Why become a member? ×

More work on Matilda

ShergoldSnickers

I've booked my 5-stringer DB in for some work, namely:

Quality adjustable bridge
Carbon composite tailpiece
Fingerboard reshaping or replacement if reshaping would thin it out too much.

The adjustable bridge is to allow me to experiment with the action, and get a good balance between ease of playing and sound.
The tailpiece already fitted is a bit of a heavyweight apparently, and the bass would benefit from a lightweight one. So I'm told anyway, and I've no reason to question this.
The fingerboard is set up for someone very much into arco, and I could do with the profile flattening off a little.

As usual, I'm off to the Beverly Music Centre and leaving Matilda under the craftsmanship of Peter Hall. Full report on completion, and barring any financial emergencies prior to dropping her off.

An adjustable bridge is a good idea. The set up of the fingerboard needs to take account of the big vibration path of the low B and quite often the fingerboard is asymmetrical and thinner on that side than on the G string side - the bridge will help and stop buzzing.

All the best with it and look forward to some photos!

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1389309124' post='2332822']
I had a carbon fibre tail piece added to my bass and it made a big difference.

Steve
[/quote]

Hi Steve — Peter said it would make a real difference, so I'm happy to go along with that. As ubassman says, the fingerboard is profiled to allow for the larger amplitude of the low B, and has a flatter section under the B, that has been planed away from the radius to allow this extra room. It's this radius before the flattened section that is a bit too rounded, and it's a question of whether there is enough meat there to ease it out.

It might all be academic as I've just had the motor back from the MoT. Needs a bit of work. :( . Counting the pennies now. :rolleyes:

I think the fingerboard is original to the build, and it was intended as a 5 string from the outset. There is just too much of an acute radius on the G to E part really. The B fits in well with this if that's the radius you want. It needs to be a little flatter for me. I think this DB has been used orchestrally rather than for jazz or anything else non-classical.

It all sounds like work worth doing, but I'm sorry to hear the dreaded MOT has scuppered things. Fingers crossed you will get them done soon as I think a good set up can transform an instrument and how much you enjoy playing it. My bass is pretty basic, but it has been completely rebuilt since I bought it, including a neck graft and after years of tweaking by Martyn Bailey the set up is superb.