Why become a member? ×

Best head/cab combo you have played and why

StuOfEmbers

Simms-Watts AP100 into just about any cab. Clean sound that seemed like it could punch holes in a brick wall! Had to sell it as a hard up student, but recently acquired a Sound City 120 that has a very similar sound, and I've been told that Hiwatt DR103s are along the same lines. The Sound City is paired with Ampeg 410 and 115 cabs, relegating my SVT CL to being a backup.

I once played through an Accoustic stack with head.
It was the best sound I have ever heard.
I think there was a 1x18, a 4x10, then the head and a triple-horn on top.

It was so good, I nearly pooped myself and that was 30 years ago.
Now I am a bit older, I nearly pooped myself again, just thinking about it!

[quote name='davedave' timestamp='1391276401' post='2355315']
Matamp GT200 and a Barefaced '69er. Gain and bass up full volume at 75%. So fat and round, yet still defined. It's made me fall in love with my Ricky 4003 again.
[/quote]
When I win the lottery, that's what I'm aiming for too!

I took my Thunderfunk 750 and 3 AE112 cabs to the gig last night. It was the jam night backline and a guy got up with a Marcus Miller Jazz, cranked up, and it was the best bass sound I've heard in ages.

He used my settings and just filled the room with fat, punchy bass.

• 2 weeks later...

I am chiming in to say that I am very chuffed with my current rig of a Genz Benz ShuttleMax9.2 (RIP Genz...) + an 8 ohm Warwick 411, which is a 4x10 with a HF horn (that I turn down a little bit). Should more volume be needed, I have another 411 (4x10 + horn) to shove on it, but this Genz amp is the loudest thing I have ever used.

Why happy? Because of the blendable channels; tube channel for some dirt and grit + the FET channel for a cold slab of bass. I have previously used amps that didn't drive into 8ohms at very high power and there wasn't the air-moving push from them, but I am more than happy with this. It's bliss (and I hardly have to turn it up).

Those Warwick cabs go dirt cheap on ebay. Remember that a cabinet may have been abused, but as with any speakers, they will sound different as they are "worn in" so likely sound less harsh the older they are. I am happy with the sound of mine still anyway, and they are over 10 years old.

Ive played through 4 rigs to get to a sound i love (and 2 combos), perhaps all with different basses....so hard for a comparison, but here goes:

1.Ashdown Mag300 and Mag 4x10 cab with a USA precision.
to be honest i never really like the sound. kind of thin and wiry and heavier on low E, and quiet on the G so no real balance. however, it did fit with the band. would i have one again? not really. for the size and weight, there are much better, but i notice theyre dirt cheap nowadays.

2.Ashdown Superfly and 4x8 ABM mini and 1x15 ABM mini with USA precision.
perhaps the biggest disappointment ive had. id read so many good comments about the cabs and indeed the superfly, but i thought this set up was very poor. no power or volume, no punch. im still kind of convinced i was doing something wrong because it was a £100 sound at best.

3.Mark Bass LM3 with Mark Bass 2x10 Traveller cab with Tokai bass.
Finally getting close to the tone i was after. As we were a 4 piece (drums, bass, guitar and vox) i needed to fill more so had a duller 60s motown sound but it was a really nice tone that sat with the band well. Not a lot of punch but thats was a deliberate choice.

4.Mark Bass LM3 with Mark Bass 2x10 Traveller cab with homemade custom jazz style bass with quarter pounder pickups.
We finally added a keyboard player which gave me licence to dial in the tone i was after rather than having to fill dead air which the keys could now do. Id always loved Jazz basses played through Mark Bass amps when id heard them from others, and when id finished my project couldnt wait to give it a go. Wound the bridge and tone fully on and neck about a quarter and added in some high mids. Wow! lovely deep, tight, rich sound and plenty of control from the bass with no overspill when playing fast or funkier lines. Love this set up!

BEst sound ive heard of others was a Yamaha (didnt see which model, a BB?) played through a Fender Bassman - such a rich sound....but bloody massive, i presume heavy and fragile!

Edited by la bam

[quote name='alanbass1' timestamp='1393237737' post='2377561']
When I was touring back in the 80's I had a pair of 70's SVTs and 8x10 cabs - with my P Bass this was 'the' sound for me. Unfortunately, I gave up my pro life at the end of the 80's and when I had to cart the gear around myself these went (before my back!).
[/quote]

Same here... you really need someone else to be hauling those... unbeatable live sound though, IMO. :) I'm currently [size=4]enjoying my Burman valve gear through my newly-acquired Schroeder 1212L, though I've yet to gig it. Soon, my Precious, soon! [/size] :gas:

There are some pretty expensive/exotic rigs posted here so I thought I'd throw in a cheap & cheerful one.

Over several years I've bought & sold several amps & cabs but always kept my Peavey Max 160 head into an Ampeg B115E, (no pedals). A simple, cheap, & relatively lightweight rig. I have the EQ flat with just a slight dip around 800Hz & get a warm even tone. Reliability has been 100% for the past decade.

I've had a few combinations over the years, but I really like the Markbass: Little Mark Tube 800 head, running through an Ampeg: Heritage SVT-410HLF cab. Both head, and cab are 4 ohms. The LMT 800 is 500 watts @ 8 ohms, 800 watts @ 4 ohms. The HSVT-410 is 500 watts RMS, and 1,000 watts peak. It just sounds great! The Heritage SVT-410HLF cab, is about 10 pounds lighter than the Ampeg: Classic SVT-410HLF. Every little bit counts. US Eminence 10's are in the cab.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xsSVp44.jpg[/IMG]