Why become a member? ×

Prince Sues . . .

flyfisher

First time I ever saw him, was a picture in one of the old music papers,.. he had his hand down his speedos and the text read that he was searching for inspiration,.. if he does indeed have the Midas touch then he'll be in the sequel to Goldmember. Ahhh, I wish to $£@# I hadn't remembered that.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391003787' post='2352136']
I bet he won't follow through (arf). It's an astute bit of publicity, nothing more.
[/quote]

I don't know, I can remember when "puerile digital arts community" b3ta.com ran a week of photoshopping Prince. The results were generally hilarious (provided you weren't Prince, I guess) but his legal team didn't like it one bit. A rather sheepish note went up a couple of days later to say that his legal team could probably sue them for more than their servers were worth, so could people stop posting humorously mangled pictures of Prince, please?

Speaking of suing, perhaps there are some lawyers out there who could confirm or correct my understanding that you can only sue for substantiated damages. Thus, for example, if I was playing football (fat chance!) and broke someone's window I could only be sued for the cost of the repairs, i.e. compensation for what was actually lost. I couldn't be sued for £1m just because the window's owner got stroppy about it.

So, how exactly do we think Prince has been damaged by people posting videos of his gigs on YouTube? Not vague, fanciful, or hypothetical damage but actual substantiated and provable damage.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391014911' post='2352299']
But stealing what?

What has the person concerned been deprived of? What is their actual loss?
[/quote]

In a similar vein; in this case he could argue that he's lost the revenue from the proposed film because he's "had to" cancel it due to the plot being leaked.
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25923343"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25923343[/url]

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1391016691' post='2352324']
In a similar vein; in this case he could argue that he's lost the revenue from the proposed film because he's "had to" cancel it due to the plot being leaked.
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25923343"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-25923343[/url]
[/quote]

Yes, I saw that story. It's all very tricky, though leaking a clearly confidential document seems worse than posting a video of an actual performance, to me anyway. it'll be interesting to see what legal precedents are set by these cases - assuming they actually get as far as a firm verdict.

A thought for folk who question what it is that artists actually ' lose '.

I saw an old movie starring Alec 'I've got a big light sabre' Guiness called 'The Card' in which he comes across a fisherman at the seaside bemoaning the fact that his boat is buggered and he can't make a living. Alec pays for the boat fixing and employs the fisherman to take tourists on trips around the bay. Makes a fortune. He's sitting counting his brass when the fisdhetman says to him ' that's a lot of money for doing nothing'.

'But I did do something' says Alec.

' I thought of it'.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391013446' post='2352275']
So, how exactly do we think Prince has been damaged by people posting videos of his gigs on YouTube? Not vague, fanciful, or hypothetical damage but actual substantiated and provable damage.
[/quote]

[size=4]That is a question that I doubt anyone on this forum can answer.[/size]
[size=4]However, [/size][size=4]him pretending to be grumpy about it is excellent publicity for his upcoming UK tour starting next month.[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391023096' post='2352420'][size=4]However, [/size][size=4]him pretending to be grumpy about it is excellent publicity for his upcoming UK tour starting next month.[/size][/quote]

Or it might reduce the sea of mobiles sticking up in the air that you get at most name gigs these days; it's gets a tad annoying after a while.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1391022421' post='2352412']
A thought for folk who question what it is that artists actually ' lose '.

I saw an old movie starring Alec 'I've got a big light sabre' Guiness called 'The Card' in which he comes across a fisherman at the seaside bemoaning the fact that his boat is buggered and he can't make a living. Alec pays for the boat fixing and employs the fisherman to take tourists on trips around the bay. Makes a fortune. He's sitting counting his brass when the fisdhetman says to him ' that's a lot of money for doing nothing'.

'But I did do something' says Alec.

