Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

• 4 weeks later...

I`ve de-deco`d the Ray copy for a grand total of £5 using an adjustable nut from China, a mate of mine is a furniture restorer so did a little chisel work and this is the result, plays very nice and i`ve got a Warman pickup to try in place of the original total outlay will have been £75 and a beer for my mate, not a bad result as it happens.

DSC00143.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think some boffins wrote a program to buy anything under 50 squid. They chuck em on eBay then, not mentioning origin and charging full whack. Naughty people.

I only ever managed to get one - bought it as I was so shocked it hadn’t sold already. Sold it two days later to a mate (for the same price, with full disclosure of course!)

7 hours ago, DarkHeart said:

I`ve de-deco`d the Ray copy for a grand total of £5 using an adjustable nut from China

Sod the nut , what about the Warman ?? Did you go for the MM or elavate this to greatness with the Jazzbar 😉

@Pea Turgh

Way back at the start of this thread Annoying Twit wrote some program for "Deco Alerts". Think he must be back in NZ as it's 2 year since he was last on BC.

Beyond me but it was something about scanning the deco page for any changes then letting him know when they happened.

Just come across this thread, sorry.....

Gear4Music was mentioned way back, I made them an offer on a 'damaged', sold as B stock, semi-hollow bass (EB-2 shape), got it for a tad over half price.  The problem?  The jack socket securing nut was missing and the socket had dropped into the body.  Ten minutes fiddling with a bit of stiff wire, finding a securing nut in my spares box, and problem solved.  OK, I had to play around a bit with the action, but that’s to be expected anyway with a new acquisition.

Very happy with it.

On 07/07/2018 at 21:02, kodiakblair said:

Sod the nut , what about the Warman ?? Did you go for the MM or elavate this to greatness with the Jazzbar 😉

@Pea Turgh

I got the MM cracking bit of kit for the money, I personally would say theyre better value for money than the Entwistle Neo pups, wiring was the same colour as the original pup but different so it was a bit of a faff getting both coils wired up correctly to the separate vol controls (im no kiogon) but once sorted its full and loud with a good even volume across all the strings. Me likely! Im still thinking about a new bridge for it as the original is pants, still, it plays ok and sounds ok.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DarkHeart said:

I got the MM cracking bit of kit for the money, I personally would say theyre better value for money than the Entwistle Neo pups, wiring was the same colour as the original pup but different so it was a bit of a faff getting both coils wired up correctly to the separate vol controls (im no kiogon) but once sorted its full and loud with a good even volume across all the strings. Me likely! Im still thinking about a new bridge for it as the original is pants, still, it plays ok and sounds ok.

Fantastic. I've a spare Peavey Foundation body and a harpoon head neck. The Warman MM is part of the plan 👍 Separate Vol for each coil too 😱

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/07/2018 at 15:51, yorks5stringer said:

Everytime I look they have sold out..how does one set an alert for the Thomann site please?

Use the distil.io add on on Firefox. It'll notify you when the page changes. Use the selection tools to only look at the div that contains the current listings.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2018 at 17:38, mathlang said:

Use the distil.io add on on Firefox. It'll notify you when the page changes. Use the selection tools to only look at the div that contains the current listings.

Thanks for this, I've managed to download it and set a bell to ring when it changes, so lets see if it works!

Edited by yorks5stringer

• 8 months later...

This isn't bass related but wanted to share anyway. I was looking for a nice looking semi acoustic of some sort. One that can be left in the living room without being an eyesore.  I took a punt on this deco item. Think I paid 70 quid for it - no idea what a normal one retails at- and for 70 quid I'm blown away! The only issue I see is that the white plastic bridge section was loose and pointing towards the neck meaning the action was extremely low and of course making it not work. However a bit of superglue and its working a treat all the electrics work fine and I can't see any other blemishes at all! 

Love it! 

IMG-20190418-WA0002.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

This isn't bass related but wanted to share anyway. I was looking for a nice looking semi acoustic of some sort. One that can be left in the living room without being an eyesore.  I took a punt on this deco item. Think I paid 70 quid for it - no idea what a normal one retails at- and for 70 quid I'm blown away! The only issue I see is that the white plastic bridge section was loose and pointing towards the neck meaning the action was extremely low and of course making it not work. However a bit of superglue and its working a treat all the electrics work fine and I can't see any other blemishes at all! 

Love it! 

IMG-20190418-WA0002.jpeg

I had wondered about those as they've been hanging around the Deko bargain bin for ages. Nice to know you got a good score, looks lovely!

Yeah it's the same regulars, the 5 string fretless is actually something I'd be interested in but not at that price, if they knock it down to £50 then I'm on it! Weirdly they had the 4 string version of that bass and the 5 string of the fancier model (the 5000 or something?) for about £60-£70 if memory serves, no idea why the fretless basic model is still so much as a deko. I also seem to have missed all the 5 string fretless acoustics they had a year or so ago.

That Nashville guitar is the only interesting instrument on there for a good price and they seem to  be hanging around despite being cheap, I think they look great. 

Edited by lemmywinks

7 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Strange as the have B stock in with the normal stock so not sure what the difference between them is.

B-stock come with 3 year warranty and paid returns. Dekos are QC fails so have no warranty and,if it doesn't match the curtains, you pay for any return.

• 4 years later...