Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day: J&D Vintage 1975 review: Good!

iconic

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1390904666' post='2351005']
It did sound just like a Jazz, didn't it? There's no way I would have figured it for a cheaper instrument by the sound in a band setting. (If anyone is wondering, I was playing guitar last night).
Also, isn't "Jack and Danny" cockney rhyming slang for something I probably can't say on Basschat? What on earth were they thinking?
[/quote]

I should have let you play it. It's not "finished"... The fret ends are a little sharp (playable, but noticeable), and it still has the strings the way they came: I like the strings, but they're wound in such way that the A string in particular has no break angle at the nut, so it can rattle a bit. Not enough to impede normal playing, but I'll have to replace the strings, which is a shame as I liked them. The tuners are the type whose posts are not straight cylindrical, but have a concave area in the middle, and with two turns of string only, the string remains too high. It needs a couple more turns at least to make the string exit from below.

"so, are you going to do anything about it before tomorrow's gig?" I hear you ask.

"Not at all" is my answer. ;)

The pickguard didn't even have screws on (the holes nearly match, but it's tight enough that it stays put)... and so it'll remain for now.

The problem is I can't find a pair of matching green shoes to wear... :P

oh, and "Jack and Danny"... I'll remind you to explain that one to me tomorrow. I have no idea what it may refer to.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1390997988' post='2352041']
I bought a Squier Silver Series neck from 2x18 on here because I was after a rosewood board :-)

The bass has arrived at home today! Exciting!
[/quote]

Ah! Looking forward to seeing the results!

I really really really like maple fingerboards, especially lacquered, and it was a huge factor in my pulling the trigger for the green J&D.
I used it at a gig last night. It was a strange kind of gig (that would deserve a thread on its own :P) but it gave me the opportunity to try it live, and I'm amazed at how much bass you get for £119! I love the way it sounds.
I must really get around to filing the fret ends and maybe tidy up the nut, but those are just things to make the bass nicer: it's perfectly playable as it is and sounds good.
I have found what others mentioned about the pickups "popping" when slapping hard. I had not noticed at home, because I only slapped a bit, and played fingerstyle all the time. I will try bringing the pickups down a bit and see what happens. I'm reluctant because it sounds so good as it is... but I'll mark the current settings so that I can go back if I want to.

And I insist: I really like these strings! :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1391079639' post='2352921']
I have found what others mentioned about the pickups "popping" when slapping hard. I had not noticed at home, because I only slapped a bit, and played fingerstyle all the time. I will try bringing the pickups down a bit and see what happens. I'm reluctant because it sounds so good as it is... but I'll mark the current settings so that I can go back if I want to.

[/quote]

Are they a bit microphonic, perhaps? If that's the issue, wax-dipping them would sort it out and it isn't hard to do.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1391085091' post='2353022']
Are they a bit microphonic, perhaps? If that's the issue, wax-dipping them would sort it out and it isn't hard to do.
[/quote]

They amplify nicely when I hit the bass, as you saw :)
But they don't seem overly microphonic. More than others, yes, but as long as they don't squeal I am ok with that if they sound good.
However... wax dipping... I never had to do it and I would not know how to. Have you done it?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1391086405' post='2353051']
They amplify nicely when I hit the bass, as you saw :)
But they don't seem overly microphonic. More than others, yes, but as long as they don't squeal I am ok with that if they sound good.
However... wax dipping... I never had to do it and I would not know how to. Have you done it?
[/quote]

Yes, I wound my own guitar pickups and one for my four string last year. To dip them, I made up an 80/20 mixture of paraffin wax and beeswax, heated to about 65 degrees in a tub surrounded by hot water on the hob (like a bain-marie for melting chocolate), applying occasional heat to keep the temperature steady. The pickups (without covers) sit in the melted wax until the air bubbles stop coming out of them, then you take them out, wipe them off and leave them to cool. I've still got my tub of wax if you want to give yours a shot.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1391086987' post='2353063']
Yes, I wound my own guitar pickups and one for my four string last year. To dip them, I made up an 80/20 mixture of paraffin wax and beeswax, heated to about 65 degrees in a tub surrounded by hot water on the hob (like a bain-marie for melting chocolate), applying occasional heat to keep the temperature steady. The pickups (without covers) sit in the melted wax until the air bubbles stop coming out of them, then you take them out, wipe them off and leave them to cool. I've still got my tub of wax if you want to give yours a shot.
[/quote]

you're a real DIY man! :gas:

I could do it in the lab, where I have temperature controlled waterbaths too ;)

Hmmm... we need to talk :)
I don't think I want to do it just now, but I'm interested in this.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1391374811' post='2356500']
So unfortunately the Silver Series neck didn't quite fit.

Fortunately I've grown to love the maple neck. The guard I bought didn't line up either, but I've managed to extend the holes and it's now fixed in pretty well. Very happy with my purchase.

[/quote]

A little too "bling" for me :lol: but it still looks great :)

Ok well further to my problems, I ended up adding the extra and bought a discounted Squier VM Precision in Amber/maple from them. They gave me £30 off for my trouble too.
The P bass is a different level for me, I am a dyed in the wool precision guy anyway. I did recently buy a new MIM P in white/maple and the only difference I can see is the Squier is a bit lighter! To my ears they both sound the same. Sure the MIM feels more solid but that's it.

