Why become a member? ×

Markbass - all made in Indonesia now and heavy?

phatbass787

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1392473090' post='2369145']
To be fair, Marco has stated that only one cab has increased in weight and not the one the OP mentioned. It would be very helpful if the OP could post the actual weights of the two cabs that started this whole topic. A set of bathroom scales would probably be accurate enough.
[/quote]

Actually it was the 102P mentioned in the OP. It would be interesting to see what the actual weight difference is. To be fair if its only 1.4kg that's hardly a deal breaker.

The whole thing is still a bit of a disaster though.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1392473960' post='2369160']
Actually it was the 102P mentioned in the OP. It would be interesting to see what the actual weight difference is. To be fair if its only 1.4kg that's hardly a deal breaker.
[/quote]

Sorry, I think I was confused about the references to a '210' cab, doh!

But yes, some figures about the actual weight difference would seem to be the key issue here.

I really don't see the problem.

If like everyone is saying the new Indonesian built ones sound the same and use the same components, then so what ?

Surely it's better to still have Markbass building quality and good sounding amps, than for them to maybe go the same way as Modulus basses ?

It's good to know the specs haven't changed much.

For me, its mainly to do with the fact that part of the allure was the Made In Italy thing. Paying the same for something that no longer says that doesn't seem right to me, especially when it's well known that the Labour costs in Indonesia are lower. Sure, the quality may be the same or better due to the double testing but it still bothers me.

Anyway, welcome to the forum Marco! It's great to have more ways to interact with manufacturers, and I'm sure you guys will benefit from the forum too.

Sincerely I am not writing you because there is some disaster, my brand is in 56 country and in all country we are a top brand, i want only that all customers have the rigth information, so next Monday i will write you from my iffice with all new weith and all info you need or you like to have. I read that we are using a MDF! Never i used MDF! Also except 102 that was my decision all other yellow line is more ligth, only black line is with standard speakers to go in the market around 500 euro where my brand was not before. Also we have also kodels made in Italy like TTE 500 or Big Bang or some other cab when we needs more item for production. The speakers are the same that i used in Italy.

Some years ago when I e-mailed Marco for advice on the best Markbass amp/cab pairing to suit my needs, he got back to me real quick with a detailed response.His recommendation was bang on. Markbass gear kept me in the game, not only because of the tone on offer, but primarily because of portability and light weight. There was little alternative back then,other than weekly visits to to the physio due to carrying around the heavy weight alternatives. For keeping me in the game, I am eternally grateful to Marco. I have used different combinations of Markbass amps/cabs over the years and they never let me down.
Would prefer if Markbass continued to manufacture their gear in Italy, but things change I guess.
Welcome to Basschat Marco

Edited by leroydiamond

Thanks ! It is really hard to explain to the peoples all decision but i will try. I cannot now because i am with the family, as many of you that likes his work I am working around 12 hours for day, excuse me i am not working because i am luky to do what I can do and other peoples call work, anycase for me it is very important that all of you understand all my devision, all peoples that know me knows the respect that i have for all customers and the same that all my peoples must have for you!! Any case it is nice to write in this UK forum, it is really important so i put this link on my phone. So please ask all you want and I will give you all information, but tone, quality and respect for you is the same also if you will buy GiovanniBass!

Dear all, first i like to say you that i read many thing that is absolute not true, for example there is a discussion on MDF that i never considered for my cabinets for two matters, it is to much heavey and because for quality.
so when i decided to check the possibility to make my cab in Indonesia i checked several kind of wood, and at the end i decided for the two that i was using in Italy: .after many test i decided that all my products will be in Poplar, and the kind that i am using in Indonesia is a great quality and also more ligth that i was using here. Many of my competitors speak about the lightness of his products , but my products is always the more light so I am decided to give another plus to my cabinets.

there is only a cabinet that is Traveler 102p that i decided to make in PW ( Particle Board), and is the only case where the weight is little more that before.
Regarding speakers, as i wrote is many times that we are not using only B&C and the Thiele and Small parameters are the same!!
here a list of new weight and old of my cabinet:

