Why become a member? ×

Patch cables

bobbass4k

It's been literally years since I bought a patch cable, what are we all using now? George L's seem to be very hard to get hold of and Lava's seem to only be sold in expensive kits. I just need a few but I don't have an idea of layout yet so I'd prefer to buy some cable and plugs and make them up myself. I'm looking at solderless because they seem to have the lowest profile connectors (I'm ideally looking for a George L sort of profile) but I spend most of my working day soldering so if anyone knows of any equal small solderable plugs that would be grand.

The only time I've ever had an issue with George L's is when I've re-used cabling (when re-configuring board) - I now make sure I trim the ends off so that the screw in cap makes a good, clean connection - I think if you re-use without trimming there's a risk of a short circuit? :)

Email Orchid Electronics and ask for a price. John there says he makes such big savings on buying wholesale that it tends to work out cheaper to buy cables made by him to your spec than to buy the materials individually and solder them yourself.

http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1391681552' post='2360003']
A guitarist I played with always had problems with George L's. Suddenly his board would cut off and he'd have to be searching which cable was doing it. Are George L's unreliable or fiddly or was he just rubbish at it?
[/quote]
I bought loads of plugs and cables , made then all up , just as it showed on the net , spent ages doing it , and nothing worked . Spent ages of time , when really I dont have much . I reckon I sunk well over 100 pounds on cables I couldn't get to work . One of my mates had the same thing - pedalboard dead , which cable ? I now have limited time , what with work , and I cant afford to mess about with stuff that may or may not work . Ive switched too Hosa cables , and i couldn't be happier .

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1391724127' post='2360724']
I bought loads of plugs and cables , made then all up , just as it showed on the net , spent ages doing it , and nothing worked . Spent ages of time , when really I dont have much . I reckon I sunk well over 100 pounds on cables I couldn't get to work . One of my mates had the same thing - pedalboard dead , which cable ? I now have limited time , what with work , and I cant afford to mess about with stuff that may or may not work . Ive switched too Hosa cables , and i couldn't be happier .
[/quote]

i think for this reason id always check the cables with a multimeter.

also is it just me or are the diago plugs basically george l's?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1392242502' post='2366475']
i think for this reason id always check the cables with a multimeter.

also is it just me or are the diago plugs basically george l's?

andy
[/quote]

Better, the screw head means you can really tighten them, george L's you can only get finger tight. I plumped for a Diago kit in the end. Incredibly frustrating packaging aside they're working out pretty well.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1391691336' post='2360192']
Email Orchid Electronics and ask for a price. John there says he makes such big savings on buying wholesale that it tends to work out cheaper to buy cables made by him to your spec than to buy the materials individually and solder them yourself.

[url="http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/"]http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]
I must butt in here and say that John from Orchid is an absolute gentleman to deal with. The kind of chap that restores even an old cynics faith in human nature somewhat ;)

George Ls are good but they are indeed fiddly. You need to make sure you get the connection bang on first time and check the connection with a multimeter and amp before plugging them in. If it makes a connection only when the cable is held at a certain angle then it is going to cut out sometime at a gig.

The other day I moved the order of my pedals about and once I started playing I could hear a crackle. Turned out one of the patch leads was actually on the verge of cutting out from the vibrations of my amp. Checked the connections and it's working fine now.

If it wasn't for those tiny plugs and the ability to cut them to length I'd move to soldered cables.

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1392635653' post='2370800']
So what's wrong with something like these?? I'm genuinely asking about the cons

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Jack-Jack-PRO-Patch-Cable-15cm-Pack-of-6/GCG"]http://www.gear4musi...m-Pack-of-6/GCG[/url]
[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with them. Some people like every part of the signal path to be of the highest quality, whereas others don't care or don't feel it matters, and are happy to use the cheapest options available (within reason; quality things tend to be made to last and so tend to, er, last longer, which can make pricier cables better value for money, if your gear gets a lot of battering). Other people want very short leads between connections; some people just like to fiddle around with stuff. And so on. That's all.

Edited by Zenitram

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1392639375' post='2370862']
There's nothing wrong with them. Some people like every part of the signal path to be of the highest quality, whereas others don't care or don't feel it matters, and are happy to use the cheapest options available (within reason; quality things tend to be made to last and so tend to, er, last longer, which can make pricier cables better value for money, if your gear gets a lot of battering). Other people want very short leads between connections; some people just like to fiddle around with stuff. And so on. That's all.
[/quote]

I have used those style of Gear4Music cables in the far distant past when I started making up my own leads but I found that the weak point was how the jack was secured to its mounting plate. Far too many times this joint came apart leaving the jack free to spin or flex round causing crackling and signal drop.

I then started using neutrix right angled plugs which I use for my home made instrument cables now.
I recently changed the patch cables on my bass rack to these fender ones and they seem pretty good, robust and well made.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pack-FENDER-6-1-4-Right-ANGLE-Instrument-GUITAR-Cable-CORD-Effect-Patch-BLACK-/141162458553?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20ddf02db9

Some of the cheaper moulded jack cables have questionable tolerances and don't fit effects properly and can be noisy when moved but other than that I can't say I've ever heard any difference in sound quality of jack cables but certainly the quality of the jacks make a big difference in their durability.

One benefit of cheap cables is that can provide free access to northern european radio stations that you can listen to while practicing or even at a gig. :-)

Jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1392643093' post='2370937']

I recently changed the patch cables on my bass rack to these fender ones and they seem pretty good, robust and well made.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pack-FENDER-6-1-4-Right-ANGLE-Instrument-GUITAR-Cable-CORD-Effect-Patch-BLACK-/141162458553?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20ddf02db9"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20ddf02db9[/url]

[/quote]

Those are sexy, if a bit expensive at about £11 a pair for what I can see. Do you get them cheaper somewhere?