Why become a member? ×

Markbass - all made in Indonesia now and heavy?

phatbass787

[quote name='EddyGlee' timestamp='1389714777' post='2337148']
Looking at the Markbass product pages.. I can't see anything about it been made in Italy!?
But at the bottom of the product specs it does say.. "[color=#020202][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana][size=3]Product specifications are subject to change without notice" [/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

....perhaps now omitted? I don't really care that much as I don't own any MB now, but 4-5 years ago these guys were one of the best.

I'm not bothered about a companies profit margins or accounts. I'm interested in it from a customers point of view.

Edited by Musicman20

The Blackline series introduced last year was all Indonesian assembled and this was reflected in the price which was very competitive. However it would be interesting to know if all their cabs are going to be assembled there? If this is the case and it is going to be heavier and the same price as the Italian stuff, it would seem a bit of an own goal?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1389722974' post='2337254']
...[b].[/b]perhaps now omitted? I don't really care that much as I don't own any MB now, but 4-5 years ago these guys were one of the best.
I[/quote]

Possibly so mate. And I agree with you that these are/were killer amps.. hope that continues to be the case, tho the weight increase seems to indicate otherwise perhaps!? :unsure:

I find it disappointing as a loyal MB user. I admired Marco for his commitment to Italian manufacturing.
MB used to advertise "100% Made in Italy. The only way to maintain the growth and worldwide success of Markbass is to keep manufacturing in Italy, where we control the entire process from the quality of our materials to our rigorous testing procedures." :(

I wouldn't be very fussed if they'd switched production to Indonesia per se (especially if they no longer tout the kit as Made In Italy), but I'd be mightily naffed off if the cab I'd ordered turned out to be (significantly) heavier than it was supposed to be. That's a big deal.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1389746880' post='2337594']
I don't see the problem myself.

Markbass aren't claiming their kit is made in Italy any more and their amps (along with everyone elses) have been full of Far Eastern components for decades.
[/quote]

Well, Indonesian construction of the amps/cabs may have been on the cards for some time. However, it is odd that they introduced a budget line (Black Line 250 I think) that was much cheaper, and made in Indonesia, and now it 'appears' their normal line of amps/cabs are going that way.

A weight increase is also not acceptable without a full explanation in my opinion. Why is it heavier? Are we paying the same/a little less for cheaper wood/cheaper construction?

I used to love my Little Mark III, but now this is happening, I would steer clear.

Edited by Musicman20

It does seem strange that MB would allow the weight of their cabs to increase when that is one of their big selling points. A few percent is probably neither here nor there but 30% as mentioned above is hardly going to go unnoticed by their customers.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1389787922' post='2337844']
However, it is odd that they introduced a budget line (Black Line 250 I think) that was much cheaper, and made in Indonesia, and now it 'appears' their normal line of amps/cabs are going that way.
[/quote]

It does appear as though the Black Line was a tester to see if mass production in Indonesia would significantly reduce the quality of the equipment. It probably turned out that they were still to a satisfactory standard with cheaper labour costs, and so went for it. It is a shame though, as they always made a huge deal about being Made In Italy, and that there's some microscopic percentage failure rate. Hopefully it's only the weight that has increased!

I always saw Markbass's Italian-ness as part of their 'thing'. There's something about 'Made in Italy' that is strangely attractive, irrespective of the actual quality. I've got two bikes and they're both Italian - the Japs and a whole lot of other people make what the data suggest are better bikes (e.g., weight, performance, handling etc) and do so a lot cheaper, but give me Italian workmanship anytime.

As the great philosopher Jeremy Clarkson always said when confronted by the better performance data of the cheaper German cars "I'd still buy the Alfa Romeo". And he's a man that knows :)

Just checked the back of my cab, that was bought recently and it says designed in Italy, assembled in Indonesia,

The cab is still incredibly light in my opinion, to think of it even lighter makes me think that on full bens the cab would move around the stage! Haha!

I did notice that there was a distinct weight difference between a lmII 210 combo (which must be a made in Italy) and the 210 traveller I have. That combo was ridiculously light.

Personally, if I wanted another 210, I would go for the traveller again. I've been into the cab to look inside and I was impressed with the build. I've had top-line ashdown (klystron neo) gear that was nowhere near the quality of the MB cab. So, like others have said, the Indonesian build doesn't bother me if the quality is at the level it is.

I'd be annoyed, I think, if I has a mismatch.

Do they sound any different A/Bd?

I have thought for sometime, they have too many products now. Maybe if they had rationalized these down they could have kept it all in Italy. The ones they have discontinued were better than some of the line that remains, Has Marco lost his way. 3 Amps and 5 different cabs would be enough. Any one here about to rush out and buy a programable Amp. Or have spare MoMark modules they swap over between Gigs ?

I have no issue with buying from the Far East as long as I know that's what I'm doing. I'm more than happy with my Squier VM for example but I didn't expect it to be as good as my old US 75ri. But, I do try and support UK and European manufacture and will pay a premium to avoid everything going to the PRC etc......on this basis I wouldn't be happy buying something I believed to be made in the EU to find that it wasn't.

I've just picked up my new Micromark 801 that I special-ordered before xmas. It, too, now sports the "Designed in Italy. Assembled in Indonesia" sticker and likewise is heavier than it 'should' be; 6.6kg as opposed to the advertised 5.2kg which is nearly a 27% increase. Don't get me wrong, it sounds absolutely great - everything I hoped for and more in that respect - and had this thread not been started I almost certainly would never have thought to weigh it, but given that I bought it specifically for maximum portability and paid a considerable premium for the Markbass name and everything which that (as a happy owner of several other products) stood for, it's rather irritating to find that it's no longer as-advertised.

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1390049932' post='2340868']
Hey Ed,
was it cheaper on account of the much lower labour costs involved, or was it the same price as the lighter weight Italian made combo ?

Cheers Pete
[/quote]

Hey Pete,

List price from MSL to the shop was the same from what I can work out. I got a bit knocked off the price as an attempt to price-match with Thomann, but they couldn't do it for the same price because they had to make a minimum margin on the sale!

Cheers,
Ed

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1390048397' post='2340853']
I've just picked up my new Micromark 801 that I special-ordered before xmas. It, too, now sports the "Designed in Italy. Assembled in Indonesia" sticker and likewise is heavier than it 'should' be; 6.6kg as opposed to the advertised 5.2kg which is nearly a 27% increase. Don't get me wrong, it sounds absolutely great - everything I hoped for and more in that respect - and had this thread not been started I almost certainly would never have thought to weigh it, but given that I bought it specifically for maximum portability and paid a considerable premium for the Markbass name and everything which that (as a happy owner of several other products) stood for, it's rather irritating to find that it's no longer as-advertised.
[/quote]
I bought a Genz Benz Contour last year based on the weight. When it arrived it was about 8Lbs heavier than advertised and it went straight back. Whilst I can understand that if it sounds the business, you wouldn't want to send it back, but Markbass need to change their weight specs as soon as possible.