Why become a member? ×

4, 5 or 6-string?

thebassist

I've recently joined a jazz fusion band and after our rehearsal this week, one of the guys asked whether I'd ever played a 5 or 6-string bass. I said no and he suggested I at least try one out - he wasn't being a dick or anything and I must admit it's got me thinking. I've been playing for nearly 20 years now and a lot of bassists I like play 5 or 6-string basses (Matt Garrison, Evan Marien, Scott Devine, Christian McBride, John Patitucci, etc., etc.) but I've alway gone with the theory of "if 4 was enough for Jaco, 4 is certainly enough for me".

Anyway - I'd be very interested to get other bassist's views and experiences on this?

For those experienced with 5 and/or 6-string basses would you stick with a 4 in hindsight? Or, would you never go back to a 4 now?

How easy or hard is it to switch?

Would you go to a 5-string first, then to 6? Stick with a 5? Or go straight to a 6 maybe bypassing a 5? etc., etc.

Edited by thebassist

It's always worth trying out more strings whether you decide you like it or not. You can get some real quality instruments at great prices these days!

I went straight from a 4 to a 6, and got a 5 years later. it's a completely different feel for me, and gives a few more options... As well as making many aspects of playing easier because you don't have to move your fretting hand as much. it's not all that hard to get used to but it took me a while to stop hitting the wrong strings :lol:

I still play a 4 string all the time when I play stuff that doesn't require the extra range

Edited by chrismuzz

I'm puzzled when people say they don't use the low B.

The low B opens the bass up, you can play all the low notes normally on the E string, F, F sharp, G etc on the B string from the 6th fret up. Making playing in higher positions on the other strings easier, 'cos you don't need to move about so much,

I tend to do most of my playing around the 5th fret, playing a low F, 6th fret B string with my first finger I can easily reach a high A at the 9th fret on the C string.

Don't buy a 5 string or a 6 string and then play it the same way you would a 4 string, you're totally missing the point of it, 'cos it's not just about the extra notes :D .

Guest FretNoMore

I play 5-string basses exclusively since many years (except for the electric upright which is a 4 string). To me it was instantly comfortable. A 4 string neck feels very narrow now, I hit the wrong strings and I miss the added low notes as well as the options of going across the neck to grab notes that would be less convenient on a four string. I don't have much need for chord or solo playing so BEADG is my choice. A 6 string bass is tempting, but realistically I know I will probably just get a high C that I will not use much and a less comfortable, wider neck.

Edited by FretNoMore

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1389533585' post='2335141']
I'm puzzled when people say they don't use the low B.

The low B opens the bass up, you can play all the low notes normally on the E string, F, F sharp, G etc on the B string from the 6th fret up. Making playing in higher positions on the other strings easier, 'cos you don't need to move about so much,

I tend to do most of my playing around the 5th fret, playing a low F, 6th fret B string with my first finger I can easily reach a high A at the 9th fret on the C string.

Don't buy a 5 string or a 6 string and then play it the same way you would a 4 string, you're totally missing the point of it, 'cos it's not just about the extra notes :D .
[/quote]
What he said!

Depends what your jazz fusion is.

Freddie Washington is playing a 4 string bass with the Crusaders.

If you need to go low then a 5 string is required and if you also solo a lot a 6 string will give you more options.

[i]It's all about options.[/i] On some numbers I don't even play the E string let alone the B and if I'm playing the B string it's often above the 5th fret.

The low notes sound great when they're needed. I'm currently learning some original numbers and the bass player in the band has to play the D higher. I play it low and, for me anyway, the number sounds much better. The band plays a number in D and the leader makes the regular bassist detune to D after hearing me play it on my 5 string.

In your band a 5 string might be the right tool for the job.

Edited by chris_b

Guest FretNoMore

You can also sometimes play the same bass line but on thicker strings higher up on the neck, which gives you a different sound. I sometimes do this if I want a less high-end sound, can fit some blues songs nicely for instance.

Edited by FretNoMore

I guess whether you go with 4,5 or 6 depends a lot on what you want to play and how you want your bass tone to be.
One viewpoint from one of my bass influences which i guess is biassed towards his needs for reggae but it is interesting about his view on tone in respect to 6 stringers.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9erbL9j3v5M[/media]

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1389539042' post='2335234']
Did you have to replace the nut so that the slots were the right width?
[/quote]

You can sometimes just fill a bit of the existing nut with a tiny spot of superglue, that what I've done in the past.

If you like soloing then absolutely, a 6 will suit your needs. I agree with what's been said so far, I have been playing a 5 for 15 years now and I love it, especially for pop - rock - soul, anything really. I do play my 4 string about 30-40% of the gigs when the context is right and I need more of authenticity than a low B but generally I use the 5th string a lot - and I love it. Been playing my 5 in my jazz fusion band with no problem but then I am not much into soloing, I prefer sitting at the bottom lol...