STD 104 HR WAS 25,5 KG TODAY 21.5 KG
STD 151 HR WAS 24 KG " " 21.5 KG
STD 104 HF WAS 29.9 KG " " 25 KG
COMBO MINI CMD 121 WAS 13.5 KG TODAY 9.9 KG
TRAVELER 102P WAS 15 KG TODAY 18 KG ( THE ONLY CABINET THAT INCREASE HIS WEIGHT)
STD 104 HR BLACK 35.3 KG NEVER MADE IN ITALY ( CLASSIC SPEAKERS NO NEODIMIUM) CUSTO SPEAKERS FOR BLACK LINE

as you can see thanks to the fact that we are making it in a new place we improve our features.
important matter: we used always the screw in my cabinet, no other company do it, and when my supplier in Asia asked me why i use this way to do it, i said because we are Markbass and never never we had one cabinet in our brand life that come back for a problem in his box!!

also i tried personally the first 500 cab made in Indonesia and never there was a problem, we worked very hard with my suppliers.
the only things that i don't like is that now much more peoples knows as we make our box!

i wait your comment to give you more info, and all we will write all new wight in our web, but please understand that the weight of wood can change of each shipment.

another important matter: i read that some peoples ask to to some test with my cab, please remember that all cabinet has some small difference also if it is the same model!
this because the speakers ( all speakers not only mine) has a dispersion around 20 % in his spec; also the position in the room can change the result in amazing way! i have years of experience on this, so please put a great attention when you hear difference!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1392382876' post='2367975']
Veering off-topic a bit, the thing that has surprised me most in this thread is not where Markbass source their cabs but the comparison between ply and MDF.

Having (at least partly) grown up on boats, I rate good-quality ply very highly indeed whereas I've always considered MDF to be a rather toxic form of chipboard, cheap & nasty.

May need to re-calibrate ...
[/quote]

OK, if I wasn't confused before, I certainly am now.

excuse me for my english I know that is not the best, I decided to use a Particle Board for 102P because I was worried about vibration, that we never had, but i can admit now, that we are coming back also in this mode,

we decrease the weight only for wood, I am using a special kind of Multiply , also all my wood is ready for export, that is another plus in the cost

That all looks good. One question is, and I have been known to be completely but isn't the "Traveler" range so called because it was compact, light & easy to transport. So, why of all the products was this made heavier! Can you tell I had my eye on a couple of the 102P cabs but will probably look at other options now it falls into the same weights as other cab manufacturers. 2 or 3KG makes a difference!

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1392656456' post='2371160']
isn't the "Traveler" range so called because it was compact, light & easy to transport. So, why of all the products was this made heavier!
[/quote]

This question has been answered:

[quote name='Marco Markbass' timestamp='1392655951' post='2371142']
excuse me for my english I know that is not the best, I decided to use a Particle Board for 102P because I was worried about vibration, that we never had, but i can admit now, that we are coming back also in this mode,
[/quote]

Marco, does this mean you will be moving back to ply for the 102P?

I like others here like the "Made in Italy" difference that we had with Mark Bass. Equally I drive 2 Alfa Romeos and most of the bits that go wrong are actually made by Bosch (or others) in Germany. So maybe we should give them a chance? I know Marco is an Engineer but I do think they should have handled this change in a more transparent way as it was always going to get out....!

regarding 102p as i wrote was my decision, but i check and i agree that traveler is Small light and with great power, so i will check, any case here i don't like to convince any one that my amps is the best, for this you need to try and to hear it, but i like that you know that the quality is better and there is no any compromise on it!

about to publicizing it in right way, there is not a right way , but as I told you i recheck all here in Italy and my way to make my cab is not the same of other brands! this is very important point!
many of you knows the story of some big brand, that had many problems with his Asian production and no one can say that it improve his quality! i can say this! I hope that my philosophy is clear, that is the more important things.

Ciao Marco

I was wondering ... How have you managed to reduce the weight of the CMD 121P by over 3.5kg?

You have mentioned that the Indonesian ply is lighter than that which you used in Italy, but it's such a small box. What other factors account for the huge reduction in the weight of that particular product?