Why become a member? Read more... ×
jgmh315

Bass Direct

6 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Yes you did!

Ay caramba! 'No' to the need to spend gazillions on gear, and 'Yes,' I'm sure about that! :crazy:

Writing just 'no' and 'yes' in each post leaves you wide open to constructive (or destructive!) misinterpretation if anyone was so inclined ;)

31 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Writing just 'no' and 'yes' in each post leaves you wide open to constructive (or destructive!) misinterpretation if anyone was so inclined ;)

Yes!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

No..! :shok:

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, oldbass said:

I've been to a number of big gigs/festivals recently with bassists playing all manner of different instruments.....and guess what..they all sounded the same...boom mush boom.

That's because the sound engineers at big festivals take the bass pre-EQ and just use the desk to give a straight bass sound, rather than the one you have spent time making your own..... :(
To many of them "bass is bass"....

37 minutes ago, cetera said:

That's because the sound engineers at big festivals take the bass pre-EQ and just use the desk to give a straight bass sound, rather than the one you have spent time making your own..... :(
To many of them "bass is bass"....

That`s why I always connect the DI cable to my Sansamp - a straight bass sound would  decimate the sound of our band, much the same way as getting the guitarist to play his Les Paul with no gain.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

That`s why I always connect the DI cable to my Sansamp - a straight bass sound would  decimate the sound of our band, much the same way as getting the guitarist to play his Les Paul with no gain.

I've been known to press the 'Post EQ' button after he's plugged it into my amp ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep, I've commented before about the appalling quality of a lot of big festival/gig bass; it's invariably mush...or at least it has been at the last few I've been to. The two methods above are a step towards a better sound out front, but then the sound engineer will probably make a balls of it anyway...he'll just have to try a bit harder... 😏

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

this and/or the di out the front of the hartke - they 'assume' it is clean/pre but are blissfully unaware of the pre/post button on the back  :)

• Like 1

I make it easy for everyone by simply having a rig that allows no access to the signal path until it is post everything.

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I make it easy for everyone by simply having a rig that allows no access to the signal path until it is post everything.

Unless they ask you to plug into the house DI box first to get 'a good clean sound'!

That's why my MXR M80 DI is so handy - really good clean DI with EQ that actually makes a difference. I normally plug into that and get the sound man to use that DI instead. 

3 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

That's why my MXR M80 DI is so handy - really good clean DI with EQ that actually makes a difference. 

The clean sound on the M80 is lush. Wish I hadn't sold mine.