Why become a member? ×

January Composition Competition - VOTING!

Skol303

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1390830938' post='2349961']
Hmmm, maybe this explains the low voter turnout; BCers in Turkey can't access the tracks
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1390834074' post='2350027']
If one of my violins had been a banjo, I would have sued.
[/quote]

:o I thought it was [i]all[/i] banjo..! Time to start thinking of hearing aids..? :blush:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1390834074' post='2350027']
If one of my violins had been a banjo, I would have sued.
[/quote]

you should check out bela fleck

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3-PZvA_Jjs&list=RD957YgIjkhZY[/media]

and this piece has one of my favourite double bass solo's in , which starts at 2:52, just after a fantastic fretless bass solo
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Nym8vN3dc[/media]

Edited by AL-the-Bassman

Great stuff again gents , top fun listening through , I have cast my vote but it could Have gone to any of them to be honest , I am humbled to have 2 votes as well , many thanks to those and congratulations to all the participants
[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1390776568' post='2349486']
I've just listened and submitted my vote...well done to you all!
I've been thinking of giving the compositions a go but the level has been set so high :(
[/quote]

Dive in the waters lovely :D , you will get superb support and help if you need it , I am pretty much a noob to writing, recording and producing , and while it undoubtedly shows :rolleyes: , the pace at which you learn is fantastic and it is soooo much fun putting them together .

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1390776568' post='2349486']
I've just listened and submitted my vote...well done to you all!
I've been thinking of giving the compositions a go but the level has been set so high :(
[/quote]

Go for it ,
the more people involved the better

it gets you to think outside the box on random subject matter,
its a great exercise

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1390777059' post='2349493']
Thanks for the participation in the voting; next month, no false modesty..! Cut yourself some slack and have a go..! The level..? Complimentary, and appreciated, but you're quite certainly capable of doing what I, and some others here can do. We are not all high-flyers (for my part, I'm not even a bassist..!). Try it, it's great fun, and excellent motivation for learning all sorts of stuff. Up to you, of course, but don't feel intimidated. Give it a shot..?
[/quote]
[quote name='AL-the-Bassman' timestamp='1390852349' post='2350458']
Go for it ,
the more people involved the better

it gets you to think outside the box on random subject matter,
its a great exercise
[/quote]

I don't even know where to start! I'm fine recording bass but that's about as far I go :D

How do you go around drums, guitars? Do you record them yourselves?... and other instruments I hear on some of the recordings?

Edited by PauBass

Drums are available as virtual instruments , midi or even drum machines , as are most instruments to be honest , it took me a fair bit of hair pulling to learn the recording process but all of a sudden bits sink in fine and it seems to make sense . I mostly put my instruments through a simple audio interface straight into the computer and overdub them.

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1390857607' post='2350610']I don't even know where to start! I'm fine recording bass but that's about as far I go :D

How do you go around drums, guitars? Do you record them yourselves?... and other instruments I hear on some of the recordings?
[/quote]

Easiest way to start is to use a pre-written drum loop and record something over the top of it.

Which reminds me that the 'getting started at recording' thread that we've been promising is long overdue! :D I'll make a start on drafting something ASAP which will answer exactly these sorts of questions...

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1390857607' post='2350610']
I don't even know where to start! I'm fine recording bass but that's about as far I go :D

[/quote]

There's a ton of variants here for reply. A couple of ways that I've used; there's many others that will doubtless get added.
The first recommendation I'd give would be to have a look at '[url="http://www.reaper.fm/"]Reaper[/url]'. It's a programme for recording on a PC (Mac, too, I think...). As a source, one can choose between audio files, 'live' input from instruments, 'virtual' instruments or MIDI commands. There are a heck of a lot of treatments delivered (EQ, compressors, echo... the list is long...) for treating the various sources or the final mixed tracks.
A simple source would be ones own instrument. Whilst it's possible to simply plug in to the 'mic' input of the PC, an interface is better. As I'm very 'minimalist', I use a simple cable which adapts jack to usb (Alesis, costs about £12-15...). Works a treat. For drums, there's a number of programmes for generating drum loops, either completely artificially or from samples. Some can be quite complex, but many are very easy to manipulate for at least a minimum of backing beat. Virtual instruments, such as strings, brass or keys can be had similarly. There are free versions, or one may choose something a bit more costly but with greater possibilities. Most PC's have at least a minimum of MIDI implementation, and can already play General MIDI sounds. Reaper has a MIDI editor to set these off as an easy way to start.
The web is awash with a multitude of sources for sound files, too, for using as 'loop' material, or integrate into compositions. The sky's the limit...
There, I think I've covered enough to at least whet the appetite. The subject is vast, and I certainly don't have all the answers (far from it...). All here will be more than willing to help out further, though. Ask away... B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1390858160' post='2350626']
Drums are available as virtual instruments , midi or even drum machines , as are most instruments to be honest , it took me a fair bit of hair pulling to learn the recording process but all of a sudden bits sink in fine and it seems to make sense . I mostly put my instruments through a simple audio interface straight into the computer and overdub them.
[/quote]
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1390858367' post='2350631']
Easiest way to start is to use a pre-written drum loop and record something over the top of it.