' I thought of it'.
[/quote]

Sounds like a defence for banker's bonuses. ;)

It also reminds me of this old joke:

[i]A multi-million dollar power plant had mysteriously ground to a halt. All efforts to restart it had failed and an expert was brought in. After studying the problem for a few minutes he took a hammer and hit one of the valves. With a rumble, the plant came back to life. Incredulous glances were shared, grateful cries and high-fives were exchanged. Later, the expert’s bill arrived for the amount of $10,000.00. The outraged executive in charge thought “All he did was hit a valve with a hammer, this bill is ridiculous.” he asked for an itemized breakdown and the consultant responded with a bill that read: “Hitting valve with hammer $10.00. Knowing which valve to hit: $9,990.00.”[/i]

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1390912329' post='2351117']
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25927363"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-25927363[/url]

So what do we think is more important about music - the money or the art?

Does a multi-millionaire musician suing fans do more harm than good?
[/quote]

A guy I'm friends with on Facebook is a massive Prince fan - He's made covers of his songs, and they just get taken down. He/his label are very particular about making sure there is no unwarranted sharing of their music. Fans of his are well aware of that. I'm not sure why you would post things like that when you know his position on these things.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391023096' post='2352420']
However, him pretending to be grumpy about it is excellent publicity for his upcoming UK tour starting next month.
[/quote]

The sad thing is that he probably is genuinely put out by it, and not just doing it for publicity (although that might be a bonus).

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391085753' post='2353040']
A guy I'm friends with on Facebook is a massive Prince fan - He's made covers of his songs, and they just get taken down. He/his label are very particular about making sure there is no unwarranted sharing of their music. Fans of his are well aware of that.[b] I'm not sure why you would post things like that when you know his position on these things.[/b]
[/quote]

Because I'm not interested in HIS position, which is quite obvious, I'm interesting in OUR views on the subject.
That's why I asked "what do WE think . . . ".

Is that a problem?

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391104258' post='2353346']
Because I'm not interested in HIS position, which is quite obvious, I'm interesting in OUR views on the subject.

Is that a problem?
[/quote]

Err, no? Allow me to explain why it isn't a problem -

I wasn't talking about you posting this topic, I was talking about people posting videos of Prince's gigs online.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391085753' post='2353040']
A guy I'm friends with on Facebook is a massive Prince fan - He's made covers of his songs, and they just get taken down. He/his label are very particular about making sure there is no unwarranted sharing of their music. Fans of his are well aware of that. I'm not sure why you would post things like that when you know his position on these things.
[/quote]
[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391104258' post='2353346']

Is that a problem?
[/quote]

Yes, indeed, wrong end of the stick, old son. Faulty grammar, really. Might have been better without the vernacular 'you', ie: [color=#800080]Fans of his are well aware of that. I'm not sure why [s]you[/s] [b]they [/b]would post things like that when [s]you[/s] [b]they [/b]know his position on these things.[/color]
The impersonal 'one' would have done the trick, too...
Bloody Irish..! :P

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1391106080' post='2353380']
Yes, indeed, wrong end of the stick, old son. Faulty grammar, really. Might have been better without the vernacular 'you', ie: [color=#800080]Fans of his are well aware of that. I'm not sure why [s]you[/s] [b]they [/b]would post things like that when [s]you[/s] [b]they [/b]know his position on these things.[/color]
The impersonal 'one' would have done the trick, too...
Bloody Irish..! :P
[/quote]

Yes, bad grammar indeed, although I didn't think anybody would think I was actually referring to them personally. It's just the way I talk. I also don't pronounce Ts unless they are at the start of a word. Oh well - live and learn :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391106276' post='2353382']
Yes, bad grammar indeed, although I didn't think anybody would think I was actually referring to them personally. It's just the way I talk. I also don't pronounce Ts unless they are at the start of a word. Oh well - live and learn :)
[/quote]

Quite, hence the term 'vernacular'. Formal writing and conversation face to face have differing needs. Bloody Irish..! :P :lol:

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391104614' post='2353353']
Err, no? Allow me to explain why it isn't a problem -

I wasn't talking about you posting this topic, I was talking about people posting videos of Prince's gigs online.
[/quote]

Fair enough. But apart from Dad's point, as you specifically quoted me, I assumed (quite reasonably I think) that you were addressing the question to me.

Tricky things forums. ;)

Still, no harm done.