Why become a member? ×

10'' replace or re-cone…that is the question?

Petey

I have an early 90s Mesa Boogie 2 x 10 Diesel Cab which has a blown speaker and the other one pushing out only 9 of the 16 Ohms…being the sort of guy whom likes to keep the things original as much as possible I would therefore need to have a re-cone (The basket/electronics etc are all ok)….However, with speaker developments over the last 25yrs do you think it would it be better to completely change my approach and replace them with some more modern spks…the cab fits in-between a matching 1x 15 cab and the boogie 400+ head

I think you need to get MB to tell what chassis they are and if they still have the coning kits.
If you can't do this or get the info, you have no choice but to replace the units.

Chances are the chassis aren't that special... this is not a big deal and may well make it easy to get a
matched replacement... and if the can works well to your ears, then that is the final arbiter on drivers, IMV.

Many cab makers will tell the chassis units are bespoke... and that keeps you inline to use them for replacements.
Doesn't help at all, when the speakers are out of production

However, there may be one or two chaps on here who could backward-research/guess/esitmate what chassis you actually have
and could make a fair stab at pointing you in the direction of a good replacement.
If you have model numbers, that would be a start....they may then ask for cab and port dims etc etc ...
I am sure one or two will be along at some point

Just don't assume that a 10" will fit right in... there is way more to it than that...

I found this out with SWR PAS units

update….photos of speakers and info sent to Boogie people stateside, and to Glasgow, and they replied that they are the original EV spks…apparently re-echoing kit is available, but sounds a tad expensive to me …..

I also have an Ampeg 4x10 and replaced all 4 spks when I first got it to a 'truly' amazing effect….(drummer loves it guitarist hates it ..ha ha typical) however, I am thinking re-coning rather than replacing at the moment = thanks all for your comments….

Unfortunately EV's have always been expensive, but, IMO, they are worth it. If the kits are readily available I'd definitely recone the one you have.

I used EV's in every cab I owned between 1989 and 2007 (MusicMan 212, Dynacord 115 and Mesa Boogie 115 and 210).

I miss them. I wish EV did lightweight speakers.

Depending what you are comparing them with... but I'd recone as per the manufacturer..especially f you know and like the sound.
EV were a decent name but if you go for new chassis from a new maker...then the sound could be quite a leap of faith.

It didn't work for me... despite many saying it was a good swap..