Why become a member? ×

Fodera Emperor 5 Standard

thebassist

I haven't played the Emperor 5 Standard , but I have played a couple of earlier Fodera bolt-on, 4 and 5 string, and they were superb instruments, in no way inferior to the set-neck or neck-thru models ( I actually preferred them) , and what I also remember vividly is that the five string was substantially lighter in weight than the very weighty neck-thru models I played at the same time. How typical that weight difference is , however, I couldn't really say.

This Standard range looks in essence to a be a production run of same-spec bolt on models, and if they are made by Fodera then all the essential aspects of lutherie that make a bass perform properly will almost certainly have been done with the highest standard of craftsmanship. That is the secret of Fodera basses, and most other revered high-end bass makers, for that matter . The simple, basic aspects of guitar making are done precisely and correctly, and that makes all the difference when you pick them up and play them . I'm not a big fan of Fodera basses myself- just not my cup of tea, I'm afraid- but they are undeniably top quality , albeit at a very high retail price.

Edited by Dingus