Why become a member? ×

Markbass - all made in Indonesia now and heavy?

phatbass787

There are some very good deals on a certain German music retailers website at the moment. Not too sure if these new lower prices for the Indonesian products, or just a blow out. A good bit cheaper than UK prices though, especially the 8ohm 4x10s. I'm thinking of grabbing a 1x12 for smaller gigs.

Edit, on checking the photos on said website - there do appear to be the new Indonesian models.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1400180400' post='2451604']
Prices have definitely taken a drop, and considering that they test in Indonesia, then retest in Italy before distributing its probably still a fair price.
[/quote]

I recently bought a (Indonesian) NY121 to go with my Italian Traveler 121 and to my ears and eyes the quality is the same as I have been used to. In the past I have owned 2x Traveler 102's a Std 102HF and still have (for now at least) 2x Club121's.
I've loved them all and see no likelihood that my opinion will change on the evidence of the NY121.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1400226776' post='2451940']
If that is the case...prices are dropping, then that takes a little wind out of the sales...

Still, overall, not in favour of diluting a product/brand.

Good luck to them, with their new business model
[/quote]

+1....i'd rather pay more if they kept it as it was and made a new LM4/F500 with more wattage.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400236544' post='2452087']
+1....i'd rather pay more if they kept it as it was and made a new LM4/F500 with more wattage.
[/quote]

for LM4... you mean something like the LM 800?
[url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=98"]http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=98[/url]

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1400237090' post='2452102']
for LM4... you mean something like the LM 800?
[url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=98"]http://www.markbass....etail.php?id=98[/url]
[/quote]

Nah, unfortunately I'm not keen on the MB 800 watt tone...its different to the 500W offerings.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400237812' post='2452115']
Nah, unfortunately I'm not keen on the MB 800 watt tone...its different to the 500W offerings.
[/quote]

How does it differ G, I was looking at this route down the line with my set up?

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1400240527' post='2452149']
How does it differ G, I was looking at this route down the line with my set up?
[/quote]

The LM3 tone is, as you will know, that classic Markbass warm/clear/almost tube like tone, but quite 'flat'.

I've tried the LMTube 800, and I think I also tried the LM800 on the same day. It just seems to have a MUCH deeper wider low end, quite ice-picky highs...something isn't quite as nice IMO.

There are some discussions on Talkbass about it as well. All personal preference I guess :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400237812' post='2452115']
[/quote]

Really? I thought it was essentially an LM2/LM3 with a different power module to bring it up to 800W...

How is it different? I have never seen one in the flesh, or heard it.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400243609' post='2452203']
The LM3 tone is, as you will know, that classic Markbass warm/clear/almost tube like tone, but quite 'flat'.

I've tried the LMTube 800, and I think I also tried the LM800 on the same day. It just seems to have a MUCH deeper wider low end, quite ice-picky highs...something isn't quite as nice IMO.

There are some discussions on Talkbass about it as well. All personal preference I guess :)
[/quote]

Ah, I've seen a lot about the LM Tube 800, not so much about the LM800... I guess it's hard to pick apart. Hmm, deeper wider low end is not something I would particularly want.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1400250316' post='2452294']

Really? I thought it was essentially an LM2/LM3 with a different power module to bring it up to 800W...

How is it different? I have never seen one in the flesh, or heard it.
[/quote]

Unfortunately not. When the LM3/LM800/LMT/LMT800 came out I went to try them all at the Bass Merchant. The LMT sounded very similar to the LM3, but the 800 watt versions have a different tone overall...which I'm guessing is due to how the 800 watt Class D reacts with the pre, or an inherent part of the tone of the power section, or even just the voicing Markbass wanted.

The LM2/3 is a classic.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400251076' post='2452306']
Unfortunately not. When the LM3/LM800/LMT/LMT800 came out I went to try them all at the Bass Merchant. The LMT sounded very similar to the LM3, but the 800 watt versions have a different tone overall...which I'm guessing is due to how the 800 watt Class D reacts with the pre, or an inherent part of the tone of the power section, or even just the voicing Markbass wanted.

The LM2/3 is a classic.
[/quote]

I see. The name is misleading then. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Well I read through the entire thread before taking the plunge and buying an Indonesian Mini CMD121P last week 09/06/14.
Sounds great, nice and light just as expected.
Then tonight I go to pick it up and the plastic end on the handle snaps where it attaches to the screw. Great, I haven't even gigged it yet.
To make matters worse I also have a NY 121P on its way to me. Will this suffer the same fate? Edit: Just realised that the cab doesn't have a strap handle thank goodness!
Beginning to wonder if I've made the right choice here, thank goodness I wasn't carrying it outside at the time but at home on carpet.

Edited by Fenderlicious

I generally assume all companies/businesses/ retailers rip us off, but in fairness to MB asian manufacture with lower costs and the same RRP as before is the standard way for any EU business to bury inflation and buy in to the supposed economic recovery.

[quote name='Fenderlicious' timestamp='1403295948' post='2481680']
Well I read through the entire thread before taking the plunge and buying an Indonesian Mini CMD121P last week 09/06/14.
Sounds great, nice and light just as expected.
Then tonight I go to pick it up and the plastic end on the handle snaps where it attaches to the screw. Great, I haven't even gigged it yet.
To make matters worse I also have a NY 121P on its way to me. Will this suffer the same fate?
Beginning to wonder if I've made the right choice here, thank goodness I wasn't carrying it outside at the time but at home on carpet.
[/quote]

oh no! that's pretty bad!

did it actually break, or did the screw just came off?
On mine, Italian, I noticed soon after I got it, that the handle screws were feeling a little loose. I tightened them and I noticed every once in a while they feel a bit loose, so I just check them regularly. Just in case.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1403300121' post='2481723']
oh no! that's pretty bad!

did it actually break, or did the screw just came off?
On mine, Italian, I noticed soon after I got it, that the handle screws were feeling a little loose. I tightened them and I noticed every once in a while they feel a bit loose, so I just check them regularly. Just in case.
[/quote]

Yes the plastic that surrounds the screw has broken so no way to re-atach it. I bought the amp locally so going to contact the shop tomorrow to see what they say.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1403300711' post='2481735']
Looks like poor design, to me. There should be a penny washer or similar to spread the load, I'd have thought. Just sayin' :mellow:
[/quote]

That's indeed extremely poor design! Or a mistake :o I would have assumed the plastic bit was merely a cover and that the actual load was born by the screw attached to the handle (metallic core). There must be a piece missing on that one, I can't believe mine would have lasted until now if the weight were born by the plastic cover... hmmm

Wow... Fenderlicious, THANK YOU for posting this!!!

Mine is the same design and... it looks like it would have not lasted much longer. Thanks for making me check and avert a possible disaster.

Pictures coming in a few minutes...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1403301745' post='2481749']
Wow... Fenderlicious, THANK YOU for posting this!!!

Mine is the same design and... it looks like it would have not lasted much longer. Thanks for making me check and avert a possible disaster.

Pictures coming in a few minutes...
[/quote]

Just as well you checked mcnach, I'm guessing they'll be a lot of people doing it once word gets round?
I contacted Markbass customer support earlier so wait to hear what they have to say about it.