Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

jgmh315

Just to comment on the size thing - I went to PMT in brum a couple of months ago - big store, but only a small fraction of it allocated to bass gear. Lots of Fenders, Ibbys and one decent Spector from what I remember, and mountains of Ashdown amps and Orange/Fender/Aguilar stuff..

In terms of bass stuff, Bassdirect has much more gear than PMT.. I've said before I've had an early run in with Mark, but since then he's been great with me.. He price matches when needed and he's only 15 minutes away.. I suggest perseverance..

I tried BD again a few weeks back, looking at Spectors. They do have an impressive range for a small shop, but seemed unaware of where some of their stock was (possibly upstairs, but unavailable to try out, apparently). I got enough of a feel of a Spector to know that I love the sound but dislike the neck profile, so 'GAS extinguished'. I just think that Marcus (if that is who the blond guy is), is rather awkward and probably shouldn't be in sales. The lad they had in that day was fine. It was all a bit 'too cool for school' though, which at my age, I find a bit embarrassing. PMT are more professional in the sales department, but their stock of basses at the Nottingham store is lousy and shows little sign of improving. Even their range of Fenders is pretty imbalanced (loads of Jazzes, not much else). I rarely bother going in on spec any more. Maybe there just aren't that many bass players out there?

Went in there for the first time last week- totally agree with the too cool for school analogy and I didn't try a single thing, couldn't get out there fast enough. Bought a bass off Drew at the Manchester Bass lounge a month ago, struggled to put the phone down even after he had my money.

Personally, I have always found Marcus to be very helpful. I think the point is that Bass Direct caters to a specific niche and is not aimed at entry level or people looking for standard Ashdown type gear (not that there is necessarily anything wrong with those products). None of the staff are in any way ‘professional’ salesmen, which for me is one of the best things about the shop – it means that they are honest and not just after a quick sale. Mark once advised me against buying a cab from him because he said another one I had been offered suited my needs better (he was right).

I have bought a load of gear from BD, used them to sell a few basses on commission and even occasionally just rung up to ask for advice. As far as I’m concerned, the service has always been great and there they have told me any nonsense just to try and get a sale, unlike many other music shops I have been to.

Someone has just mentioned a certain rival emporium – the guy who runs that maybe friendly and enthusiastic but his knowledge is nowhere near the level of Mark or Marcus at BD and he is very definitely a salesman. So, who would you rather trust??

I'm amazed someone would travel 140 miles without being sure what they were going to buy was in stock.

I like them, I've bought lots off them, had a couple of problems but these have always been very swiftly and professionally sorted out.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1492170311' post='3278444']
each to his own.. But then he's local to me, and not to you, so perhaps we have a different viewpoint...
[/quote]

What I meant was, I don't want to have to persevere with a business, nowt to do with location/distance. Also not aimed at BD, just a general observation.

- Do your research
- Go with a specific objective in mind
- Mark and the team have always been ready to set-up a 'shoot-out' of what I'm looking for, and the best alternatives.

Have gone away with either a purchase or confident non-purchase - both good results.

BD not good for 'no idea' and 'no budget' browsers. They're not there to entertain!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1492181357' post='3278530']
I'm amazed someone would travel 140 miles without being sure what they were going to buy was in stock.

I like them, I've bought lots off them, had a couple of problems but these have always been very swiftly and professionally sorted out.
[/quote]

I didn't just go purely to buy it. I went for a few other bits too. In which the gig bag was listed on the website as "in stock" before I got there.

Obviously they've updated it since.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1492181873' post='3278537']
Driving 140 miles when the site says "Out of Stock"

Mmmmm.

I won't even make a special trip to the PMT in my own town without calling first - even if the site says it is in stock. Even the big guys struggle to properly display real time stock levels.
[/quote]

Jesus Christ, get the picture and listen dammit!!!!

When I checked it was listed as "IN STOCK".

Got there and asked, they've updated it since.

So, No. I didn't travel 140 miles without checking whether it was in stock. The website listed as "IN STOCK" doesn't mean "OUT OF STOCK" to me.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1492169189' post='3278429']
Rang three times, no answer, drove 140 miles anyway, seems sensible.

:lol:
[/quote]

Maybe some people like to drive, aswell as the fact that I wasn't just going to purchase the bag. I wanted to browse at BD overpriced gear. :)

[quote name='ChazzJEUK' timestamp='1492165799' post='3278388']
Just travelled 140 miles to purchase a Spector gig bag listed on Bass Directs website. Got there only to be told very rudely "not had them in 3 months"

So why are they available to purchase via the website. I stood awkwardly while Marcus & assistant tit tattled about when one was last sold like children.

Frankly Marcus seems like a very spoilt, downright rude person who has no people skills, no idea how to treat customers and has no idea how to run a business or a website.

I highly recommend taking your money elsewhere, especially if you're looking to buy a new instrument.

The Gallery in Camden or Bass Gear are both very friendly and will offer you a brew and a chat. Marcus will offer nothing but awkward silences and rude remarks.
[/quote]

So the first bit of this wasn't really accurate then?

