Why become a member? ×

Doubling up on 1x12 cabinets

acidbass

I have a Barefaced Super Midget (latest Gen 3 model), and it is superb. It's stupidly small, stupidly light and shifts a stupid amount of air. I took it to a couple of jam nights where you get guitarists gradually turning their amps up all night, and it cut through the mix for the whole night without breaking a sweat from my RH750. I was going to get a second one so I could have a 2x12 setup with flexibility, but.... I don't think I need a second one!

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1391381489' post='2356629']
Have a look at the Schroeder SP12's. Absolutely awesome. Light as a feather and by far the best cabs I've used so far...

They came shipped direct Schroeders in California but even with import tax etc they were well worth it and no more expensive than the other contenders out there.
[/quote]

I was trying to find a UK stockist for these the other day... a bit of googling didn't seem to turn anything up.

Popped in the Gallery on Saturday and they have both the CN112s and the 112MNTs comming in in about 3 weeks time, so I'll take my amp and bass down and give them both a go.

Edited by CamdenRob

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much experience with single 12's, but after hearing what my EBS Neoline 110 is capable of on it's own, I have decided to go searching the second hand market for a similar 112 to partner with it.

I am playing in a prog rock band, which requires alot of bottom end, and so far nothing short of a good 15" has been able to cope. However, in just about any 'normal' band I would consider a 112+110 combination to be more than adequate.

I realise this is a list of everyone's favourite 1x12's, but the TKS 112's ([url="http://www.tks.se"]www.tks.se[/url]) should definitely be in the running.

Ceramic, featherweight, and very reasonably priced. You can do a lot with a single cab, but pair 'em up and you feel like you could handle pretty much anything.

[quote name='Torben Hedstrøm' timestamp='1392714675' post='2371802']
....I am playing in a prog rock band, which requires alot of bottom end, and so far nothing short of a good 15" has been able to cope....
[/quote]

I get more lows and low mids out of 2 Bergantino 112's (and now a Berg 212) than I've ever heard out of a 15".

If you want "bottom end", I don't see the 10" adding much to your sound. I'd go for multiple 12's every time.

Edited by chris_b

I will admit to not having 'been around' very much on the amp side of things, and that 15" statement is based purely on my own experience. Two 12" have more area over the units, and as such they should push some more air. My personal experience is however, that when turned up, the dual 12" runs out of breath faster than the 15". The only logical explanation I can find is, that there is some phase disturbance cancelling out the longer wavelengths when operationg more than 1 piston. But I have no, what so ever, proof to back that up.

As a matter of fact, I am searching for a cab solutions these days, light, nimble and able to handle a solid low B when loud (as in LOUD !). Again, trying some different options it just seems that the bigger speaker gets more of that <40Hz. subsonic feeling out of the box.

My plan with the 110 cab I own is not to use it in the prog band. At the moment I am operating my 115 Neogorm + 210 extension cab for that purpose. But I am planning on getting together a 110+112 EBS Neo combination for another band, playing at more civilized volumes ;).

Lots of good sound scientific knowledge around to debunk the notion that '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]when turned up, the dual 12" runs out of breath faster than the 15"' or that 15 goes lower than 10 etc but ultimately our ears decide what 'we' like best. ;)[/size][/font][/color]

Typical 15..will be lucky to get 300w out of it..and then you need to ask what sort of sound would that be anyway.
Average type 12" will rate at 300w so paired you have a more capable cabinet which can get close to pushing 600.

Depends what you REALLY want, but the low end of a 212 should be all you'll need.
It should be full but not overly bassey.... or muddy.
Typically, you should expect tighter... as a useable description.

Whatever cab you end up with, you'll still need a hi-mid or horn to get any useable top out of it...
or at least I would. Even Berg AE112's can go missing in that regard, IME.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1392756339' post='2372468']
Whatever cab you end up with, you'll still need a hi-mid or horn to get any useable top out of it...
or at least I would. Even Berg AE112's can go missing in that regard, IME.
[/quote]

Depends what you're after. I do just fine without.