Why become a member? ×

Peavey bass identification and value - any help please

Thumbducker

Hello folks,

I bought a Peavey 4-string electric bass several years ago and never knew (or cared) exactly what it was. I now find myself redundant, I've fallen on harder times and need to sell it (along with a couple of my guitars, and some mixing equipment for that matter.) I was going to put the wife on ebay as a decorative ornament or a doorstop until she reminded me that she is the only one in our household bringing any money in.

I have done a bit of research online and it appears to be a Peavey Grind made in Vietnam. The back of the headstock says "handcrafted in Vietnam" with the serial number NV04030293.

I thought it would be easy to identify from the serial number, but this doesn't seem to be the case for Peavey's made outside the usa. I was hoping somebody would be able to assist.

Any more information you can provide on this instrument would be both interesting and very much appreciated. Essentially I'd really like to know what year it was born and a rough idea of how much it's worth so I'm not ripping myself or anyone else off. It was and still is in pretty much perfect nick and I think I paid about £100 for it but it looks like it should be worth a bit more than that - if not, hats off to peavey because it looks and plays great to me.

I can post some photos of it if this helps.

Thanks for reading.

Dan.

Pictures might help, but Peavey change the specs of their instruments so regularly it would be difficult to get exact information on any of the more recent ones. The Grinds are very good basses though! If the wings on the body are a darker wood then it's probably Imbuya (brazailian walnut), with a 5 piece maple and mahogany neck. They have changed the bridges a lot as well, I have one with individual bridge saddles, and a very recent one with a gigantic black chunk of metal for a bridge. The older ones had a more traditional fender style bridge. All very good especially for the money!

I have the impression that the earlier Grinds (like the OP's, I think) are rated more highly than recent production. I think it was BCer (and mod :) ) Shockwave who said that, maybe six months back? IIRC someone was selling a six-string Grind?

Either way, pics would help. (And I might be interested - I like Peaveys :) )

Edited by alyctes

Here are some images. If these aren't useful I can retake larger/better quality in better light tomorrow, and edit them in. I'm a bit of a spoon at doing this but hopefully you can see well enough.

I had a luthier friend make a bone nut and a truss rod cover from some nice wood (I think it was black plastic originally,) both of which I'd forgotten about until I started taking these photo's.

[attachment=152867:Peavey Bass 01.JPG]
[attachment=152868:Peavey Bass 02.JPG]
[attachment=152869:Peavey Bass 03.JPG]
[attachment=152870:Peavey Bass 04.JPG]

I have a Peavey C5, which is a very similar bass. The Grind was the successor model and has a different finish & inlays, slightly different hardware plus the cutaway area under the neck pickup. I got my C5 new around 2001/2002, so I would be quite inclined to think the "04" bit of this Grind's s/n is 2004. That would seem about right.

Peaveys from this era are very nice, quite closely based on the US-made Cirrus models - I'd expect one like this to be in the £200+ ballpark.

Jon.

I think £200+ also.
However, go here basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1
for a search of the bass marketplace here - that will give you some idea of what they go for here (most of those are fives or sixes, but that tells its own story - four-strings are relatively rare here, if anything).

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply.

I've held off posting back because I emailed Peavey with a request for information and was hoping to include their findings. They [color=#444444][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]said if I sent some photographs they should be able to establish the exact model and roughly when they were produced. I sent the photos but no response yet. I will happily post their reply if/when I get one.[/size][/font][/color]

I followed the link to your marketplace kindly provided by alyctes, and having poked around in there, fleabay and the web it seems like £250 isn't an unreasonable ask for this instrument. I'd certainly be happy to accept that for it.

Over the last couple of days I have taken the time to look around a bit here, and it seems like you have a very nice, welcoming hangout. Some of you folks appear to be almost normal (I know this is a relative thing) and trustworthy! With this in mind, I'm wondering whether it's worth offering up the other items I'm hoping to turn into money, before resorting to online auctions (which I'd rather not do.) I'm not entirely sure what the protocol is here but I will be putting up for sale an Alesis multimix16 firewire, 2xYamaha MSP5A powered monitors, 4xShure SM57's and possibly a 1996 50th Anniversary Fender USA Strat and an early 90's Washburn EA20. Prospective buyers would be welcome to come and see the items (including the bass) If it's possible for me to establish that they are genuine and honest. Thieves and nut-jobs are generally greeted at the door with a baseball bat and a belligerent land-shark, and if that fails to deter I unleash the wife.

Thanks again. If I ever said anything bad about bass players, I take it all back :D .