Why become a member? ×

1x12" Cab Design Diary

Phil Starr

Yep the bracing is simple enough. With the aim of simplicity I reckoned to stick to only straight cuts and to use ply offcuts to keep the costs down. I rejected the idea of complex interlocking internal bracing like the Barefaced model as being too complex with the tools available to most people.

Then the question was how to brace, across the cab to opposite panels to stop the cab bowing in and out with the pressure changes created by the cone movement or to stiffen the individual panels by sticking plywood 'vanes' onto them effectively creating a series of T beams across the panels. In the end I glued the vanes on and linked the opposite panels by screwing some cross braces in, so doing a little of both and making the job very straightforward.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1435832015' post='2812787']
Oh, someone asked the weight of the cab. It is 14.2 kg.
[/quote]

That is a good weight for a cabinet.

Iwill you make up the 18mm cab before you publish the cutting plans?

I'd estimate the weight of the 18mm birch ply option at around 18kg, or slightly less than the Bergantino HD112 (at 20kg but with a tweeter), which is manageable but not what I would call lightweight. The poplar ply version would probably be around 12-13kg.

The UK has been metric since 1973 so it shouldn't be an issue. The fact that there are numerous people who have proved unable to cope with a system based on the number 10 and prefer systems based on a mixture of bases 3, 8, 12, 14, 16, 20, and 22 shows only how popular care in the community is.

• Haha 1

From memory, the SI (Systeme International) is the real name for the metric system. It has been used in the UK Engineering industry since the 1960s. I started college in 1968 and we never used the Imperial System.

In engineering, mm is the preferred unit of measurement or metres for bigger items. I cannot remember seeing cm on a engineering drawing.

However as I am old and of failing mental faculties (think plywood debacle) this may all be rubbish.

Anyone looking for a plywood supplier in the Oxfordshire area should definitely try WG Powell on the cowley rd in Oxford. They have a good stock of Baltic Birch Ply and have always been able to source Poplar Ply in low volume for me too. If you ask really nicley they may offer trade price which makes the Birch Ply less than Wickes / TP / B&Q etc charge for really poor quality far eastern ply. I've always found the quality very good and the a 12mm sheet usually has 7 even plys (no 1mm veneer or any of that nonsense). They also take good care when cutting for you so you get good clean, accurate square cuts.

Edited by mrtcat

OK a couple of shots of the interior first one shows what i mean by vane bracing, this is the back of the cab http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx71/Phil_Starr/1x12%20prototypes%20vane%20brace_zpsfauvbstr.jpg?1436341953488&1436341955868 incidentally you can see one of the voids in the external ply, a dead knot that has fallen out.

Second one shows the internal bracing http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx71/Phil_Starr/1x12%20prototypes%20internal%20bracing_zps9y14tdo5.jpg

With a bit more detail, this shot also shows the reinforced butt joints I use, a 25mm sq batten screwed and glued along all the joints. Strong and easy to make. http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx71/Phil_Starr/1x12%20prototypes%20brace%20detail_zpshldb6lcs.jpg

If anyone wants to redo this so the pics display directly then that would be great.

Edited by Phil Starr

Phil,

It is most probably me being thick, but I cannot open the link to Photobucket.
Maybe there is a hole in my bucket?

....Sorry..

BTW, I have a few rehearsals coming up at Churchinford in preparation for a gig in Bridgwater on 24th July. Can I have a go with your cab please? I have a couple of Genz Benz Reflex 112's to do a direct comparison. Please call me on 07802 967649 to discuss.

If anyone wants to start a build before I've had time to write this up and get drawings done it shouldn't be too difficult. The external dimensions are 360x424x530mm the baffle front is set back 30mm from the front of the cab so internally the depth is 306mm. The four ports are made of standard guttering downpipe 190mm for a 50Hz tuning, and 260mm for a 40hz tuning. All this information is elsewhere in the thread but it's probably hard to find.

Stevie wants a 3/4" cab with a slot port so as soon as I get time I'll build it and take some shots of the build so you can follow that. I'll make the plans for both the 12mm braced version and the slot ported version available to people so you can decide which you want.

Just to remind you the driver we used is the Beyma SM212. The cab would work with the Eminence Beta12A-2 and the Eminence Kappalite 3012HO though the Betas lacks the xmax and the Kappalite is a lot more expensive. We haven't tried either speaker either so I'm not recommending them, just pointing out possibilities we might try the Celestion at some point.

[quote name='GrahamT' timestamp='1436342239' post='2817172']
Phil,

It is most probably me being thick, but I cannot open the link to Photobucket.
Maybe there is a hole in my bucket?

....Sorry..

BTW, I have a few rehearsals coming up at Churchinford in preparation for a gig in Bridgwater on 24th July. Can I have a go with your cab please? I have a couple of Genz Benz Reflex 112's to do a direct comparison. Please call me on 07802 967649 to discuss.
[/quote]

Hi Graham, I'll pm you later, I need to get some work done :( I've changed the links, hope they work now, let me know and I'll try again later if there is still a problem. Must work, must work.