Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day: J&D Vintage 1975 review: Good!

iconic

I've just got one of these. Delivered on friday, and gigged on saturday night! :D

All it needed was a set-up and a bit of a tweak to the action. The strings sounded and felt great and the response is very even across all strings and frets. I didn't notice any of the sharp fret ends that others have referred to.

The surf green colour was a very close match for my guitarist's Fender Custom Shop Strat, so that's another tick in a box! B)

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this instrument. Even when I switched to my CIJ Geddy Lee in the second set, the only thing that I really noticed as the slimmer neck. My bandmates couldn't believe the quality for such a low price.

For £119 you just can't go wrong!! How on earth can they produce such a good bass for the price of a decent set of pickups? :blink:

Highly recommended! :gas:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1404759426' post='2495503']
Did you have to file the nut a bit?
[/quote]

A tiny bit, I bought light gauge strings so a couple of passes with a file and they fit a treat it was so minimal that I think stringing it normally again in the future wouldn't be a problem at all.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1404744073' post='2495296']
For £119 you just can't go wrong!! How on earth can they produce such a good bass for the price of a decent set of pickups? :blink:
[/quote]

Are you going to put a Fender decal on it? :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404762415' post='2495530']
Are you going to put a Fender decal on it? :mellow:
[/quote]

:o :o Perish the thought! :D

But I am going to get the headstock painted in the same colour. This will, of course, obscure the makers' name... Not that I am trying to hide that! I think I will either leave it plain of get a "jokey" decal made in the same style as the "Fecker" one on my fretless J bass copy. Maybe something like "Bender"... although that may have certain connotations :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I recently put mine up for sale but after returning it to EADG strings I fell in love with it all over again and have decided to hang on to it, it looks great has very low action and sounds superb!

I'm thinking about getting some lightweight tuners as the bass is heavy and the neck slimmed down a little as it's a bit chunky for me.

Hi all... this is a great bass... I have relic it and upgraded with FATBOY Jazz Bass Pickups... Strings Flatwound (D'addario Chrome)... I'm a professional and I use this bass regularly in my gigs.

Strongly recommended!

Greetings from Italy.
Andrea[attachment=169266:jd.jpg][attachment=169267:jd2.jpg]

[quote name='Hammrhodes' timestamp='1408183878' post='2527861']
Hi all... this is a great bass... I have relic it and upgraded with FATBOY Jazz Bass Pickups... Strings Flatwound (D'addario Chrome)... I'm a professional and I use this bass regularly in my gigs.

Strongly recommended!

Greetings from Italy.
Andrea[attachment=169266:jd.jpg][attachment=169267:jd2.jpg]
[/quote]

Have you been to the Stax Museum? I'd love to go there one day.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1408185868' post='2527891']
Have you been to the Stax Museum? I'd love to go there one day.
[/quote]

Don't worry Dave,[i] I'll Take You There[/i]. Arf! Arf! :D

On a slightly related subject, I had Rumple's J&D Jazz previously and imho it plays like a £350 bass. I'd rate it above the MIM Jazz I owned briefly.
Silly value for money, really. At the price (even new) there's no excuse not to have one. Plays very well, sounds great and looks the part.

Edited by discreet

Funny you should say that. The bassist with the band that supported us last night had to use his spare Harley Benton, and I was really impressed with the tone.
As with any budget bass, the quality will vary. If anyone wants a corker of a J&D - go for the blue jazz at Digital Village in Romford!

If my recent dealings with Thomann are anything to go by, I can understand why so few basses get sent back. Don't get me wrong. The HB jazz basses are fantastic instruments with the ash body and branded pickups (not taking anything away from the J&D bass). Mine was damaged in transit so I wanted to return it, The most hassle I have ever had returning anything in my life.
Back on topic though, The surf green ones look lovely.

Edited by sellisnba

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1408289707' post='2528648']
If my recent dealings with Thomann are anything to go by, I can understand why so few basses get sent back. Don't get me wrong. The HB jazz basses are fantastic instruments with the ash body and branded pickups (not taking anything away from the J&D bass). Mine wa
s damaged in transit so I wanted to return it, The most hassle I have ever had returning anything in my life.
Back on topic though, The surf green ones look lovely.
[/quote]
Not wanting to derail the thread but can you give us more details regarding your difficulty with returning your bass to Thomann. They get pretty universal praise on here, so i would be curious.

No Worries.
The bass turned up damaged so i emailed them, They got back to me asking for pictures and a damage report which is fair enough. They replied asking if i would take a discount and offered me a very low ball amount. Not wanting to pay out for a damaged bass i said no and i wanted to send the bass back. They once again got back to me stating that i must fill out some paperwork, I thought this was a bit odd but wanted this sorting out.
8 pages of paperwork was then sent to me. The first 5 pages were a prefilled damage report in German that they expected myself and a post office worker to fill out. Long story short, they expected me to take the bass to the post office and make parcelforce take responsibility for all the damage (bearing in mind that they use DHL in germany). Expecting them to fill out paperwork that's in a foreign Language and admit that they were at fault. (not going to happen)
It took me 5 days of writing emails back and forth to finally get the bass sent back. I have yet to receive my refund.
There website claims 100% satisfaction! What a load of B"*£$X i'll never use them again.
I know over people have had the same sort of issue's with them. The annoying thing is with out the damage the bass was really nice instrument.

This is odd, as I've never heard of anyone having customer services with Thomann. I've done a bit of a google, and it seems that Thomann are still getting good reviews for customer service. E.g. see this thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/217261-thomann-odd-position-on-a-returned-item/

I wonder if your experience would have been better had you phoned them once things started looking strange (damage reports etc.) and reminded them of their responsibility to get the item to you in good condition.

TBH the good reviews were why i used Thomann, however it seems i'm not alone with the issue's i had. There is a few case's here and there with people having issue's, unfortunately it looks like i was unlucky. But to expect what they wanted to do was ridiculous.
They point blank refused to accept responsibility even after i had pointed out that the outer box was undamaged but the inner box was wrecked.
Very poor.

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1408359881' post='2529277']
They point blank refused to accept responsibility even after i had pointed out that the outer box was undamaged but the inner box was wrecked.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear this. I've only ever had good service from Thomann. However, if the outer packaging is undamaged no company will accept responsibility for damage to the contents. It's as well to remember that if something arrives damaged (but the outer box isn't) it's worth frigging up the outer box yourself then taking a picture of it. Saves a lot of messing about.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...