I have 5 basses and they're all maple boards.
I like maple.
Maple.
:blush:

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1391374811' post='2356500']
So unfortunately the Silver Series neck didn't quite fit.

Fortunately I've grown to love the maple neck. The guard I bought didn't line up either, but I've managed to extend the holes and it's now fixed in pretty well. Very happy with my purchase.

[/quote]

Are you keeping hold of the Silver Series neck or planning to move it on? If moving it on, I would be interested in taking it off your hands! :)

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1391760875' post='2360918']
Ok well further to my problems, I ended up adding the extra and bought a discounted Squier VM Precision in Amber/maple from them. They gave me £30 off for my trouble too.
The P bass is a different level for me, I am a dyed in the wool precision guy anyway. I did recently buy a new MIM P in white/maple and the only difference I can see is the Squier is a bit lighter! To my ears they both sound the same. Sure the MIM feels more solid but that's it.

I have 5 basses and they're all maple boards.
I like maple.
Maple.
:blush:
[/quote]

that's the only vintage modified series of bass I haven't had..the amber and maple is THE best colour combo too.

You shouldn't of sold me that Lake Placid and Maple MIMP I bought from you years ago Tom ;) ...only for me to sell last year...I still miss that bass :(

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1391764997' post='2360962']
Are you keeping hold of the Silver Series neck or planning to move it on? If moving it on, I would be interested in taking it off your hands! :)
[/quote]

Sorry I have it fitted to my Silver Squier Jazz bass now.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1391760875' post='2360918']
[/quote]

I have the very same Amber VM Precision and it more than stacks up against my MIM. Great basses.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1391773760' post='2361090']
that's the only vintage modified series of bass I haven't had..the amber and maple is THE best colour combo too.

You shouldn't of sold me that Lake Placid and Maple MIMP I bought from you years ago Tom ;) ...only for me to sell last year...I still miss that bass :(
[/quote]

Get a VM precision, you'll love it. Slight tweaks to suit me and I'm gigging it tomorrow! Love it to bits.

OK, to add my t'penneth worth, I took a drive down to Romford on Saturday to take a look at this fabled beast. DV have a very nice shop, but as per most establishments many, many guitars....a few basses.

Tried the display model of the J&D, and for the money I was frankly amazed. Looks the business, very hard to see any issues unless you look very hard (SP fit around the neck a little off, match to control panel not quite spot on), the display model had some white marks on the binding that didn't wipe off (spit and finger). To play, the neck felt as fast as my highway one, I'm not a fan of high gloss necks but this plays fine. Nice sounds from both pickups, with a very nice jazz grunt when you roll the body pick-up right off. Both up full gives a very pleasing thud.

The long and short is I bought one, a boxed one from the warehouse. Inspected it for the marks mentioned above and all was well. Check out the intonation and action when I got home, and bar a couple of tweaks it was spot on.

I bought this as a 'Jam'/experimentation bass, which it will be perfectly good for. Saves me lending my pricier (I won't say better just yet) basses to the great unwashed.

Once I've had her out for proper play I'll report back, but if you are after a cheapy then you can't go far wrong with one of these.

[quote name='Lee Carter' timestamp='1392024245' post='2363588']
OK, to add my t'penneth worth, I took a drive down to Romford on Saturday to take a look at this fabled beast. DV have a very nice shop, but as per most establishments many, many guitars....a few basses.

Tried the display model of the J&D, and for the money I was frankly amazed. Looks the business, very hard to see any issues unless you look very hard (SP fit around the neck a little off, match to control panel not quite spot on), the display model had some white marks on the binding that didn't wipe off (spit and finger). To play, the neck felt as fast as my highway one, I'm not a fan of high gloss necks but this plays fine. Nice sounds from both pickups, with a very nice jazz grunt when you roll the body pick-up right off. Both up full gives a very pleasing thud.

The long and short is I bought one, a boxed one from the warehouse. Inspected it for the marks mentioned above and all was well. Check out the intonation and action when I got home, and bar a couple of tweaks it was spot on.

I bought this as a 'Jam'/experimentation bass, which it will be perfectly good for. Saves me lending my pricier (I won't say better just yet) basses to the great unwashed.

Once I've had her out for proper play I'll report back, but if you are after a cheapy then you can't go far wrong with one of these.
[/quote]

It's nice, isn't it?

I find myself gravitating towards it more than any other of my basses at the moment. Yes it's a cheapie and it may not be "wonderful", but I'm finding it very pleasing.

A little update, took her out for the first time last night for a play (just a jam night, but a good exercise). Well a revelation, apart from the strings (which have the consistency of a cheese grater), the sound is superb...these are good pick-ups, the neck plays as fast as any other neck I've ever played (I could of course just be very slow) and it sits very comfortably on the strap.

To top if off, after my first stint, the house bass player came over and asked about my new toy, 'how much' he asked, so I did the usual how much do you think. he said 'well for a Fender USA you are looking at.........', at this point I put him straight (admittedly I was behind a speaker so he could only see the body, not the headstock), he wandered off looking a little depressed.

She's a keeper, and a keeper with no tweaking needed.