Why become a member? ×

Advice for my 1st bass

Dannyc

£200 budget, first bass, but something that can cover a variety of tones and is well built enough to serve even pro players? You'd be hard pressed to do better than this Classic Vibe Jazz: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/228581-squier-classic-vibe-60s-jazz-olympic-white-l199/

If you do go the Thunderbird route, it's well worth the extra money for the Epiphone Classic Pro version - it's pretty much the same spec as the Gibson model. They fixed the position of the strap button on this one too so it doesn't neck dive as much!

My first bass was a Peavey Milestone 3 and I can't say a bad thing about it! Cheap as chips second hand (meaing you can spend that much more on an amp), feels comfortable, well built. I'd definitely recommend you look at Peavey, maybe a Millenium? Definitely think about it, and I'm not just saying that because I'm selling mine! ;)

Very tempted by the squire classic vibe jazz on here (very pretty) but have an option on a squire jazz bass for £130 from just down the road from me so going to have a look at it at the weekend. Fingers crossed its a cracker, dark blue with wood effect scratch plate (dated around 1985), immaculate condition so I am told. If its a winner, I will post up some pics, if not carry on the shopping process..........so many nice options out there and in here!!

Edited by Dannyc

T-BIRD PRO IV classic or active have small jazz type necks unlike the bolt on ones and are very good basses.
I,ve got the active one and it sounds great and plays a dream now that I set it up.
Vintage v4 is a good bass and can be picked up at good prices s/h and are good enough to gig with,I gig mine.
s/h american made Peavey you can,t go wrong with as well as the USA built musicman SUB basses.
Bottom line is get something that,s nice in the hand and sounds good and make sure it looks cool.

Hi all, so I got my Jazz Bass today :)
It is a dark blue Squier by Fender Jazz Bass
It says on the neck by the body "crafted in Korea with serial no S/N 713165
Looked it up to find out some more details and it says production dates 1988-1996

Sounds great, looks great and can't wait to get going now.......first lesson booked for the 18th

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts in the thread, I look forward to reading and learning now!!

"[url="http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/dannyc17/library/Jazz%20Bass"]http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/dannyc17/library/Jazz%20Bass[/url]

Edited by Dannyc