Why become a member? ×

4, 5 or 6-string?

thebassist

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1389622932' post='2336192']
Thanks a lot for your views. Very interesting indeed. And I see you've got a Fender FMT Jazz V. I had the IV version of that - wish I hadn't sold it!
[/quote]

Thanks, its a great bass but as I need to thin the heard a bit I'm going to be putting it up for sale in the next couple of weeks!

I don't solo so never really need a 6 string despite almost always having had one (that gets played) however, a 5 is indispensible to me. Use one all the time. I do own a 4 string but there is no sound in the world better than a low D played on a B string. It fills the stage.

Play all my low E's on the B string too, also any F / F#

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1389648127' post='2336613']
....a 5 is indispensible to me. Use one all the time. I do own a 4 string but there is no sound in the world better than a low D played on a B string. It fills the stage....
[/quote]

+++1

I bought a cheap 5 string on a bit of a whim a few years ago, and through a long winded series of events it became my most used instrument. I still lose myself occasionally (especially when learning new stuff) in the search for a "home" left hand position as I probably still "think" in 4 strings before translating it to 5. But the more I play 5 string, the more natural it feels.

I have found it useful in many scenarios where the band has needed a key change- (All right now in G anyone?) as well as giving that low growl for certain riffs (the band use the Paranoid riff in D for a mash up, and it sounds so much better in the lower octave available on the 5 string)

I have recently splashed out again on a nice (for me) 4 string, so will be using both intermittently in an effort to get equally proficient on both.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1389709621' post='2337087']
....When I get the 5 I intend to use it exclusively for a long time to try to get used to it as quickly as possible....
[/quote]

+1

I think that to be the best way to start playing a 5.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1389709621' post='2337087']
When I get the 5 I intend to use it exclusively for a long time to try to get used to it as quickly as possible.
[/quote]

A good idea is to [i]'think'[/i] about it before you even get it.

Imagine you're playing it, visualise the new notes in your mind, see a new low D on the 3rd fret of the new string, imagine playing a low G, not on the 3rd fret of the E string where you'd usually find it, but it's now also at the 8th fret on the new string too :D .

Sounds a bit daft maybe, but it worked for me when I transitioned from a 4 to a 5, and again when I moved from a 5 to a 6.

You're 100% right there. I've been trying to focus on that very thing when practicing over the past few days. I have decided to definitely go with a 5-string over a 6 now. I'd love a Fodera but my budget will stretch to a Ken Smith - I just need to play a bunch and find the right bass.