Why become a member? ×

Orange 5oo or1ooo ?

froggybassboy

Hi,

I have a old Ashdown MAG 300w 1x 15 which I occasionally use with an extension cab while I like it and its never let me down I'm thinking of upgrading. Been put off an ABM 500 due to some comments regarding a lack of volume., Where the UK ones just louder?. I like the look of the bass terror but I'm after some advice,
I will be running it into an ABM 4x 10 ( 600w i think) and a MAG deep (250w) and I was which terror would be best? I know they have some valve issues, so I would swopping them for some 'quiter' ones enable me to go more for the 1000 without things going pop or would the 500 give me enough wunph to cut through?
I play the pub circuit, plus the occasional larger venue

Any advice wecome

cheers,

Sean

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1390427365' post='2345447']
Haven't the newer ones had their valve issues sorted? I think I read an interview with someone from Orange who said they had realised they were crappy so sourced better ones.
[/quote]

didnt know there was any valve issues? they had the hot di thing but thats been sorted for a while.

andy

[quote name='froggybassboy' timestamp='1390428980' post='2345482']
thanks for that. I also read somewhere that the orange originally sourced theirr tubes from China and admitted that they could be better. No idea if the newer ones are also chinese/better.
[/quote]

they sound good, dnt know what tubes mine has they will sound good i wouldnt worry to to much.

andy

500 was always plenty when I was gigging it - that included outdoor gigs with no pa. Loud crashy punk/rock covers band with two guitars.

Always nice to have something that can level the audience though.....as long as your cabs don't go pop first!

Part of the attraction of the Terror for me at least, was it's an angry beast and cuts brilliantly through the mix.

I haven't unleashed my OTB500 on an unsuspecting audience yet, but it's verrrry loud in the rehearsal rooms (I haven't yet managed to get the volume knob past 30%, with the gain at about the same). I've replaced my MAG300 rig with the OTB500 and a BF Compact. The new combination is certainly louder than the old one, and the MAG was more than capable of keeping up with a beefy drummer in pub gigs!

Having re-read the OP I was using an OTB500 through a (rehearsal rooms supplied) ABM 410 last week. I think the MAG deep - presumably a 115? - would be redundant. Trousers were certainly flapping once we got going and I started to dig in....

I never got my TB500 above half way on the Master, even with a drummer who used mallets and a guitard stuck on 11

The valve 'issue' depends on when you want it to start sounding dirty. The stock ECC83's will start to go at about 30-40% of max gain. Swap them out for ECC82's and you can stay clean until about 60-70% of full gain

Yes, the 1000 will destroy your cab faster than the 500, but on a pub gig, the 500 will have cleared the place of punters with bleeding ears long before you've got it near full volume

The OTB is a bit of a 1-trick pony, but what it does it does very well. There's lots of thump, and plenty of grit available from the tube pre-amp. I guess the tone is best described as classic/old-school - it's a long way from the clean/hifi type of class-D amps that are available.

I contacted Alex at Barefaced for some advice on cabs before choosing the Compact (on his recommendation). He seems very happy to discuss matching his cabs with amps, and also taking account the intended use of your prospective rig. The band I play in (pub covers band) has lots of 70's & 80's punk and New Wave (Sex Pistols, Clash, Jam, Elvis Costello, Undertones etc etc) in the current set list and the OTB & Compact sounds perfect.

Edited by 41.2Hz

[i]I,m a 500 owner and a sp212 cab more than loud enough,never been past 11 oclock on the volume-big loud,it shouldn,t do that but it does.[/i]
[i]Tonewise perfect for me.[/i]
[i]1000 head and 2 sp212 cabs would be incredible,will get another cab first and one day maybe get the 1000 head when my hearing is destroyed with the 500 head.[/i]

I have the 500w, couldnt see a need for the 1000 one but going by how powerful the 500 option is i can imagine that the 1000 would level some houses if it got cranked up full!

Cant really go wrong either, just depends on the size of venues you usually play, is there really a need for the 1000w one, also its a bit more expensive, so you could keep that money and get yourself a nice new reverb pedal for the difference :)

500w is very loud with that setup! I used to just take my TB500 to rehearsals and plug into the cabs there, which I think I remember being a MAG 1x15 and ABM (but more likely MAG) 410. I never needed any more volume, but on an occasion where I only had the 1x15, I found it a little muddy. The amp is great though and the fact that it'll put 500w out at both 8 and 4ohms means I've never, ever, had to properly push it.

If I had those cabs I'd deem having 1000w overkill!

Edited by TJ Spicer