Why become a member? ×

Taper-wound strings for Fender USA Precision V strung through-body

Ed_S

Hi all,

Not sure if this would be more at home in the 'repairs and technical' - mods please move if you feel it is - but I'm having an issue with finding the right strings for my Fender USA Standard Precision V and wondered if anyone can offer some advice? I want to be able to string through the body, but am finding that:

a] this limits the brands I'm able to select from as some aren't long enough to get over the nut at full width when bought as a long scale set, but are still at full width beyond the peg when bought as extra long and

b] the B string (.130) is bent at pretty much a right-angle over the saddle, and the saddle itself is at quite an unnatural angle:

Excuse the dust! The setup pictured was done by Jon Shuker when I took the bass to have the nut replaced and whilst it played fine for a while, the B string is now sounding dead long before its expected expiry date (less than 10 hours of playing at home) and even if that's got nothing at all to do with the setup and it's just a duff string, if I'm going to buy it a new set I'd prefer to sort this out at the same time.

So, I'm looking for a set of (or the ability to buy 4 plus the single 5th string to construct a set of) NPS round-wound strings in 45,65,80,100,130 gauges with a taper-wound B string which from the front face of the ball-end (not counting the ball end itself) to the start of the taper is at least 5.5cm to get over the saddle, and then carries on at full thickness for about another 88cm to get over the nut before starting to reduce back down to get round the peg.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of anything that fits the description? I've sent a couple of emails out to manufacturers but so far nobody's replied.

Many thanks in advance,
Ed

Can't name many from the top of my head but there are plenty of sets out there with a taperwound B - check out the Fender 82505M (although these have a tapered E as well):

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/912338/fender-super-bass-82505m-nickel-plated-steel-bass-guitar-strings-45-130-long-scale-5-string/

And these Dunlop's could fit the bill, only a .125 B here but they do a .130 in their other sets so they might make them tapered in that size too:

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/919536/jim-dunlop-5-string-nickel-plated-45-125-medium-tapered-b-string-long-scale-bass-guitar-strings/

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1391256783' post='2355007']
Can't name many from the top of my head but there are plenty of sets out there with a taperwound B - check out the Fender 82505M (although these have a tapered E as well):

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/912338/fender-super-bass-82505m-nickel-plated-steel-bass-guitar-strings-45-130-long-scale-5-string/
[/quote]

These are the strings that come on the P5 stock by the way, as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THITANX322E

Cheers for the suggestions, guys.

I'd not actually considered Fender strings given that they're the first thing I've taken off every Fender I've ever bought. That said, chances are that what rolls out of the factory might not be the same as what arrives in the packet.

Steels I love, but I'm trying to limit the number of basses I chew the frets up on. I can see both my workhorse P's (4 string) needing a re-fret before long, which for the one with the lacquered maple board, probably won't be much fun.

I'll be honest, I'm stuck between spending the cash on new strings and maybe more work to get this how I want it, or just saying sod it and trading it in against the Markbass combo I'm fancying. I've recently acquired a Ray35 which sits nicely alongside my MIM Jazz V and together they're making the P seem less and less comfortable. Dunno yet.. need to have a good think!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. In the end, I decided that the strings were just the last point on a list of reasons I didn't get on with that bass, so I swapped it for the Markbass combo I wanted, and having spent some time playing my MIM Jazz V and Ray35 through it, am confident I made the right call.