Which reminds me that the 'getting started at recording' thread that we've been promising is long overdue! :D I'll make a start on drafting something ASAP which will answer exactly these sorts of questions...
[/quote]

Lurksalot, I quoted you on my previous post but for some reason didn't appear on my post....strange :huh:

Anyway, thank you both for your advice.

Yes, getting that [b]'getting started at recording'[/b] thread would be great!

Any suggestions for virtual drums, please?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1390858815' post='2350649']
There's a ton of variants here for reply. A couple of ways that I've used; there's many others that will doubtless get added.
The first recommendation I'd give would be to have a look at '[url="http://www.reaper.fm/"]Reaper[/url]'. It's a programme for recording on a PC (Mac, too, I think...). As a source, one can choose between audio files, 'live' input from instruments, 'virtual' instruments or MIDI commands. There are a heck of a lot of treatments delivered (EQ, compressors, echo... the list is long...) for treating the various sources or the final mixed tracks.
A simple source would be ones own instrument. Whilst it's possible to simply plug in to the 'mic' input of the PC, an interface is better. As I'm very 'minimalist', I use a simple cable which adapts jack to usb (Alesis, costs about £12-15...). Works a treat. For drums, there's a number of programmes for generating drum loops, either completely artificially or from samples. Some can be quite complex, but many are very easy to manipulate for at least a minimum of backing beat. Virtual instruments, such as strings, brass or keys can be had similarly. There are free versions, or one may choose something a bit more costly but with greater possibilities. Most PC's have at least a minimum of MIDI implementation, and can already play General MIDI sounds. Reaper has a MIDI editor to set these off as an easy way to start.
The web is awash with a multitude of sources for sound files, too, for using as 'loop' material, or integrate into compositions. The sky's the limit...
There, I think I've covered enough to at least whet the appetite. The subject is vast, and I certainly don't have all the answers (far from it...). All here will be more than willing to help out further, though. Ask away... B)
[/quote]

Yes, I've heard about Reaper, at the moment I use Mixcraft because it's very easyand I already have a Line 6 UX2 interface.
I'm use to recording my playing along to music tracks but that;s it.

Any recommendations for free, to start with, drums, virtual instruments and sound files?...sorry for all the questions.

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1390859220' post='2350662']
Yes, I've heard about Reaper, at the moment I use Mixcraft because it's very easyand I already have a Line 6 UX2 interface.
I'm use to recording my playing along to music tracks but that;s it.

Any recommendations for free, to start with, drums, virtual instruments and sound files?...sorry for all the questions.
[/quote]

Keep 'em coming, although Skol will have to get his promised '101' thread into the arena soon..! :happy:
If you already have a DAW, keep going with that, whilst still looking around. Most DAWs do at least the minimum, so should be good.
I'll try to cobble up a list of links to 'helpful' stuff a bit later on this evening. Watch this space...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1390859523' post='2350674']
Keep 'em coming, although Skol will have to get his promised '101' thread into the arena soon..! :happy:
If you already have a DAW, keep going with that, whilst still looking around. Most DAWs do at least the minimum, so should be good.
I'll try to cobble up a list of links to 'helpful' stuff a bit later on this evening. Watch this space...
[/quote]

Thank you very much!

Dad appears to be on it with the drums , though I have a midi drum machine that I can record as audio , I use [url="http://www.sonomawireworks.com/drumcore/downloads/"]drumcore free[/url] for my laptop which runs Reaper 32bit but on my PC I use EZdrummer for reaper 64bit which I paid £18 for. both are relatively easy to use after a bit of faffing but once you get the hang of one of them they work in a similar way . you can pick a loop and drag and drop it into place .

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1390859631' post='2350678']
Thank you very much!
[/quote]

Here's a site to get anyone started, with a fair selection of vst instruments, effects and treatments...