Giving the impression of an entirely wasted trip because of the bag, when in fact you went looking for other stuff too.

Either it was a wasted trip or it wasn't. Can't be both.

Agreed that Marcus has no people skills, but I find Mark to be great.

Top service whether I've bought a bag or a whole new rig.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1492211818' post='3278778']

So the first bit of this wasn't really accurate then?

Giving the impression of an entirely wasted trip because of the bag, when in fact you went looking for other stuff too.

Either it was a wasted trip or it wasn't. Can't be both.

Agreed that Marcus has no people skills, but I find Mark to be great.

Top service whether I've bought a bag or a whole new rig.
[/quote]

Was a wasted trip because I went to buy a gig bag that was listed as "In stock" to then come away empty handed. Either way I'm not one to say "it's a wasted trip" me and the Mrs had a nice Starbucks 😂

Edited by ChazzJEUK

I really like Bass Direct's site. They easily have the best stock in the country and seem like a much more contemporary store than something like the Gallery (which suffers from wild London pricing).

I haven't been to Bass Direct, but I did buy my used Ibanez SR3006ESOL from them. Now, that was an instrument I'd wanted since 2001 or 2002 when I saw it in the back of the Ibanez catalogue. They're vanishingly rare in the UK, so when I saw it I knew I had to grab it.

It was fairly priced, but I would have payed more for it to come with some fresh strings. Bass Direct is supposed to be premium, best of the best type stuff. The strings on this bass were f***ing crap. If they'd told me about that on the phone I'd have asked for a new set, and paid if they refused!

If you look at somewhere like Cubo Moto, for instance, whether you trade your motorbike in or hand it over for SOR, they have it professionally detailed so that it's as good looking as the rest of their stock. It sets the tone and the brand image and gives the new buyer the thrill of seeing their new toy looking mint. Bass Direct shouldn't have let this bass go with awful strings on.

Minor gripe aside, I would buy from them again.

I would never expect to be offered a cup of tea in a shop, any shop (tea shops excepted). You might get one downstairs at the gallery, but it's a workshop with an entirely different vibe. BD don't let you take the basses down off the wall and this is for the gain of the ultimate buyer.. That's you and me folks! So they're not about to risk hot liquids being spilt on them.
There's a caff nearby if you want a brew.
As for personal discussion on individual members of staff, I've found Marcus to be helpful and enthusiastic, but then I engage with people, what you give you get back.
I think we've had a balanced view of BD staff members from both sides and I'm asking at this point that we stop being personal at this point, otherwise sanctions will be applied.

Just remember, the reason BD gets under the microscope so much is it is one of the very few shops that does what they do. If I go to GAK and buy some strings and the counter hipster is clueless, it doesn't really bother me too much. Perhaps a sense of proportion is needed.

In this day and age "In stock" does not necessarily mean it is actually in the store, many shops will post the item out either direct from their supplier or have a warehouse possibly miles away and possibly not open at weekends, I know this first hand regarding Fairdeal music 15 years ago as I did some work in the warehouse, it was open 8-5 mon to friday.

To the OP... I know Mark cares passionately about his business and his customers and spends a lot of time trying to get things right.

Like any business, improvement can only be gained by customers offering feedback - whether positive or otherwise - in the correct/most helpful way, so as well as flagging challenges on here why not drop the shop a line and offer feedback regarding your experience?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1492241146' post='3278834']
I would never expect to be offered a cup of tea in a shop, any shop (tea shops excepted). You might get one downstairs at the gallery, but it's a workshop with an entirely different vibe. BD don't let you take the basses down off the wall and this is for the gain of the ultimate buyer.. That's you and me folks! So they're not about to risk hot liquids being spilt on them.
There's a caff nearby if you want a brew.
As for personal discussion on individual members of staff, I've found Marcus to be helpful and enthusiastic, but then I engage with people, what you give you get back.
I think we've had a balanced view of BD staff members from both sides and I'm asking at this point that we stop being personal at this point, otherwise sanctions will be applied.

Just remember, the reason BD gets under the microscope so much is it is one of the very few shops that does what they do. If I go to GAK and buy some strings and the counter hipster is clueless, it doesn't really bother me too much. Perhaps a sense of proportion is needed.
[/quote]not really sure if I have read your posts correctly and apologise if I have the wrong end of the stick but I thought people were airing how they personally find the shop and staff but it seems if some one says something negative you want to sanction them? I don't see anyone being on a personal attack just saying how they found it themselves and I don't know BD well enough to make comments on the shop I have met a few of the staff at times and was not really impressed but that may be down to me and as for cups of tea and coffee in the shop I agree it is a no no

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1492253824' post='3278987']
I think you have misread it. Personal opinion of a business enterprise is one thing, but it's getting a little edgy where named individuals are being highlighted. I think that's what Mr.Apple is driving at. I may be wrong.

If BD was as bad as some people are making out, they certainly wouldn't still be in business and I think they're doing alright.
[/quote]I think I get ya :) my point was kinda yes X is a great shop but Y who works there is really rude if that makes sense? I think it is OK for someone to say that if it really there experience other threads along the same lines exist but yeah personal attacking is not OK