Why become a member? ×

Your ideal cab?

Phil Starr

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1389629704' post='2336295']
I've been trying to find a small cab with enough gigging power that I can lift up 6 flights of stairs after a gig. My budget has landed me with a 4ohm 1x12 Eden, but in the shared rehearsal room is a Barefaced Midget. I lifted it and it felt around half the weight of my own. Unfortunately I can't get permission to have a play through it.
Would be curious to know if they come in 4 + 8 ohm versions
[/quote]
The Midget uses an 8 ohm driver which isn't available as a 4 ohm version. The difference in volume between using 4 or 8 ohm driver isn't huge though - in fact it's really rather small.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1389637164' post='2336408']
I have yet to see a cab with a rotating driver so you can angle it up a bit for home practice/rehearsal then fire it forward again for stage time...sheesht I should apply for a patent on that!
[/quote]

Haven't you just invented a much more complicated way of doing what's already possible with a "kickback" style amp? :P

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1389637164' post='2336408']
I have yet to see a cab with a rotating driver so you can angle it up a bit for home practice/rehearsal then fire it forward again for stage time...sheesht I should apply for a patent on that!
[/quote]
[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1389649003' post='2336626']
Haven't you just invented a much more complicated way of doing what's already possible with a "kickback" style amp? :P
[/quote]

Or you could go with a Vox-style swivel stand. :)

[quote name='cattytown' timestamp='1389649316' post='2336634']
I thought the idea was DIY plans? All these comments about angled baffles will not fit comfortably with that. Bear in mind that once you start angling things, the complexity of cutting increases quite a bit, especially if you need a cab to be airtight.
[/quote]

True - though Bill Fitzmaurice's Jack 12 cabs have angled cuts for the front horn/mouth panels and they're not that tricky.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1389628783' post='2336280']
We're talking about a number of drivers for all the designs, There's the Fane 8-225 and Precision Devices do a lovely 8 with great extension at the sacrifice of sensitivity. the trick is going to be to home in on th best drivers in their class
[/quote]

I had a look at the [url="http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/8P300FeE.pdf"]Beyma 8P300[/url], do you have any thoughts on that for a compact bass cab?

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1389649952' post='2336649']
I had a look at the [url="http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/8P300FeE.pdf"]Beyma 8P300[/url], do you have any thoughts on that for a compact bass cab?
[/quote]

It looks like a really nice driver. By the way, I've already plugged in my prototype mini-8 and it sounds surprisingly good. Lots of work still needed, of course.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1389649003' post='2336626']

Have you seen some of the crazy ideas you get patents granted for?! Besides....kick backs have a tendency to roll around the car when you drive fast!
[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1389437504' post='2334097']
Excellent idea. My favorite cab ' tone' comes from the Aguilar DB212/DB112. If you can get close to that tone in a lighter smaller box it would be amazing!
[/quote]

Ditto, but make it a 412!

Portable, light, transparent and efficient, good parts that are easily source able from the UK/EU etc., nice design features like silver cloth and different vinyl, full range, no scoops or bumps, decent tweeter and drivers on all speakers.

Pretty much as everyone has said!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1389651927' post='2336681']
It looks like a really nice driver. By the way, I've already plugged in my prototype mini-8 and it sounds surprisingly good. Lots of work still needed, of course.
[/quote] this thread was halfway down the first page... any ideas what you lot have decided to design? :)

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1389816690' post='2338316']
Having a horizontal top to your cab so an amp sits on it without sliding makes more sense than a "kickback" style amp, where you can't sit your amp on top. So, a normal shaped cab but the speaker angles up slightly so you hear it better.
[/quote]

Maybe it would be easier to have an amp board that folds up to the horizontal when the cab is in kickback position?

OK, update time.

We have decided to go for a 1x12 as a first project, a 50l cab, 300W@8ohms, should be capable of producing 120dB@1m across most of its frequency range and hence capable of keeping up with an unmic'ed drum kit. It should be a comfortable one handed carry for most of you. The current design is going to be fairly neutral sounding and should have good control of the lowest frequencies.

The design has reached the stage of moving to build a prototype and we have a list of drivers to audition. We are currently looking at the port design and there is some debate about the significance of wind noise (chuffing) in the ports versus the ease of build and overall size and shape. We will resolve this by tests on the prototype as well as deciding on the final choice of driver by auditioning a number of drivers.

At the moment we think it should be possible to build a high quality 1x12 for around £150.

I'm going to start another thread to talk anyone who is interested through the design process, once I catch up it will develop as we do.