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1389539214' post='2335237']
You can sometimes just fill a bit of the existing nut with a tiny spot of superglue, that what I've done in the past.
[/quote]

I was thinking of doing this (E-C tuning) on my Rockbass, and basically I don't want to fiddle with the just-a-nut.

(Apologies if this is a bit OT for the thread).

Return to the thread itself, I'm taking my first steps to learn two handed tapping. And I'm really finding that more than four strings is an advantage.

Edited by Annoying Twit

recently got a 5 to open up some ideas in my metal band totally dif music i realise but my ideas behind it are based on wanting more notes and also a deeper sound on others.

ie i tune lower than most on my 4 A-D-G-C and on the 5 i have it tuned for our drop c songs but C-D-G-C-F still getting used to the feel and not going for the wrong string but i like the feel of the five its just getting used to it.

andy

Depends what type of music I'm playing... I feel most comfortable on 6 strings. Having said that I've got an audition for a folky type band tomorrow and the 4 string jazz will be coming with me as I feel the sound will suit the music better...

Mind you when my 6 string Wal arrives I intend to be using that exclusively...

In my current band, I don't solo and I find that notes below E sound inappropriate (having tried it). So currently my four string horses suit that particular course.

When I was in a metal covers band a couple of years ago, the low B string was indispensible.

I feel more comfortable on four stringed instruments, but some of that could be that I have never invested in a good quality fiver - so the fours just feel "better" as well as more comfortable.

Every so often a look at a nice five string in the for sale section (it is a Hamer Cruise just now!) and think "I'll just have one more crack at getting used to a fiver...") :gas:

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1389531221' post='2335105']
For those experienced with 5 and/or 6-string basses would you stick with a 4 in hindsight? Or, would you never go back to a 4 now?

How easy or hard is it to switch?

Would you go to a 5-string first, then to 6? Stick with a 5? Or go straight to a 6 maybe bypassing a 5? etc., etc.
[/quote]

To hopefully add to the good ponts made above here's my 10p worth :rolleyes:
I made the jump to 5 string about 15+ years ago and have not felt the need to move back to a 4. I have picked 4's up and had a noodle but it just doesnt feel right anymore. Like others have said its not all about the extra low notes, it can be different tone, ease of playing a riff, full length thumb rest :P etc

How hard it is to switch? I think it can be dependent upon what your left hand technique is currently ie: if you play a 4 with your thumb either over the top of the neck or "in line" with the neck then you may struggle to reach and place your fingers correctly. If so, a change to positioning your thumb in the centre of the neck, pointing "across" it will ease things. It may take a while to get comfortable with, but it's worth working on.

A 5 or a 6? Depends on what you want to do. 6 gives you lots of options. I played a 6 exclusively for 5 years but went back to 5 as I am more comfortable on a 5, didn't use the C much etc. I found it harder to move from a 4 to a 5 (extra B) than from the 5 to the 6 - might have been the E string point of reference that initially threw me off.

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1389603795' post='2335893']
I found it harder to move from a 4 to a 5 (extra B) than from the 5 to the 6 - might have been the E string point of reference that initially threw me off.
[/quote]

That's what I thought when trying a six-string briefly too; the extra C when coming from five string is not as difficult to get used to. Maybe there will be some problems damping that string.

It is always worth trying different things.

I play 4 & 5 string basses and have done since the 80's. The 5 string really opens things up for me as my band transposes most of the covers that we play to suit the vocalists range. For this reason if I only used 4 string I would end up losing a lot of the low end. In this way the instrument effectively becomes a tool of the trade.

I did play a 6 string for a couple of years...but it just didn't work for me. I never used the higher range much in a band context. It's horses for courses.

Music is art...there are no rules. Some of the greatest exponents of fusion bass have played 4 string (Jaco, Jeff Berlin, Ralphe Armstrong, Stan Clarke etc) - don't feel that you "have" to play extended range basses if it doesn't work for you and the way that you want to play.

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1389603795' post='2335893']
To hopefully add to the good ponts made above here's my 10p worth :rolleyes:
I made the jump to 5 string about 15+ years ago and have not felt the need to move back to a 4. I have picked 4's up and had a noodle but it just doesnt feel right anymore. Like others have said its not all about the extra low notes, it can be different tone, ease of playing a riff, full length thumb rest :P etc

How hard it is to switch? I think it can be dependent upon what your left hand technique is currently ie: if you play a 4 with your thumb either over the top of the neck or "in line" with the neck then you may struggle to reach and place your fingers correctly. If so, a change to positioning your thumb in the centre of the neck, pointing "across" it will ease things. It may take a while to get comfortable with, but it's worth working on.

A 5 or a 6? Depends on what you want to do. 6 gives you lots of options. I played a 6 exclusively for 5 years but went back to 5 as I am more comfortable on a 5, didn't use the C much etc. I found it harder to move from a 4 to a 5 (extra B) than from the 5 to the 6 - might have been the E string point of reference that initially threw me off.
[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your views. Very interesting indeed. And I see you've got a Fender FMT Jazz V. I had the IV version of that - wish I hadn't sold it!