Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

jgmh315

[quote name='GisserD' timestamp='1502277742' post='3350387']
i visited a few months ago. When i arrived it was just Marcus and I was playing a fretless MTD that i fully intended to buy. Mark turned up to the shop 15 minutes later and asked everybody in the shop whos the car was parked outside. when i told him it was mine, he asked me to move it as there were no more spaces close-by. i think he had something heavy to bring into the store.

seriously, do you really ask a customer to leave the store so you can park your car?

i told him that i would be leaving in 5 minutes if he could wait that long? i sat stewing on it feeling uncomfortable, and left in plenty of time.

not only did he loose a sale, but probably my custom for good.
[/quote]

So he asked you to move your car?

Whilst I agree that good service is important, I think we need to recognise that Mark and Marcus are only human, as such there will be the odd mistake made. It's how they deal with those that's important, and on the whole I think reading these posts, they seem to deal with them extremely well.

I can't help thinking reading through this, that there are some extremely fussy people about though.

:)

I was toying with the idea of buying a used lightweight Markbass 1x12 cab from BD recently.

I phoned the shop & to enquire if it was still available & Mark answered the phone. The cab was still for sale.

When Mark learned I was thinking of using the Markbass to replace my Berg, he pretty much said don't do it.

The Markbass is indeed a great cab he said - in car parlance, a 'Mercedes', but I already owned a 'Rolls Royce' so why change?

Great advice given at the cost of a sale - can't say fairer than that can you?

Wilco, I would say you were given some very good advice.

If I was asked to move my car because it was blocking someone or something. . . I'd move it!

Why would that be such a problem? Why would you try to make something out of it on the internet?

??

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502286591' post='3350468']

If I was asked to move my car because it was blocking someone or something. . . I'd move it!

Why would that be such a problem? Why would you try to make something out of it on the internet?

??
[/quote]

Well its a question of where you would move it to. BD has a small car-park shared with some other units. My experience of the place is that it's basically gridlock during the week (vehicles on grass verges, delivery trucks blocking the narrow roads etc). Moving beyond the shop's slots means leaving. Asking a customer to move out of the customer parking doesn't seem like much of a business strategy.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1502289222' post='3350487']

Well its a question of where you would move it to. BD has a small car-park shared with some other units. My experience of the place is that it's basically gridlock during the week (vehicles on grass verges, delivery trucks blocking the narrow roads etc). Moving beyond the shop's slots means leaving. Asking a customer to move out of the customer parking doesn't seem like much of a business strategy.
[/quote]
+1
Especially when that customer is likely to drop a large wedge on a new bass.
Totally unacceptable,if I did that to a customer here I'd get a proper bollocking.
It's just bad manners

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1502279443' post='3350408']
So he asked you to move your car?
[/quote]

yes

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502286591' post='3350468']

??
[/quote]

not trying to make anything. im simply sharing my experience of the place that has led me to stop shopping there. I thaught that was one of the purposes of Forums? sharing experiences?

i wasn't blocking anything. he just felt his need for the last remaining space was greater than mine.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1502280064' post='3350414']
Whilst I agree that good service is important, I think we need to recognise that Mark and Marcus are only human, as such there will be the odd mistake made. It's how they deal with those that's important, and on the whole I think reading these posts, they seem to deal with them extremely well.

I can't help thinking reading through this, that there are some extremely fussy people about though.

[/quote]

[quote name='handman' timestamp='1502304570' post='3350598']
Do you work there
[/quote]

Me?

No, my outlook on the world is maybe a little different to most others though. It really wouldn't worry me if the silk wrappings on my strings were different colours and clashed with the tuners for instance.

I've been playing professionally for years, but I don't own a bass shop or any other kind of music shop. so if I go there and want to buy X, and Mark says, well maybe try Y instead, then I'd listen to him and respect his knowledge, it's his job, he has experience of a vast amount of different instruments and equipment. I wouldn't come on here and make comments about him because he'd suggested something different and probably better suited than what I thought I'd originally wanted.

