Why become a member? ×

Remember when.......?

squire5

My first amp was a Laney 100w "Klipp" bought from a kays catalogue. I also ordered a Fal speaker cab too but when I got it I thought it looked cheap and lacked "street cred" (it had a 15" Fane speaker inside) so I sent it back ....

I went to a Carlsbro dealer in Mansfield and bought a second hand 2x15" Carlsbro cab for £90 instead.....it weighed a ton and was a nightmare to get upstairs to my bedroom!!!!
This was in !975 by the way if anyone was wondering!

Does anybody else remember a very similar catalogue from a company in Manchester? Maybe this is the catalogue I remember and I am getting confused after all these years .

I remember a girl who played in a punk band that worked in the same office as my dad gave him a copy of a catalogue just like this for me to look at not long after I first started playing. I can vividly recall the black and white photographs of Shaftsbury Rickenbacker copies, nondescript Hohner basses and , the crowning glory, a Sunburst Fender Jazz Bass with all the metal covers on in all its' blocked and bound 1970's glory. Looking back now , it's like remembering some era of Soviet-like austerity and shortages. This catalogue reminds me why I am not nostalgic for the 1970's.

First place I ever saw a Park 100w Treble n Bass tranny head & wanted one instantly. Didn't know about the Marshall link at the time, but it was a Marshall I bought.
A few years ago my son bought a s/h pair of the lower Marshall PA columns on Pp53 for £60. Between them they had 4 pristine Celestion Greenbacks & also similar in 10". :gas:

15 years old, with a 30 watt Fenton-Weill Combo to my name, and I had just been offered a job with my Dad's Dance Band. Off we went to the showroom in Newton Aycliffe, where he signed as Guarantor for a Selmer Treble/n/Bass 100 watt Amp and a Selmer Goliath 15" Cab. £90 for the Amp and £80 for the Cab. I was out that regularly, I managed to pay the bill off in three months. B)

:) used to spend ages at Bell's Music (and Bootleg in epsom and ABC in Kingston) all gone now - Bell's used to have a fantastic mural on the side of it as well - wish I'd taken a photo at the time.

Sadly it went downhill very quickly in the nineties selling cheap stock very badly set up :(

Yeah I thought that this would stir a few memories.I cant remember how it was possible to get the catalogue in the first place.Whether it was mail order or whatever,but I do remember having recurring editions.I know it was during the 60s when I used to read it because I was still at school at the time, and I would always have it in my schoolbag and me and other kids would pore over it during breaks.Ah heady days!

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1391347323' post='2356011']
Yeah I thought that this would stir a few memories.I cant remember how it was possible to get the catalogue in the first place.Whether it was mail order or whatever,but I do remember having recurring editions.I know it was during the 60s when I used to read it because I was still at school at the time, and I would always have it in my schoolbag and me and other kids would pore over it during breaks.Ah heady days!
[/quote]I recall a mate at school sent off for it (circa '82) from a Bell's ad in the Exchange and Mart. Wish I still had a copy, 'Making Music' magazine (A5 sized) was the other source of out of reach gear to read about.

[quote name='The fasting showman' timestamp='1391364522' post='2356267']
I recall a mate at school sent off for it (circa '82) from a Bell's ad in the Exchange and Mart. Wish I still had a copy, 'Making Music' magazine (A5 sized) was the other source of out of reach gear to read about.
[/quote]

I've still got some copies of Making Music on my bookshelves. I wonder what happened to it - subsumed into another mag I presume? I'll have them out and scan som pages.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1391367231' post='2356328']
I've still got some copies of Making Music on my bookshelves. I wonder what happened to it - subsumed into another mag I presume? I'll have them out and scan som pages.
[/quote]Yep, me too. I've got the one with a review of the Steinberger bass, Hiwatt Maxwatt (the real one CP103) and a John Entwistle interview!
Feeling very misty eyed about the music shops back then in early '80s Birmingham...I'll stop at this point!