Why become a member? ×

Anybody ever longed for that special bass? then when you finally get one.....disappointment :(

louseskaman

Slightly different - but my Yamaha Attitude 3 (now sold) was everything I wanted in a bass - wonderful thick grindy tone. Even the slightly heavy weight of the beast was do-able (just)

But my hands are just too small for that monster neck. I kept playing it for a few months thinking I'd get used to it but all I got was tendon issues.

I was, and still am absolutely gutted about it. I traded it on here for a Fender Stu Hamm Urge 2 and that is a lovely bass with a brilliant neck and it sounds superb - it's a keeper without a doubt. But it's not the Attitude sound.

At some point I'll have to spec out a Warmoth build and get as close as I can to it, but with a neck I can cope with.

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1390324102' post='2344080']
Gaillard D/G/accs, two year build time. Gorgeous box but not right for me.

Steve
[/quote]

For me it was the opposite- Why would I ever need anything other than a Hohner Erica, that was until I tried a Castagnari Tommy, which is everything I ever dreamed a box should be

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1390324102' post='2344080']
Gaillard D/G/accs, two year build time. Gorgeous box but not right for me.

Steve
[/quote]

Shame, especially after a 2 year wait! I suppose with something like that it's difficult to find one to try out in advance.

My main squeeze is an old Castagnari RIK , which is a great box (when I say old - I bought it nearly new off Rhys Wesson about 24 years ago). To be honest I very rarely stray on to the A row, and a two row would have been both cheaper and lighter! But I got it at a good price so I put up with the extra weight. Often thought about trading it against a 2.5 row, but never did. I don't play it much at all these days as the Ceilidh band is very quite, and I'm enjoying bass in the rock band more.

I did buy a Hohner Preciosa and got it retuned to G/D, but that has sat in its case for a few years now. The tone and and punch were great, but didn't really get on with the compressed keyboard, and the novelty of its size soon wears off!

[quote name='Lee Carter' timestamp='1390227781' post='2342810']
Happened to me with a Ric. Coveted a Ric, Bought a Ric, played the Ric, Ric stayed under bed for a year...sold the Ric.
[/quote]

+1 except make that 1 year under the bed 20 years. There's currently a Stingray occupying that position!

Following the 'insanity' comment above. I've had umpteen precisions always expecting to like them because they are iconic. I like the feel and simplicity but I've never been able to get a sound out of one that works for me and I've had a JV, an MIM, a couple of MIA and I don't recall how many copies/squiers.

The first Rick I had went back to its seller within 2 weeks, far too different from my Ray/Jazz type comfort zone. 2 years later I got another off BC, bugger me if it wasn't the same Rick from a different seller. It still feels funny but the sound is worth it. Some basses just need perseverance....

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1390332291' post='2344190']

I did buy a [i]Hohner Preciosa and got it retuned to G/D[/i], but that has sat in its case for a few years now. The tone and and punch were great, but didn't really get on with the compressed keyboard, and the novelty of its size soon wears off!
[/quote]

If you ever want to move it on let me know :) I currently play a G/C/accs Loffet (great for French music and blues) and a couple of C/F Hohners (one clubbed, the other de-clubbed) but I don't have a D/G (a Dino Baffetti Black Pearl was one of the boxes that went)

Steve

I've got almost the reverse of this - I want back a bass I sold many years ago.., If anyone has a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hohner Jack Custom V headless bass lying around that they'd like to go to a good home...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The strange thing to me on this thread is that people have mentioned stingrays not matching up their expectations - I waited for years for a Pre EB stingray and when I got it it exceeded everything I'd thought about the bass. Still blows me away every time I play it[/font][/color]

After serious pressure from the band I was in to get a 5 string I succumbed and commissioned a Warwick Dolphin SN5 with a piezo.

Beautifully made, played well, came with a flight case and all the bells and whistles.

An interesting bass which I gigged under protest for nearly two years but it wasn't for me.

Soon as I left the band I flogged it via the bay, got my money back (I think the buyer is a BC member) and went back to a Precision 4 stringer- best move I ever made.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1390298864' post='2343628']
... Even more so with a Spector Euro LX. No matter how much I wanted to love it, it just didn't "talk to me" in the same way that my Status or MIM Standard J do!
[/quote]

Really? I've just ordered one, and I already have a Status and a MM. Doubt setting in...

Too many to mention: Lakland Duck Dunn - I love precisions, and jazz necks, so it should have been the perfect bass. For some reason, I just couldn't get on with it. Weirdly, Jon Shuker then made me a P bass with a Jazz neck, and it's the greatest bass I've ever played, so take from that what you will....