If Marcus puts a smiley at the end of an email, then I smile, it's not a reason to be annoyed.

I've only ever had good experience both from Mark and the other guys in there. Sure, Mark always takes the mickey out of me for predominantly using Fenders, as he insists (no doubt correctly) that there are better options, but we have a joke about it, and it's only lighthearted.

Many's the time I've sat in the shop, played a big selection of different basses, and bought nothing. I've never felt pressure to purchase in there - often I've been the only person in the shop and Mark's said "I'll be in the office, give me a shout if you need anything".

As with everyone else, I can only comment on my own experiences, but it's only ever been positive for me.

[quote name='Wilco' timestamp='1502284870' post='3350463']
I was toying with the idea of buying a used lightweight Markbass 1x12 cab from BD recently.

I phoned the shop & to enquire if it was still available & Mark answered the phone. The cab was still for sale.

When Mark learned I was thinking of using the Markbass to replace my Berg, he pretty much said don't do it.

The Markbass is indeed a great cab he said - in car parlance, a 'Mercedes', but I already owned a 'Rolls Royce' so why change?

Great advice given at the cost of a sale - can't say fairer than that can you?
[/quote]

I had a similar experience I had a a couple of Genz Benz cabs and a shuttle, I phoned the store a number of times to enquire about chopping them in for some fairly expensive Markbass gear, they kept talking me out of it and losing business, they advised I was going in the wrong direction and should stick with it, I was grateful for the advise, eventually I caved and sold all my stuff and bought the markbass I wanted.... unfortunately they were wrong this time and I love my new gear it smashes the old stuff

Edited by Hamstar8

• 4 weeks later...

I've only ever had good advice from Mark over past few yrs. Can't fault Bass Direct apart from the fact its too far away from me otherwise i'd be skint all the time.
Another big plus is his postage as he certainly knows how to protect gear for postage and very quick delivery too.

Think i need another trip down South soon.
Mmmmmm

Dave

Never been there, bought my first Lull through BD, which was pretty smooth.

I have a custom Lull on order; I've supplied fills specs, photos etc...I covered the specifics of the order with them, paid a 25% deposit, but they didn't confirm the specification for ages and when they did it was pretty much all wrong. I honestly nearly sh*t myself.

I did contact Lull direct and they confirmed they're building what I want BUT if there's anything wrong/incorrect, it's going back. I mean, I'm paying nearly £4.5k...I really would have expected better comms, especially as it's a custom build. I'm still not going to be happy (or mad) until I pop the catches on the case.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1505068568' post='3369288']
Never been there, bought my first Lull through BD, which was pretty smooth.

I have a custom Lull on order; I've supplied fills specs, photos etc...I covered the specifics of the order with them, paid a 25% deposit, but they didn't confirm the specification for ages and when they did it was pretty much all wrong. I honestly nearly sh*t myself.

I did contact Lull direct and they confirmed they're building what I want BUT if there's anything wrong/incorrect, it's going back. I mean, I'm paying nearly £4.5k...I really would have expected better comms, especially as it's a custom build. I'm still not going to be happy (or mad) until I pop the catches on the case.
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to seeing your bass on here. £4.5k for a bass is quite a fair bit and must be pretty special. Sure it will all go well and you'll be more than happy with it.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1505115543' post='3369490']
I'm looking forward to seeing your bass on here. £4.5k for a bass is quite a fair bit and must be pretty special. Sure it will all go well and you'll be more than happy with it.

Dave
[/quote]

Dave
I've ordered the bass on the left below. 100% same spec. When the spec confirmation came through (weeks later), it was wrong...four string, vintage style scratchplate. Considering the money, it was all horribly vague.

Now I know what it's like operating a small business; Mark is probably drowning in emails from suppliers, sellers and buyers. The team there have always been very nice when I've needed to speak to them, but maybe it's time for them to take on someone to handle their admin! It doesn't matter whether the bass is £250 or £5,000 you have to know that what you're getting is what you expect to be getting. I'm almost tempted to contact Lull direct prior to shipping to ensure that what they despatch is 100% what I've ordered.

