Why become a member? ×

Markbass - all made in Indonesia now and heavy?

phatbass787

I have owned quite a few Italian made Markbass amps, including LittleMark series 2's & 3's - two LMK's and two - (one of which blew up) - F1's'

All of them were great amps - even the F1 that blew up ...................... until it blew up :D!!

Due to not gigging very much in my dotage - if at all :(, but still being a fan of the MB sound I bought a MB Blackline 250 and in my very humble opinion the build quality, sound and functionality is no better and no worse than the other MB amps I've owned, is as loud as heck & sounds 'fab' :gas:!!

There were two big pluses for me in buying one of these - the cost and as an old codger, I prefer the more subdued appearance of the fascia.

Top marks to Marco for producing a high quality product, at a price that even us Pensioners can afford B)!!

Oh and by the by - I knew exactly where it was manufactured prior buying, without very much digging & as with the Italian models - it weighs next to nothing........... :D!!

I'm back to using the Markbass CMD 121P Combo / NY121 cab. The Combo is Italian mfg. (May 2013) The cab is Indonesian mfg. If the newer cabs are heavier, mine may be an older mfg. They sound great, and are built like Brick Shizt Houses. Great job, Marco Markbass.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I had a fantastic session today with the Markbass Mini CMD 121P/NY121 Combo, and Cab. The Am. Spl. Precision is really sounding good with the two 12's. Nothing cheap about this Markbass.[/font][/color]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wEtOeqt.jpg[/IMG]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1399989607' post='2449631']
A little update on my latest NY121
[/quote]

Markbass' failure rate is ridiculously low so you've been very unlucky! Sure your replacement will be perfect once the drivers have been "broken in" :)

I found an interesting copy of the Markbass Magazine from 2009 online today. The front page reads:
[font=sans-serif][size=7]
"100% Made in Italy[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
The only way to maintain and grow the worldwide success of[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
Markbass is to keep manufacturing our products in Italy, where we[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
have full control over the entire process, from the quality of our[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
materials to our rigorous testing procedures. We stand firm on this,[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
despite the fact that so many other companies have moved their[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
production to Asia, seduced by the short-term economic benefits of[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
lower production costs.[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
Manufacturing in Italy not only keeps us on top of our quality control,[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
it also allows us to continuously—and quickly—innovate and refine[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
our products.[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
We couldn’t work this way with an offshore factory, because we’d be[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
locked into inflexible long-term production schedules. Our products[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
cannot afford this type of inflexibility! We’re a company with vision,[/size][/font]
passion, and blah blah blah."

(Don't shoot the messenger. I'm a Markbass user and I like their stuff.)

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1399999456' post='2449779']
I found an interesting copy of the Markbass Magazine from 2009 online today. The front page reads:
[font=sans-serif][size=7]
"100% Made in Italy[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
The only way to maintain and grow the worldwide success of[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
Markbass is to keep manufacturing our products in Italy, where we[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
have full control over the entire process, from the quality of our[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
materials to our rigorous testing procedures. We stand firm on this,[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
despite the fact that so many other companies have moved their[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
production to Asia, seduced by the short-term economic benefits of[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
lower production costs.[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
Manufacturing in Italy not only keeps us on top of our quality control,[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
it also allows us to continuously—and quickly—innovate and refine[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
our products.[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
We couldn’t work this way with an offshore factory, because we’d be[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
locked into inflexible long-term production schedules. Our products[/size][/font][font=sans-serif][size=4]
cannot afford this type of inflexibility! We’re a company with vision,[/size][/font]

[/quote]

Maybe that was the case in 2009. Quite a bit of time has passed since then and they are a much more stable and established company now, perhaps.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1399999456' post='2449779']

[font=sans-serif][size=7]"100% Made in Italy[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]The only way to maintain and grow the worldwide success of[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]Markbass is to keep manufacturing our products in Italy, where we[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]have full control over the entire process, from the quality of our[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]materials to our rigorous testing procedures. We stand firm on this,[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]despite the fact that so many other companies have moved their[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]production to Asia, seduced by the short-term economic benefits of[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]lower production costs.[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]Manufacturing in Italy not only keeps us on top of our quality control,[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]it also allows us to continuously—and quickly—innovate and refine[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]our products.[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]We couldn’t work this way with an offshore factory, because we’d be[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]locked into inflexible long-term production schedules. Our products[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]cannot afford this type of inflexibility! We’re a company with vision,[/size][/font]

[/quote]

Oh dear!

I've never liked the idea of pacific rim production... particuarly when our high st prices isn't
reflected in the savings to the manufacturing costs.

I don't know their product line and prices well enough to know whether the prices have
gone down but that is the real reason why most people buy fridges and washers from China
because they are dirt cheap.
If you don't get that benefit, then Markbasses own words back in 2009 are quite damning, IMO.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1400154891' post='2451240']
It is a bit of an ideological U-turn, isn't it?
[/quote]

That's what I thought. It was a bit of an overreaction but I ended up selling/trading my Markbass rig on the back of this. I can't deny the stuff is top notch quality, but I wasn't as in love with the brand as I was when I first got it. And I'm actually much more suited to my Peavey rig even if it does weigh 4x as much!!

I think that this forensic examination of the Markbass business is unwarranted. I'd suggest that its a sensible business decision to build in the Pacific Rim; so for me there is no Issue, Mr Markbass has a business to run, employees, suppliers and presumably business loans to pay - if he out-sources his manufacturing then this is his issue.

It takes a lot of bottle to put together a business and build it, he has demonstrated on here that he is well aware of threats to his business if build quality of his product range suffers.

Of course it is his decision, he isn't the first, will not be the last...
but that decision does impact on the users/buyers and they may..
as I do.. feel that there is a price to pay. Their/our money will
be paid and their/our choices will be made.
He can't, and I am sure he isn't, be unaware of that.

I have never been in love with Markbass myself, soundwise... but respected
that they had a quality and a local build ethic.
In general, I am against outsourcing ...so I don't like to see
leading names go east and I will buy all my kit from the west..
as far as I can. All my basses and amps and cabs are made either
in the U.K or America. I'll pay a premium for that IF they deliver,
which I think they do, or otherwise I wouldn't have them, of course.

I am not trying to make the point that the far east can't make great products
but the west could outsource everything and then where does that leave you?

I am sorry Markbass is in the firing line, others have had the same for the same reason,
but these business decisions tend not to be for the end user, they tend to be for the
'shareholders', IMO.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1400171840' post='2451455']
Given that it may already have contributed to a drop in reliability of the speakers
[/quote]
Do you have evidence of this (figures as a percentage), beyond a 'spot of bad luck'..?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1400169039' post='2451413']
...business decisions tend not to be for the end user, they tend to be for the
'shareholders', IMO.
[/quote]
Yes, business decisions are made for the shareholders - having been a Director and shareholder of a business (150+ employees) I can confirm this

This is a business that has had to review its strategy, perhaps the made in Italy thing looks a bit silly now, but reviews happen all the time.