Why become a member? ×

January Composition Competition - VOTING!

Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1391037550' post='2352668']
For anyone interested I've just posted an archive of the past 2 years' Composition Challenges in the 'Share Your Music' forum. Right here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/228445-basschat-composition-challenge-the-archive/"]http://basschat.co.u...ge-the-archive/[/url]

Ah, the memories... :)
[/quote]

you should produce an album of all the winners, and runners up.
in time for christmas 2014 ,

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1391023326' post='2352424']SO difficult this month. I love them all! :gas:[/quote]
Thanks for the support 'Shell! And if you ever fancy having a go yourself one month...? So far Debs has been our only female composer, so it's about time our BC Sisters started doing it for themselves, etc :D

[quote name='AL-the-Bassman' timestamp='1391043766' post='2352746']you should produce an album of all the winners, and runners up.
in time for christmas 2014 ,[/quote]
Good idea, Al. The was Charic's original intention when he set up the competition... I might pick up the idea again and look to put out a BC album on Bandcamp (or similar) once a year, with the proceeds going to help support the site together with a % donated to charity.

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1391048529' post='2352756']
Voted, great work from everyone involved, there was a couple that I favoured, but one stood out for me and got the vote Yeee Hahhhhhhh[/quote]
Nice to have you back Steve! It's been too long since you had a go at this yourself. Yeah that's a big, unsubtle [i]HINT[/i] :P

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1390939180' post='2351596']
Meanwhile, here's the 'teaser' you've all been waiting for. :gas: If this doesn't bring 'em in in droves... :yarr:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSrufAVlS_g&feature=youtu.be[/media]

[/quote]

I voted, I voted, please don't make me watch it again!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1391115203' post='2353539']
I voted, I voted, please don't make me watch it again!
[/quote]

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-003.gif[/IMG][/URL]

OK for this month, but don't forget..! End of February..! Same place, same time..! Off you go; leave room for the others..! Next..!

What with work and gigs I didn't have time to finish my entry, I may post it for comments after the voting has closed though. My vote this month goes to Skol for the catchy (and vary well produced) tune, although Lurksalot nearly got it for the "stolen my cigar" line. Brilliant.

I voted for the first time. For some reason I have always felt that because I don't actually join in I have no right to vote. Not because of anything said about it, just my head taking its self to the stupid step.

I do wish I could join in. I do keep fiddling about with recording stuff, finally got my head around doing the drums, but every time I try my mind just goes completely blank. I'm getting there, very, very, veeerrrryyyy slowly.

Oddly, if there were prizes involved I definitely wouldn't enter. But, again. that's just me. I am quite happy to build someone a website, or give someone's kid a bass or guitar lesson, but as soon as I am offered money for it I go cold and can't do it.

Oh, and I think a time limit on the songs would help. I think two and a half minutes would be ideal.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1391078713' post='2352898']

Thanks for the support 'Shell! And if you ever fancy having a go yourself one month...? So far Debs has been our only female composer, so it's about time our BC Sisters started doing it for themselves, etc :D
:P
[/quote]

I feel really guilty that time has been against me recently and I haven't done another entry!

I will soon.... Honest!

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1391151942' post='2353765']
What with work and gigs I didn't have time to finish my entry, I may post it for comments after the voting has closed though. My vote this month goes to Skol for the catchy (and vary well produced) tune, although Lurksalot nearly got it for the "stolen my cigar" line. Brilliant.
[/quote]
Cheers Steve :) , I'm glad I can raise a smile or two while learning how to do this stuff.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1391171713' post='2354041']
I voted for the first time. For some reason I have always felt that because I don't actually join in I have no right to vote. Not because of anything said about it, just my head taking its self to the stupid step.

I do wish I could join in. I do keep fiddling about with recording stuff, finally got my head around doing the drums, but every time I try my mind just goes completely blank. I'm getting there, very, very, veeerrrryyyy slowly.

Oddly, if there were prizes involved I definitely wouldn't enter. But, again. that's just me. I am quite happy to build someone a website, or give someone's kid a bass or guitar lesson, but as soon as I am offered money for it I go cold and can't do it.

Oh, and I think a time limit on the songs would help. I think two and a half minutes would be ideal.
[/quote]

that happens SOOO many times with me , but what I have learned to say is WTF , and get on with it , doing this to order can be very frustrating but there is no point pretending that what I record will change the world .........though one day :lol: .

I remember Bilbo saying early last year to me that the egg timer was my friend , I had no idea what he meant at the time , but now I realise people dont need to listen to anthems, just a short tuneful ditty , so I try :rolleyes:

So..! The lad has done it again..! Well done, and of course, congratulations to all the others. Another fine bunch, eh..?

Who got my vote..? Well, seeing how the pair of pictures were being treated, I chose (with difficulty, I'll admit...) that which, to my mind, best addressed both. If the musical side had a distinctly 'western' bent, the neat way in which the Escher graphic was referenced gave my biscuit to old Lurksalot (...and little, no..?). Not, perhaps, the most polished technically, but fitted the spirit of the challenge best.
Having said all that, I could just have easily found justification in all the entries..!
Roll on February..? B)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1391212944' post='2354737']Congratulations Skol - a very worthy winner, once again![/quote]
[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1391212966' post='2354738']Congrats to Skol.... A worthy winner.[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1391213641' post='2354743']So..! The lad has done it again..! Well done, and of course, congratulations to all the others. Another fine bunch, eh..?[/quote]

Thanks fellas!

74 votes in total... that's fantastic. Thanks to everyone who took the time to get involved this month. Especially all you lot who made the music.

Cheers comrades :drinks:

February's challenge is now up and running. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/228608-february-composition-challenge-get-recording/"]Look busy![/url]

[quote name='AL-the-Bassman' timestamp='1391215537' post='2354763']
so...........
whats the New Pic guna be?
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/228608-february-composition-challenge-get-recording/"]Head this way >>>[/url]

:)

Edited by Skol303

Brilliant Paul , you are an inspiration in these challenges , well done again.

Thanks Douglas , I really love your appreciation ( and the other voters of course) but yes technically, I am a bit behind the rest of you so a bit of left field thinking can help bridge the musicality gap , plenty of room for that way of thinking ;)

I know we see some comments about the voting numbers , but 75 is a SUPERB turnout , it really is appreciatted , many thanks for taking the time and making the effort . :sun_bespectacled: