Why become a member? ×

How new is new?

Alfie

When buying a new car you go for a test drive and place an order for a genuine factory-new vehicle. When I have bought a bass from a shop I have always bought the bass I have played, because of the variety between instruments. Am I in reality buying a display model, rather than a new product?

You might not think it is an important distinction, but I like the idea that bass is mine, not that it had been on display for weeks or months, played by a few dozen people.

Has anyone ever tried a bass and then bought one from the extra stock, rather than the one they played?

Like you said every instrument is different, so I would always buy the one I try. If a shop has more than one in stock it will most likely try to give you the one still in a box, because the "display" model has most likely been set up to some degree. However most shops won't have more than one of any bass in stock, basses just don't sell quickly enough and it's more beneficial to have a variety of stock rather than multiples of one type or colour. You can ask to have a new one ordered, but that will take time, and again you are getting an unknown instrument, which won't be set up. If it were me (it never has been, I've never bought a new bass) I would enquire about ordering a new new one, then ask about a possible discount, or free bag/lead/tuner if I buy the "display" model.

I would never buy a new factory made instrument I hadn't played, and where possible I buy from local shops. I don't think there's a way to avoid buying a display model.

I'm sure plenty of people have gone into a shop and then bought online.

It doesn't bother me at all, as long as the condition is still what I'd describe as good. Swirls in the paint which you need to hold to the light to see don't worry me. Although Musicman20 would probably agree with you. ;)

If it is a standard production model, I always ask for a brand new, virgin example. That is unless there is some special reason or incentive to buy the one on display. Whether you are buying a new model or what is in effect a display model depends on a number of factors and each individual case is different. Especially with high-end boutique basses for sale in some U.K retail shops , a significant proportion of them are more ex - display models than you might think ( or the retailer would like to openly advertise) in so much as they have been on display not only in the shop but also at various trade shows, after which they are sold by the manufacturers or importers to retailers at a discount.

I'm not averse to buying a bass that's been out on display, but if the shop has another boxed I'll get them to fetch it out so I can choose the one I want, the logic being that if they're going to keep one on display then they'll be getting the other out anyway and if I'm buying one, I'll want the box and packing to take it home. When I special-order an instrument that's not in stock, I go one further and make a condition of the order that I want it left unopened as it arrived. They're taking my money for the easiest sale of the day, so have always been willing to pander to my odd requests.

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1389380267' post='2333710']
When buying a new car you go for a test drive and place an order for a genuine factory-new vehicle. When I have bought a bass from a shop I have always bought the bass I have played, because of the variety between instruments. Am I in reality buying a display model, rather than a new product?
[/quote]
What about if you have a custom built bass? It may be built exclusively for you but the luthier who made it has certainly played it before handing it over to you.

I agree with you and some of these 'new' basses on display have been around for some time - like years in some cases - strangely the price also fluctuates as RRP shifts!

I've bought three new Musicman basses - one was from distributor stock - the other two were ordered by the dealer from the factory - this was because no one had the colour I wanted.

However it's not easy to get a distributor to order one for you - some are more keen on selling stock items - I would expect a discount on these.

I have seen all sorts of ruses to get you to buy a stock item - I well recall going to music shops in Denmark street as my son wanted to try leftie Fender guitars - particularly teles. One shop had one but it was in a wierd colour and he wanted a sunburst - he was told he should buy one as soon as possible because Fender had discontinued them!!!!!

Needless to say he bought the one he wanted on line a couple of months later - and they hadn't been discontinued - although the strange shade of green on the one in Denmark Street had! The shop has changed hands so is not there any longer.

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1389380267' post='2333710']
Has anyone ever tried a bass and then bought one from the extra stock, rather than the one they played?
[/quote]

Never, and I never would. No two instruments are exactly alike. If you like the display model you tried, that's no guarantee for the one from the extra stock. It may be lighter, heavier, the quality of the finish or the fretting may not be as nice, the wood may not be as pretty, or whatever other reason you can come up with why the instrument may differ from a similar one and might be less good (or the other way round of course!). And if I really wanted a brand new, untouched instrument, I would make damn sure I could try the one from the extra stock too before I took it home :)