Why become a member? ×

Should I stop playing for a while due to severe pain I experienced days ago?

bass2345

Hi. Before I start let me define my terms the way I understand them: soreness is a normal, dull, mild, quite uncomfortable sensation you usually get during or after exercise, while pain is a very uncomfortable and sometimes sharp sensation. That difference is important.

Last week I reduced the dosage of some medication I'm taking for mental health problems. Since then I've experienced [i]soreness[/i] and stiffness in various areas but especially the wrists, shoulders and back. During the same time period I've also increased the amount I've been practicing and challenged myself more with the bass.

I think I wouldn't be worried about [i]soreness[/i] if that's all that I've experienced since I think that the soreness is in and of itself normal as far as I can tell. However, I did get some bad [i]pain[/i] at some point on Tuesday night while trying to work out my wrist/forearm technique as I sat in a bad posture. The pain was in my back, neck and/or shoulders I think. I'm not sure how severe it was, how long it lasted or if it came back. I'm confused because I've had a lot of [i]soreness[/i] since then, but I don't think I've had much if any [i]pain[/i], at least since Tuesday night, if not since a few seconds, minutes or hours after the most painful incident.The soreness I'm experiencing moves round and comes and goes. It is not constant, nor is it in the same place every time I notice it. I do not notice it whenever I practice, or at least I didn't notice it much curing a practice session yesterday.

Although soreness is in itself normal I'm worried because of the pain I experienced on Tuesday and the not-so-bad soreness, and possibly worse stuff, that keeps coming back in the same place(s), sometimes when I'm not practicing. I don't want to get an injury, RSI or tendonitis, which I may cause if I continue to play, or I may increase the chances of getting them if I continue to play, even though I'm not sure if I've had severe pain for a while. I'm concerned that people say if you experience pain stop what you are doing and see a doctor, and I didn't do either and don't know if I should, even though it hasn't been terrible since that time period on Tuesday night.

Note: I have been told I may interpret what some people recognize as pain as mere discomfort, since I have a high pain threshold after experiencing severe chronic pain in the foot a few years ago. Therefore I may not realise how much damage I'm doing to myself because I see pain differently from some - probably most - people in that way,

I'm with HandWired, although the guys on here are very experienced with bass playing and I'm sure some might have experienced your type of symptoms, they/we are not doctors.

if your worried about it, your doctor is the person you should be talking to. no doubt.! soreness can be part of playing for long periods. like having sore fingers after playing. pain imo, isn't good, its your body's way of telling you what your doing is too much.

better to seek professional medical advise in my opinion. I'm pretty sure everyone else will say the same.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1391130037' post='2353731']
Be prepared to get all sorts of advise from this Forum but [b]your Doctor is where you should go first as he'll be more familiar with you and your history[/b].
[/quote]

This.

Though if you look at any medical related thread on BC, the majority will say "see your Dr".

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1391130037' post='2353731']
Be prepared to get all sorts of advise from this Forum but your Doctor is where you should go first as he'll be more familiar with you and your history.
[/quote]

As above

I have a policy (with a physical job, bad back and various other issues) that I will play football and bass until I fall apart, which is happening fast, I would not recommend anyone else to do this though.

Good luck and hope you find a remedy or at least a balance that keeps you happy.

There are formal methods for determining objective degrees of 'pain'; I'd suspect most doctors know how to evaluate the descriptions given by patients. Explain all to your GP, including your doubts on the definition of 'pain', 'discomfort' etc, and you'll get the correct advice appertaining to your specific condition. Meanwhile, I wouldn't recommend continuing. Get that referral first, I'd say...
Hope this helps.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1391160968' post='2353866']
And correct the bad posture...
[/quote]

I'd wager 99% of folk around here don't know how to do this without causing more problems in the process. Yes, definately visit the GP.
Also, if you'd like to take things further, you could enquire about BAPAM, they treat performing artists up and down the country and have more in depth knowledge about issues associated with performing artists and their problems than the average GP.

Good luck with your health and career :)

One thing I would add is: are you reducing your medication with your doctors knowledge/approval? If not it might not be a great idea, regardless of how you're feeling with regard to your condition. Believe me, I speak from experience here.

If you seek medical advice for the pain you're experiencing you'll have to let them know about the fact you've reduced your meds anyway or without the full picture they might not make an accurate diagnosis.

Edited by RhysP

Thanks everyone. I've spoken to an experienced nurse that I know (I realise she's not a doctor but she's still a medical professional) and she basically said or gave me the impression that since the pain has not come back, at least not as badly, for a few days, and since she got the impression that the pain did not last for a long time continuously I shouldn't worry about it. On the basis of what she said and what I've been experiencing, I think it would probably be a waste of the doctor's/patients' time and a waste of practice time if I stopped playing and went to see the doctor.

[quote name='bass2345' timestamp='1391178885' post='2354210']
Thanks everyone. I've spoken to an experienced nurse that I know (I realise she's not a doctor but she's still a medical professional) and she basically said or gave me the impression that since the pain has not come back, at least not as badly, for a few days, and since she got the impression that the pain did not last for a long time continuously I shouldn't worry about it. On the basis of what she said and what I've been experiencing, I think it would probably be a waste of the doctor's/patients' time and a waste of practice time if I stopped playing and went to see the doctor.
[/quote]

That's good news. If the pain flares up again, then see a doctor. It is always best not to ignore pain or play through it.