Why become a member? ×

J&D basses? surf green 70s Jazz? and... this?

mcnach

I saw a link to a beautiful surf green Jazz with maple fingerboard and blocks for £119... that I don't really need but that's a combination that sends tingles down my spine and I... cannot... resist...
However, searching for those, I came across another J&D bass that looks pretty cool and is designed for a Stingray vibe, soundwise...
I thought some of you might enjoy looking at this too:

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-yc-200-4-string-bass-guitar-black--200785"]http://www.dv247.com...r-black--200785[/url]

very pleased the don't do this with maple fingerboard :P

are these J&D any good? How do they compare, say, against a Squier VM Jazz?

Edited by mcnach

I heard a young guy playing one down at Whighams in Edinburgh. He was in the house band at the 'Blues Tuesday' open mic night. It was a reasonable sound but didn't sound like a Stingray.
As soon as he got the chance he swopped it with with a very grungy 70's Jazz Bass, with a horrible action, that a jammer had brought along. So I assume it's not his first love, just a bass that he could afford.
I recommend you play one, if you can, before you fork any money out.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1390074155' post='2341234']
Oosh. That looks ace. Still toying with the idea of getting the Surf Green Jazz.
[/quote]

I got the surf green Jazz :blush: (edit: I mean I ordered one, this very afternoon)
That's how I found the one above.

Surf green and maple fingerboard. £119 delivered. If it's a dog I'll just hang it on the wall and look at it :gas: :lol:

Edited by mcnach

It seems that J&D basses (and guitars) are made by a Taiwanese company called Yeou Chern.

http://www.productpilot.com/en/suppliers/yeou-chern-international-corp/en

On talkbass, people were claiming that J&D basses are made by the same company that makes SX basses, but this appears not be true. Yeou Chern was mentioned in a talkbass thread, and this appears to check out.

Yeou Chern say that they've done OEM work for "ARIA, DEAN, EHIPHINE, FENDER, GIBSON, IBANEZ, WASHBURN" and others.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1390140438' post='2341809']
I got mine last friday....i'll post a review soon...in the meantime....yes its very pretty bass indeed and plays great....hot and bright pups...very piano like but good range of tones
[/quote]

go on go on go on go on go on... :lol:

review! clips! pictures!

(nah, I'm not excited one bit :P)

I have a gig on Friday, and I might just take it with me (should be with me by Wednesday or so, I suppose) if I like it enough and I find someone who would take pictures (because it's soooo pretty :lol:)