Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Tobias Signature 5 late Burbank
£2100

Brams77

Up for sale, a beautiful Signature 5
7 piece neck with walnut purple heart wenge body is goncalo alves back and top with a walnut core
The fretboard is a type of rosewood Madagascar or flatsawn wenge.. I really cant tell...
Bartolini pickups and 3 band preamp with mid selector switch..
This bass is a bit controversial as it's has serial 2044 which should be the last serial made in Burbank CA by Mike Tobias and crew. I informed Mike about this bass he stated the last bass was a Basic 5 that came out of his shop and not a Signature 5. So apparently there are two Tobias basses with the serial 2044.
I showed him pictures of the instrument over the mail a while ago he did notice the carving on the body was recognisable as Burbank era, as do the bridge and pickups. Conclusion it was misnumbered by one of his employees or was numbered by someone from Gibson as they shipped all unfinnished goods to Nashville after Gibson closed the shop in Burbank.
Anyway the wood and workmanship were done in Burbank, he insured me that much...
This bass belonged to the Canadian bassist late Andrew Lusher, he put on a hipshot a style bridge which I reverted back to the original Wilkinson type of bridge so it looks the way it was when it was originally shipped to it's first owner.

Very very nice playing instrument great allround tone, comparable to an MTD which I also owned but a little more alround and less upfront. I'm only selling this baby co's I have an eye on a similar 6 string Tobias...
So this will be a temporary sale if the option closes I'll pull this add. This is a very special bass.

Edited by Brams77

Ok things have changed GAS was acting up so I bought the Tobias Classic 6 so the add will be on for a little longer;)
Also a nice chance to see how they hold up to one another, could even be the 6er goes on basschat and not this one...
Oh well...