Why become a member? ×

Anybody ever longed for that special bass? then when you finally get one.....disappointment :(

louseskaman

Hey all,

I've longed for years for a Stingray after trying one out just after starting to play many moons ago. Back then there was no way I could afford one (getting married, kids popping up everywhere, etc).

Since then I have been fortunate enough through a little bit of buying/selling to have come across some nice high end basses that have come, gone and stayed, but a ray has never crossed my path. Until just recently........ when low and behold I managed to get hold of one....but it dont just get my juices flowing like i hoped it would. :(

Dont get me wrong its a beautiful bass and many years ago I would have traded some toes for one. But after playing Pbasses/jazzes and some others for the last few years.......i'd prefer them.

Anyone else have that happen to them?

I've sold over twice the number I've kept. Take from that what you will ;)

Have to say though that the ones I've coveted the most and finally acquired (Gibson Victory Artist, Gibson RD Artist) have been amazing, so I guess I've been quite lucky.

Edited by neepheid

Yes - a couple of Rickenbacker 4001's. The first "Pro" basses I ever owned - I loved the look of them so much & all my then bass heroes played them. I was gutted when I actually owned a couple & found out I just didn't like them.

My Stingray 5 was also a massive disappointment - I'd heard so many people raving about how great they were both sound & quality-wise, yet personally I found it to be sadly lacking in both these areas.

Probably the one that I thought was really going to be the bee's knees was a pre-EB stingray. However when I inspected it in person it needed a lot of work doing and it was all uphill from there. By the time I'd spent in the region of £400 to get it playing and sounding reasonable (and it would still have needed to be stripped and refinished to get it looking decent as well) I'd decided that rays weren't really my bag after all and it would have to go.

I think disappointment might be the wrong word but certainly I've bought basses thinking they would be the answer to all my problems and then sold them on because they didn't get played enough. I've been GAS free for years now but reckon I've owned almost 100 instruments. The bass guitar I play the most now is a Squier but I went through a few vintage instruments (worried about them getting damaged or nicked) and some high value basses like Rickenbacker (ditto). I enjoyed the GAS thing at the time but it's a bigger relief to appreciate what I have these days.

Actually I was going to originally mention a Bison as well but went for the ray story instead as I was really fired up for that. The Bison (one of the modern reissues, not an original 60's one) was just idle curiosity, no huge expectations but couldn't get on with it at all. It holds the record for the shortest time any bass has stayed with me before moving on. Never gigged it but didn't lose much money on it at all in the re-sale so no harm done. Uncomfortable playing position for me (not blessed with orang-utan scale arms) and didn't think much of any of the available tones despite much knob twiddling.

same thing happened to me with a stingray, before I got my MIA P (I'm a happy boy now), trouble is being a lefty I can't try before I buy, but even if you can it takes time, and playing in a band situation, to decide whether you like a particular bass or not, Best thing is to buy second hand, that way it doesn't cost much

Agree on the secondhand thing, always recommend that route, can save a lot that way. It also often means you get an instrument that has already been well set up which is often not the case with brand new intruments. I haven't owned that many basses (probabluy no more than a dozen) and only 2 were bought new and neither stayed very long (the Bison mentioned before and a nice but rather insipid sounding Schecter). Fortunately they were in such good nick when sold that I lost remarkably little on the re-sales. Best buy to date was a USA jazz which I still own - less than 2 yrs old when I got it, in perfect nick and with a hard case included for less than £400. Original receipt in bottom of case from somewhere on Denmark street for over £800!

I bought my dream bass so many times ( no really, [i]so[/i] many times ) and have always been disappointed or discontent in one way or another . By the same token , I can play a decent off-the-shelf Fender or similar and be perfectly happy and accept it's imperfections and limitations.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390239359' post='2343010']
Just as Mrs Dingus accepts yours. Ho, ho.
[/quote]

Mrs Dingus has difficulty seeing my imperfections and limitations because her eyes are clouded with tears of gratitude and joy that she is now living out her ultimate fantasies ( and those of her female friends) on a daily basis. Either that or she has been chopping up onions.

Edited by Dingus

Warwick Thumb.....loved the look and feel. Waited ages to get one, just wasn't me. Rick 4004.....another one I coverted, thought of it as a more refined 4003 but it sounded so completely different that I couldn't get my head around it.

On the other hand, my Status Streamline.....I was determined not to like it because it looked goofy (it was originally my stepping stone to a s2) but 5 years or so on it's still the mutts.

a 4 string marcus miller for me. lusted for one for a long time, bought used in almost new condition, tried to like it, modified it with new pups and pre, and even though my mate told me its the best bass that he played, I just can't seem to bond with that bass.

Been through the same process with both a Stingray and a Ric 4001. Really didn't want a Fender because nearly everyone you see plays them. Now I've stopped caring about such things, it's a Precision all the way for me these days.

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='Lee Carter' timestamp='1390227781' post='2342810']
Happened to me with a Ric. Coveted a Ric, Bought a Ric, played the Ric, Ric stayed under bed for a year...sold the Ric.
[/quote]

I'm there right now.. They are great basses, I have been raving about mine on here but it just doesn't suit me for some reason.. It goes to a new owner on Wednesday.. the gas has already started for something else.

Me?? A Wal...lusted after one for over 30 years (stopped playing for about 15 of them) but when I started playing again I was financial stable enough to be able to afford one - big disappointment - the neck profile on my MK1 Custom was unlike anything else I'd played and I just couldn't get on with it - so called "Dream bass" was a bit of a nightmare...rumour has it that Paul now offers a variety of profile options...too late for me though the dream has been shattered..