Why become a member? ×

Best head/cab combo you have played and why

StuOfEmbers

Not sure if there is already a thread about this (im new, and had a look but couldn't see anything so figured i would start one!)

As the title says, whats the best head/cab combo you have ever played, and why?

For me, it has to be my current rig:

Orange Bass Terror 500 watt head through an Ampeg 4x10.

Previous to this i was playing a Hartke 250 head through the Ampeg (personally there really isnt any other cab for me), but it just didn't seem to have that "warm" tone I've been looking for, it was sounding far too clicky. I've still got it kicking around somewhere, should probably get on with selling it!

Anyone that has played the Bass Terror knows how powerful that lil guy is, I like how the tone controls are basic, i have enough tone shaping options with my pedal board and bass, so not having to play around with a spectrum EQ on stage, for me, is a great thing. In the studio i just use a plug in if I'm wanting a bit more sculpting options.

P.S Lunchbox heads are the way of the future! No more sore backs for us bass players after lugging around 2000000 tonnes worth of equipment!

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[color=#222222]Tough one this as 'taste gets in the way; one man’s meat is another man’s poison etc. I would suggest that the sound quality of bass heads over recent years has been pretty good, and fairly hard to find a really bad one, not so with cabs, and in a head/cab combo the cab should be were the money’s spent. Your comment on the Ameg being the ‘only cab for you’ suggests you’ve tried all the others, if you have I would be surprised the Ampeg wins, but then again, ‘taste’, and that would be a crazy topic to get into.[/color]
[color=#222222]One of my faves at the moment is a GB Streamliner through a Berg CN212, but that’s this month.[/color]

My 2 sonic loves are:

LMIII through an EAD Foundation212
for clean versatile pop/rock/funk covers with my acg 5'er :)

and

Orange AD200B through an Orange OBC115
for rich and fat country rock originals with a pbass and flats :)

Horses for courses and all that ;)

Best setup is my current one - old Trace heads (200 & 250 watters) through my BF Compact. Does exactly what I want tonally, easy to transport, and more than loud enough for this pub gigging weekend warrior.

A recent fling with a S12 didn't really float my boat for some reason, the Compact just does 'it' for me.

Cheers

Geoff

EDIT: I've just realised my fave head (AH200) will be celebrating its Silver anniversary this year. Blimey.

Edited by RandomBass

My LMll through a Schroeder 1212L was amazing, great sound and stupid loud which is why I had to move it on as it was barely ticking over in my current band. Because of this I now run a Phil Jones Cub through a PB300, an almost identical tone to the Mark Bass/Schro combo but more refined and articulate, plus I can wind it up and let it breathe.

I`ve had numerous rigs that I`ve really liked, think my fave soundwise was probably my Little Mark Tube and Markbass 104HR cab but having a bad back, even that cab was too much. So my current rig is my fave all-rounder - just wish there was a little bit of tubey-gain like the LMT.

I've played through some great rigs, Ampeg SVT's etc, but the best head/cab combo I've owned is my current rig (Aguilar TH500 through Bergantino CN212). That's why it replaced the last one (Thunderfunk TFB750 through 1, 2 or 3 Bergantino AE112 cabs), which is still good enough to get the occasional outing.

The best head / cab combination that I've ever played was a pair of Marshall Super Bass hundreds through 4, 4x12 Sound City cabinets. The sound was clean with just a bit of valve 'edge', not overly loud but consistent wherever I went on or off stage. High highs and low lows and incredibly responsive. It looked amazing as well.

It's taken a long time for me to get to where I want to be. I've had two Hartke LH500s and a Laney NX115 before but never at the same time.

My current setup of NX410 on the floor with the NX115 above it and the LH1000 on top is spectacular. The reasoning being that the 410 pumps out a lot of trouser flapping bass and the NX115 is a really clear cab and at nearly ear level I can hear myself perfectly.

Part of my tone is also the green Precision with EMGs into the passive input of the amp which I fitted a JJ ECC83s valve gives me nice subtle overdrive.

When we did a sound check the other week, the guitarist said that my sound was consistently good from right in front of the stage to the back of the room and I've never had that before.

[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/20140125_205600_zpsffabda35.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by Delberthot

For sheer 'RAWK' grunt and thunder I've been impressed with a Hartke LH500 through an Ampeg 8x10, but currently I'm running a 1993 SWR SM400 into a Hartke Hydrive 410 and that does everythingI need it too, in fact often I don't even use the EQ, just a liberal sprinkling of the Aural Enhancer® and I'm off.

Mind ya, I have no experience to talk about, but FWiW:

Ashdown Little Bastard 30 + two LB 112 cabs
for velvety but still well defined old skool sound

Genz Benz GBE 750, for the time being with those same Ashdown cabs
for large, detailed, transient-willing, airy (headroomy) sound - plus for added overdrive noise if I want to.
That said, I expect a lot from the GBE with the Vanderkleys and Barefaceds I'm getting later.

my fave amps have been the svt classic, svt vr, trace va350 also the eden david series amps, there are many more that ive not used enough (or at all) to comment on though. Think my fave cab was an eden 4 by 10.

Edited by Tdw