Why become a member? ×

NBD: Harley Benton JB-75 Vintage Series Jazz Bass

madshadows

I'll take a picture with the beast on a scale! When I was checking the order I had in wich it came in the DHL site, there was a package weighing 15kg I thought was the bass + case, but there was also another package weighing around 9kg wich made no sense as the only things left were a bunch of string sets, a Focuarite usb interface and a couple of patch cables.

I also remember that when I was unboxing it I nearly twisted my hand. It's unbelievably heavy, but surprisingly well balanced on a strap, I just try not to spend a lot of time playing it sitting, the thing will bruise your leg!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1416145633' post='2607295']
Got one of these winging its way to me, Ill weigh it when it arrives.
[/quote]

Do you know if a Fender neck would fit? If so, I think I'll buy two as I have a fretted Classic Vibe Jazz neck lying around.
Would be nice to have a fretted and fretless bass that look alike. And then I could keep the Harley Benton neck as a spare.

Cheers!

- Perry

• 1 month later...

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1416145633' post='2607295']
Got one of these winging its way to me, Ill weigh it when it arrives.
[/quote]

ok, im a bit of a slacker lol weighed it today and it came in at 7.9kg or 17.41 lbs. its fairly weighty, you feel it after a while. Im actually toying with the idea of taking the scratchplate off and routing some material away underneath it just to make it a bit lighter, how do you think that would affect the tone?

Its actually a really nice bass, im well chuffed with it, and I reckon it looks the absolute dogs ball-locks, but then ive never really been a 'label' kind of a guy. Goes well with my George Atasda clothes ;)

[quote name='Perroid' timestamp='1416144476' post='2607276']
I'd also like to know if a neck with Fender dimensions would fit on the bass.....[/quote] from my experience the HB neck pockets are exactly the same as fenders. the 4 holes didn't match on my bass though, i had to drill new ones but otherwise a perfect fit.

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1420927066' post='2655258']
ok, im a bit of a slacker lol weighed it today and it came in at 7.9kg or 17.41 lbs. its fairly weighty, you feel it after a while. Im actually toying with the idea of taking the scratchplate off and routing some material away underneath it just to make it a bit lighter, how do you think that would affect the tone?

Its actually a really nice bass, im well chuffed with it, and I reckon it looks the absolute dogs ball-locks, but then ive never really been a 'label' kind of a guy. Goes well with my George Atasda clothes ;)
[/quote]

wow, that's heavy!!!
I don't think I ever tried a bass as heavy as that. :blink:

I just weighed mine, 9.7 lbs / 4.4 Kg
Not exactly feather light, but comparable to other Jazz basses I suppose, which are rarely light due to their large body.
[i][size=3][b]edit: That was the J&D Jazz, not the harley Benton, ooops, wrong thread ;)[/b][/size][/i]

For comparison:

Fender 75RI Jazz MIJ from 1996 - 10.8 lbs / 4.9 Kg
Fender 75RI Jazz MIJ from 2010 - 9.4 lbs / 4.3 Kg

Squier Precision CV50 - 9.3 lbs / 4.2 Kg

My lightest bass is a Cort GB74 superJazz type, at 7.0 lbs / 3.2 Kg...

7.9 Kg!!! what is it made from??? :lol: I hope you have a comfy strap!

Edited by mcnach

I ordered the JB75 natural last week, it's supposed to arrive one of these days.
It seems the weight varies quite a bit, so im curious to find how mine will be.
If it would way a ton it wouldnt be a problem since i'm used to that but it's always exciting to wait and see how the bass will be. :happy:

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1428696523' post='2743950']
Me too. That's a great pickguard. Is it a custom one?
[/quote]

Thanks guys! It is actually the original tortoiseshell-like pickguard. I sanded it down back to white and then my significant other agreed to doodle all over it. :)