It feels awful, but I just have this nagging doubt that something won't be right. Anyhow, I ordered it in the first week of June, it should be here next month. Should.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1505121062' post='3369544']
Dave
I've ordered the bass on the left below. 100% same spec. When the spec confirmation came through (weeks later), it was wrong...four string, vintage style scratchplate. Considering the money, it was all horribly vague.

Now I know what it's like operating a small business; Mark is probably drowning in emails from suppliers, sellers and buyers. The team there have always been very nice when I've needed to speak to them, but maybe it's time for them to take on someone to handle their admin! It doesn't matter whether the bass is £250 or £5,000 you have to know that what you're getting is what you expect to be getting. I'm almost tempted to contact Lull direct prior to shipping to ensure that what they despatch is 100% what I've ordered.

It feels awful, but I just have this nagging doubt that something won't be right. Anyhow, I ordered it in the first week of June, it should be here next month. Should.
P

[/quote]

Its a nice looking bass and I don't know much about Lull basses but not sure i'd pay that kind of money for what seems a standard looking bass.
Are they that good ?
I was expecting exotic looking woods or fancy electronics to be honest.

Sorry if my response is a bit negative. You have obviously tried one and know how good they are.

Wishing you all the very best with it.

Dave

Edited by Rich
Quote edit

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1505122402' post='3369561']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Its a nice looking bass and I don't know much about Lull basses but not sure i'd pay that kind of money for what seems a standard looking bass.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Are they that good ?[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I'm intrigued too. What's the spec? Rare or exotic woods, or a complex construction? I'm not familiar with this model.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1505125580' post='3369580']
I'm intrigued too. What's the spec? Rare or exotic woods, or a complex construction? I'm not familiar with this model.
[/quote]

There's enough about Lull out there...Seattle based, high end builder, array of well known players. To be honest, they were never really on my radar until I saw the Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam) Thunderbird model (JAXT4); I'd been playing Gibson Thunderbirds for about a decade, but the Lull just took the design, made it bigger and bettered it. I'm a big bloke - the JAX has a body size 15-20% bigger than a regular Thunderbird - so it just looks normal on me. It oozes quality and plays like a dream.

I saw some photos of Steven Jay Wilson online and he was using the NRT (non-reverse Thunderbird) 5-string shown in the above. It's loosely based on the Gibson Non-Reverse Thunderbird, but again, the body is bigger. It was like someone threw a switch, so I put up the rest of my 'birds up for sale and put in an order.

Buildwise it's pretty standard stuff. Mahogany body and (Plek'd/graphite reinforced) mahogany neck...I've asked for an ebony board, but you know, if it comes with a mahogany board it's not a deal-breaker, the JAXT4 is nice enough...it's just looks aesthetically different. Pickups are Lull originals, Hipshot machines.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1505127174' post='3369597']
There's enough about Lull out there...Seattle based, high end builder, array of well known players. To be honest, they were never really on my radar until I saw the Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam) Thunderbird model (JAXT4); I'd been playing Gibson Thunderbirds for about a decade, but the Lull just took the design, made it bigger and bettered it. I'm a big bloke - the JAX has a body size 15-20% bigger than a regular Thunderbird - so it just looks normal on me. It oozes quality and plays like a dream.

I saw some photos of Steven Jay Wilson online and he was using the NRT (non-reverse Thunderbird) 5-string shown in the above. It's loosely based on the Gibson Non-Reverse Thunderbird, but again, the body is bigger. It was like someone threw a switch, so I put up the rest of my 'birds up for sale and put in an order.

Buildwise it's pretty standard stuff. Mahogany body and (Plek'd/graphite reinforced) mahogany neck...I've asked for an ebony board, but you know, if it comes with a mahogany board it's not a deal-breaker, the JAXT4 is nice enough...it's just looks aesthetically different. Pickups are Lull originals, Hipshot machines.
[/quote]

Thank you, yup familiar with Lull, wasn't sure what 'made' this one if that makes sense. Lots of dollar, so hopefully matches the price tag.