[url="http://www.vst4free.com/"]Vst4Free...[/url]

The quality is variable, but as it's very easy to try out and discard if not up to scratch, there's not much to lose, really, and there are many very good ones. All are free; although it is considered polite to donate if they're found to be worthy. Which are the good ones..? Aha..! Good question, but I can't answer that for you. It's all down to taste and style; for instance, I'm an old fuddy-duddy, and tend to go for classical instruments such as woodwind, brass or keys. Others will prefer 808 beat boxes, or glitchers (what the heck does a glitcher do, anyway..? :blink: ) for composing trip-hop techno acid house jungle beats and such. Here's a couple that I found suitable, just the same...
[url="http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=DVS_Saxophone&id=187"]Saxophone...[/url]
[url="http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=AZR-3&id=277"]Drawbar organ...[/url]
[url="http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Crash_VSTi&id=1124"]Cymbals...[/url]
I forgot to mention earlier that, in order to get the best from many, if not most of these instruments, a keyboard is almost essential. I use a tiny M-Audio Mini32 Keystation, which is inexpensive and very compact. Anyone able to play keys would doubtless benefit from a larger model (61 keys..?), but all will have their own 'take' on that, so I won't expand here.
There's plenty to try out there, and there's not much on the TV these days, so off you go...
Hope this helps...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1390761910' post='2349193']

Trouble is, many people just aren't interested in other people's music. Which seems counter-intuitive for a community of musicians, but that's how it is.

[/quote]

i don't think that is entirely the case

i only go on here fleeting during the course of my day, so i do try to make an effort to listen to the songs as they are posted... if i was to leave it untill they are all in finding the time around everything else i have to do would be very difficult, and i imagine other people are the same.

i also believe the site counts whoever goes on, so if one of us goes in 4 or 5 times it counts that, so the correlation between number of views and number of votes can be skewed a bit by this

im hoping to get back in the game next month, i must confess i don't find the two photo competitions that inspiring

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1390899661' post='2350939'] i don't think that is entirely the case i only go on here fleeting during the course of my day, so i do try to make an effort to listen to the songs as they are posted... [/quote]

Aye, totally Rob... I wasn't trying to be critical! :) I just think that the majority of Basschatters don't come here to listen to new music - they use the forum like a sort of 'online pub', where they can chat with friends about gear, technique, gigs, etc. The actual music is in the background for a lot of people. And that's absolutely fine... it's the same on every other music forum.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we shouldn't beat ourselves up over the monthly challenges not getting the audience they perhaps deserve. It [i]is[/i] a shame... but it's also not a deliberate snub by the rest of the community, it's just that some folks are too busy nattering about other stuff.

We're hoping to attract some sponsors to the competitions, which may attract a bigger audience (as they have done in the past). But I'm also keen to not spoil what we have and turn it into a 'battle' each month for whatever prize is on offer. So we'll need to handle that carefully. But in the meantime, we have a solid cadre of people who get stuck in, which is ultimately what it's all about.

[i]PS: I know you know all this mate.... I'm just thinking out loud.[/i]

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1390903235' post='2350982'] Voted...... I voted for the one I thought captured the pic best as none of the tracks really appealed to me as such. Nothing wrong with them but not to my taste. Interesting how all the tracks took a similar theme. Bert is visually more powerful than we would think. [/quote]

Yup, that's the power of imagery for ya! It's also the power of country music, in that even the slightlest hint of country inevitibly turns a composition into 'country music'.

The real challenge this month was referencing both Escher and Burt Reynolds / "Texan in a hat" in the same piece. Escher could have been tackled in numerous different ways, but a texan in a hat is well... a texan in a hat! And not so open to musical interpretation. I think that's why everyone with the exception of Bilbo took the country route (and Bilbo himself has said that he ignored the Burt Reynolds image altogether).

I can't say I'm a huge fan of country music myself, although I do quite like bluegrass. That said, I did enjoy writing the track this month Perhaps a little [i]too[/i] much :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1390909040' post='2351054']

Yup, that's the power of imagery for ya! It's also the power of country music.

I do quite like bluegrass.
[/quote]
Bluegrass is ace..... I had exactly the same problems making my entry this month, probably why I didn't get it finished that coupled with mic and interface problems (all sorted now). I put the unfinished track on soundcloud earlier as I couldn't get any other recording done with it hanging in limbo....

Here's a link if anyone wants to take a listen.... I'll be back next month though.

http://m.soundcloud.com/theboysings/burt-reynolds