Why become a member? ×

Anybody ever longed for that special bass? then when you finally get one.....disappointment :(

louseskaman

I have had so meny dream basses about 30ish,always a better one to be had,my go to bass is a LTD fretless 5 awesome does everthing I want,but the bass I use with the band is a Gibson EB3,only because it suits the music,its tone and looks,the only thing Im gassing for now is a Marshall bass head :rolleyes:

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1390240868' post='2343045']
I have now owned and sold 3 stingrays, I still love the look of the bass I just don't get on with them....maybe if I found the right one...... noooooo see I still want one
[/quote]

This. Exactly this.

And the one about a 4001, too...

If you buy second hand you can pretty much try any standard bass you like and not lose more than a bit of rent on it, same for me with rics, always wanted one, Finally had the money and the chance, including the right band, but it didn't ever become more used than my P , sold it on.

With some things, unless you take the plunge, you'll never know if it's how you think it will be or not

Not just with basses. I finally got to buy the melodeon of my dreams (£3,500), sold a pile of stuff (including a couple of boxes, a bass and some other gear) to get it and it lasted 3 months. Fortunately I was able to pass it on to someone else at the same price BUT what I can't get back is one of the boxes I sold to make it happen, which in fact this one was a replacement for, and that is what really gets to me.

Steve

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1390235554' post='2342943']
I think disappointment might be the wrong word but certainly I've bought basses thinking they would be the answer to all my problems and then sold them on because they didn't get played enough. I've been GAS free for years now but reckon I've owned almost 100 instruments. The bass guitar I play the most now is a Squier but I went through a few vintage instruments (worried about them getting damaged or nicked) and some high value basses like Rickenbacker (ditto). I enjoyed the GAS thing at the time but it's a bigger relief to appreciate what I have these days.
[/quote]

yes i think "disappointment" is a bit harsh. As I say its a lovely bass, but just dont get my juices flowing like the Modulus FB i had, perhaps i may be pining for that :mellow:

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1390240868' post='2343045']
I have now owned and sold 3 stingrays, I still love the look of the bass I just don't get on with them....maybe if I found the right one...... noooooo see I still want one
[/quote]
[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1390244417' post='2343116']
This. Exactly this.

And the one about a 4001, too...
[/quote]

haha rays have that appeal.....a wooden temptress

I can`t say i coveted a Warwick, but decided i wanted to learn to play a bass. After researching opinions, i really wanted one, so i bought a Warwick Fortress. Not knowing any different, i thought it was ok. After getting the Clover Avenger on an impulse buy, the Warwick seemed a massive disappointment. After hearing so much about Stingrays, i would like one.

Edited by timmo

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1390261472' post='2343438']
I can`t say i coveted a Warwick, but decided i wanted to learn to play a bass. After researching opinions, i really wanted one, so i bought a Warwick Fortress. Not knowing any different, i thought it was ok. After getting the Clover Avenger on an impulse buy, the Warwick seemed a massive disappointment. After hearing so much about Stingrays, i would like one.
[/quote]

I may just know of one for sale Timmo ;) ;)

Only one sticks out for me an early 80's Aria SBR-60.....Lovely bass, great finish etc but I knew after 20mins it just wasn't for me without knowing why. I think she had a few owners before she found a keeper after me too. The guy i bought it from bought it new so had her some 27 years!

Never meet ya hero's or so they say.

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1390259002' post='2343384']
Not just with basses. I finally got to buy the melodeon of my dreams (£3,500), sold a pile of stuff (including a couple of boxes, a bass and some other gear) to get it and it lasted 3 months. Fortunately I was able to pass it on to someone else at the same price BUT what I can't get back is one of the boxes I sold to make it happen, which in fact this one was a replacement for, and that is what really gets to me.

Steve
[/quote]

Ouch. If I've learned anything through my travels its to never sell gear *before* the new stuff arrives. Of course, this isn't always practical which can lead to much anguish and regret :(

Not so much a disappointment, more of a frustration.

I've lusted after a Warwick Thumb for years but could never justify the price. I did pick up a Warwick Corvette at a great price though. Great tone, playable, etc etc. But the degree of adjustability built into Warwicks is ridiculous. Spent more time fettling the thing than playing it.

[quote name='ordep' timestamp='1390241896' post='2343073']
a 4 string marcus miller for me. lusted for one for a long time, bought used in almost new condition, tried to like it, modified it with new pups and pre, and even though my mate told me its the best bass that he played, I just can't seem to bond with that bass.
[/quote]

Me too. Exactly the same with exactly the same bass. Even more so with a Spector Euro LX. No matter how much I wanted to love it, it just didn't "talk to me" in the same way that my Status or MIM Standard J do!

The beauty of buying or trading them second (or more!) hand on here is that you can find all of this out without taking to much (if any) of a financial hit. Hurray for Basschat! B)

Still, I look forward to being disappointed by lots more basses in the future! :gas:

I wish I could find a fender I like. Been playing my first bass for more than 25 years now (a rather nice P JV squier) and have been trying to 'upgrade' to a real fender for the last 5 or so (yes, I'm a badge whore :)) All the ones I get my hands on are just not up to scratch :(

Edit for banana fingers.

Edited by SteveO

For me a 4003 Jetglo Rickenbacker. Saved for well over a year, then found it really uncomfortable to play. Devastating - although in the context of global problems midly disappointing is probably about right.

Ric 4003. Still want one, just can't deal with the potential 'issues' and they don't feel right in my hands. One day, I WILL own one.

Stingray? The Ray was (and still is I guess) my DREAM bass from being 12/13. I evenutally got one and it surpassed all my expectations :)

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1390259002' post='2343384']

Steve
[/quote]

Don't just taunt us!! As a melodeon man myself I need details.