Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

On 8/1/2017 at 14:59, alittlebitrobot said:

My point: I gave up 'the chase' about 2 years ago because things would sell out literally instantly; I think the thread worked out that there were probably scripts running to automatically purchase decos as soon as they were listed. It rather took the fun out of it...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but just, as a possibly final word on it, the page of "decorative" instruments on the Thomann site is almost always empty these days but their eBay page is more frequently populated:
Thomann_gmbh

There's no 'buy it now' option so they're obviously trying to maximise their money on it, but I've seen a few nice things go for good prices.
It's funny to see this Marcus Miller Sire V7s condition listed as "for parts or not working" when the only problem is a dent in the wood near the bridge.

DEKOs seem to have re-appeared in recent weeks, usually 6-8 guitars /basses pop up around mid morning, or sometimes early afternoon, and usually sell out in 2 or 3 minutes. On my third attempt I got a 30 Euro guitar ( though I did have an app which rang a bell when the dekos were listed!).

There is a fiver fretless that seems to hang around for days, if anyone is interested. A bit more than the usual Deko price though.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/decorative_guitars_and_basses.html

• 4 weeks later...

There's a seller on eBay named "barmcgabarr" who's clearly buying a lot of deko guitars and then selling them on at full non-deko price. He's got a JB-75 deko selling for £140, yet they're normally £125 (and deko is around £35).  He's got a JA-60SB for £120, but retail non-deko is £114.70!  He doesn't mention Harley Benton and determinedly avoids showing the headstock front on.  The "D"s stamped in the back are clear to see on the photos, but he doesn't mention them.

Don't know whether to hate or admire the guy.  At the very least it's dishonest, so I hope he's fixing the problems and doding a set up.

It'd explain also why dekos go so quickly - it's easy to get a browser alert and then just say yes to everything.  They'll be others doing it, and they're all turds :)

I don't see what the problem is. If they are being offered at more money than a new version would go for and people are too lazy or stupid to do the research then that's their look out.

I own two deko instruments. One has a slight design fault that means the bridge is not as adjustable as it could be. After 18 months I still haven't found what is supposed to be wrong with the other one.

However from what I've read on here some deko instruments do have significant faults, so I suppose if you are buying with the specific intention of selling on, then you are taking a risk with every purchase. 

TBH there's very little being sold as dekos that are actually worth the potential risk involved. Unless it was something extra special I probably won't be buying another one. Most of the instruments being sold are cheap already, they are just very ordinary instruments at a very bargain price (but only if there is nothing wrong with them). 

39 minutes ago, mathlang said:

There's a seller on eBay named "barmcgabarr" who's clearly buying a lot of deko guitars and then selling them on at full non-deko price. He's got a JB-75 deko selling for £140, yet they're normally £125 (and deko is around £35).  He's got a JA-60SB for £120, but retail non-deko is £114.70!  He doesn't mention Harley Benton and determinedly avoids showing the headstock front on.  The "D"s stamped in the back are clear to see on the photos, but he doesn't mention them. 

I got caught out by this guy, before I was aware of Thomann selling D marked models.

Mine seems OK, but obviously resale value is affected. 

21 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Most of the instruments being sold are cheap already, they are just very ordinary instruments at a very bargain price (but only if there is nothing wrong with them). 

There's £180 cheap and there's £30 cheap.

On 3/12/2018 at 18:47, mathlang said:

It'd explain also why dekos go so quickly - it's easy to get a browser alert and then just say yes to everything.  They'll be others doing it, and they're all turds :)

Managed to get a cheap 'strat' copy for £27 on my third attempt, using an app which told me when the website updated. Reckon each time I placed the order under 2 minutes from the update. So selling out very quick.

I remember the old days when my electro acoustic  5 string and 4 string HB Deko were up there for at least 2 days (maybe they had millions?) So many apps/alerts must be in use now.

I now have all I need from the HB stable. Sold the electro last year, as a Deko, for what I paid for it, with warts declared. Wow, these Deko's hold their value.

Sincerely

'turd'

:)

2 hours ago, pfretrock said:

It's been like that for around 3 weeks at least. 5-10 or so up daily.

The list has been stable for a while; 7-8 items including a single bass (5-string fretless).  Yesterday there were 26 up, for about 5 minutes..

• 1 month later...
On 10/05/2018 at 00:05, yorks5stringer said:

These have been on for about a month now, if I needed a Jazz  i'd try one, they are returnable under german distance selling regs...

You can return them, but I think you must pay postage back to Germany - good luck with that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...