and Olly Muirs were the same person!

I was there also though not on mushrooms. They were very good.
[/quote]

I concur that they were great that night (even though some tools down the front were making fires which made the band stop a couple of times!)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1391522834' post='2358068']
I concur that they were great that night (even though some tools down the front were making fires which made the band stop a couple of times!)
[/quote]

I remember something about that... didn't the singer throw a bit of a tantrum and go off stage for a while?

Questionable idea starting a fire in an enclosed space full of thousands of people.... :blink:

My other memory of that years festival was some large angry looking men who had set up a tent near where you came into the campsite, they had one of those huge army style tents with the open front full of pallets of beer... no clothing, food or bedding... just crates of beer....

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1391519610' post='2358001'] Me too [/quote]
IIRC there was also some all-girl (Australian?) band as openers too. They seemed to get a bit miffed when they weren't being showered with adoration by all and sundry. Considering I'd seen plenty of pub bands making a better fist of it I was tending to side with the rest of the audience.