I lusted after a Stingray for a while... bought one, liked the sound, didn't like the neck on it. Same with a '51 Re-issue P bass. And don't even get me started on the numerous Jazz basses I've owned (American 62 RI, Jap 62 RI, CIJ Jazz etc). All sound great in other people's hands, but weedy and lightweight sounding in mine.

I should really just stick to P basses and be happy!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390266586' post='2343486']
You know that doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result the second time is a sign of insanity? :D
[/quote]

It would appear so as the two mistakes were an outlay of £2,600 :blink:

Still, a worthwhile lesson. Just because it has one "the" names, doesn't mean etc etc...

I sold my first bass (an old Japanese-made Condor Jazz Bass with a plywood body and a great-looking all-maple neck with block inlays but no bindings) when I got my second one (a Yamaha TRB5II) and stopped playing the Condor alltogether. A few years letter I started regretting it, and contacted the guy who had bought my old one, but he wouldn't trade it for the world. So I sourced another one and bought that. IT SUCKED. It was just awful! Sold it again within two weeks, never looked back :lol:

As for basses I've lusted after for a long time, I usually got it right.
- I really badly wanted an Ibanez Musician without ever being able to try one first (very hard to find lefthanded, I searched for almost 4 years) and suddenly two popped up, two different versions, one in Belgium and one near me in the Netherlands. I bought them both and they exceeded my expectations. I recorded almost an entire album with both of them!
- I've always wanted a Stingray 5. I once even drove to Belgium just to try out and possibly buy a lefty in teal green transparent. It turned out to be pretty beat-up, with a very poor setup and crazy high action, but I loved the feel of the neck and the tone so it just made my GAS worse. Something else crossed my path and I bought that first, and couldn't afford a Stingray 5 for the next few years. I'm glad I waited, because eventually the right Stingray 5 appeared on eBay in the UK and I couldn't be happier with it: incredible finish (Autumn Redburst Sparkle, never seen another one like it) with an all-maple neck, in perfect condition, at an incredible price. And rather than having to get it shipped to my door, the seller's band turned out to play 10 km from my house a month after the auction ended and he put me on the guest list so I could come pick it up there in person. Very pleasant surprise!

Edited by LeftyJ

A Washburn B20 Explorer shaped bass for me - I hunted for years, about 12 in fact (pre internet days), until I found one - shipped it over from the states, it was mint condition with original case, beautiful flame - hated it! neck heavy, didn't sit right, weird v shaped neck - lost a fortune on it :D

I was hyper-enthusiastic about Squier VM Telecaster Bass Special, but when I finally got my hands on one (in music store), it was a huge disappointment. Uncomfortable neck, not too impressive sound, mediocre finish.

About the basses I bought, it was always lucky to buy something that was even better than I expected. :)

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1390473535' post='2345724']
Yep.....Rickenbacker 4003.....huge disappointment :(
[/quote]

Oh. Completely forgot about that one. Same here. Bought one new in January 2009 right before they stopped building lefties, couldn't get on with the wide, fat neck (very square feel to it), the lack of a proper place to rest my thumb and the overall (lack of) ergonomics of the bass. I liked the tone of the bridge pickup, but hated the neck pickup (muddy, weak, non-distinct) and couldn't really find good in-between tones. I absolutely loved the look of it, and I love the tone some Rickenbacker players get out of theirs, but the one I got wasn't for me. I wonder if I'll like an older one with a slimmer neck better.

I regretfully sold it after I totalled my previous car and needed the money for a new one, but I've never missed it afterwards.

Edited by LeftyJ

I fancied a G&L fiver for a long time, and came across one in a shop while on holiday. Sat down with it, all excited like, and just couldn't get on with it. It wasn't set up well, but it was more than that - just didn't feel right. Disappointing because I really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't for me. Just thankful that I I didn't buy one blind and then find out.

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1390243055' post='2343096']
I have had so meny dream basses about 30ish,always a better one to be had,my go to bass is a LTD fretless 5 awesome does everthing I want,but the bass I use with the band is a Gibson EB3,only because it suits the music,its tone and looks,the only thing Im gassing for now is a Marshall bass head :rolleyes:
[/quote]

The marshall DFX 100 transitor head on the clean channel actualy makes a very good loud clean bass head with a vbc 4x12, IMO better than the "bass amps" they produce now.
Plus you have the overdrive channel for that boost.

This company marshall seriouslly are out of touch with bass players, just make a damned bass head that looks like a damned marshall guitar head, with gold front, logo and I will buy one, the new range looks like something out of a lucky bag.

When the best bass amp they make is a guitar amp on the clean channel, they are getting it very very wrong.
The VBC is OK, but the transformers blow and it's a door stop, plus it is way over price.

So wish this amp company would get it's finger out of it's backside and listen and stop telling us what you think we should play.

Edited by spacey