Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

jgmh315

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1477851459' post='3164839']

Thats not what "Stingray" said.
[/quote]

If you check their website, it tells you next to each item what's in stock and what isn't. It also says above the bass itinerary 'the basses listed below are physically in stock at bass direct'.

How was Bass Direct in the end?

I love it in there

They are opinionated, that is true.

They are dedicated to bass though. IMO. I ordered a Sandberg California from them. Plus, a Genz Benz rig.
It was a great day. Luke, who doesn't work there anymore, was a top lad. Mark, the gaffer is cool. He knows his stuff. They put you straight. I call Mark the Oracle. I email him alsorts of random questions. He never tells me to go forth, when he could easily.

I went in not long ago to check out 1972 jazz bass, in white with black fret inlays and the guy Marcus, Mark's new chap on the floor, dissuaded me from buying it. As I drove home, I thought "Tosser, I didn't like him." However, with hindsight he was right. My jaunt up there wasn't half as much fun but it made me realise I had gone there on a whim. They knew.

Chewie

Again though as for stock as it's not like a cattle market, that 17 string roasted MDF custom build bass you drove all the way there for might have been sold that morning! If you want a pile of Marshall £60 guitar amps to pick from go to PMT instead.
Although I say its not a big place its bigger than the typical bass section of the biggest shops, its ALL about the bass :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I feel uneasy about the way individuals are being targeted by these posts, although I would agree many comments are complimentary. We hide behind our aliases while feeling free to comment on a couple of young men doing the job probably to the best of their abilities. I think it is a great shop and we, as a bass playing community, are lucky to have it as a resource.

Like plenty of us all I'm sure, I've been lucky enough to visit (and spend in) most of the Bass shops we all talk about on here, Bass Direct, Wunjo Bass and The Gallery in Camden for example. Never got to BassGear which I'm sad about, as I understand it was a great shop to go to.

Of those 3 I'd say The Gallery is probably my favourite place to [i]visit[/i], but I've actually spent more money with Bass Direct than I have in the Gallery and Wunjo. Not 100% sure why that is, but what I do like about BD is that you certainly know where you are with Mark, he's opinionated and that's fine with me, I don't really need buttering up to purchase something, GAS usually does it for me anyway.

But I also understand that folks like to feel that their custom is valued, and I agree that sometimes, that can be lacking in the experience at BD. I mean, a smile costs nothing, right?

Personally, I will have usually exchanged some emails with the guys before visiting to check a few things, as with it being 140 miles away I can't just call there on a whim. The point I'm making is that they know that I've travelled for probably 2.5hrs to get there to check something specific out (and most likely buy) and I [i]have [/i]felt that they could make more of an effort with the pleasantries given the distance I've travelled. Not a show stopper for me like I say, but still true.

Over the past year or so, I've put some serious thought into opening a Bass shop myself. I have not looked into the financial aspects of such an endeavour as yet, and that will probably frighten me to death!, but moreso thought about my combined experiences of shop visits around the country and wanting to provide customers with a positive experience on every level from arrival to departure. Perhaps I should ask Mark for a Job?

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1477915819' post='3165180']
Like plenty of us all I'm sure, I've been lucky enough to visit (and spend in) most of the Bass shops we all talk about on here, Bass Direct, Wunjo Bass and The Gallery in Camden for example. Never got to BassGear which I'm sad about, as I understand it was a great shop to go to.

Of those 3 I'd say The Gallery is probably my favourite place to [i]visit[/i], but I've actually spent more money with Bass Direct than I have in the Gallery and Wunjo. Not 100% sure why that is, but what I do like about BD is that you certainly know where you are with Mark, he's opinionated and that's fine with me, I don't really need buttering up to purchase something, GAS usually does it for me anyway.

But I also understand that folks like to feel that their custom is valued, and I agree that sometimes, that can be lacking in the experience at BD. I mean, a smile costs nothing, right?

Personally, I will have usually exchanged some emails with the guys before visiting to check a few things, as with it being 140 miles away I can't just call there on a whim. The point I'm making is that they know that I've travelled for probably 2.5hrs to get there to check something specific out (and most likely buy) and I [i]have [/i]felt that they could make more of an effort with the pleasantries given the distance I've travelled. Not a show stopper for me like I say, but still true.

Over the past year or so, I've put some serious thought into opening a Bass shop myself. I have not looked into the financial aspects of such an endeavour as yet, and that will probably frighten me to death!, but moreso thought about my combined experiences of shop visits around the country and wanting to provide customers with a positive experience on every level from arrival to departure. Perhaps I should ask Mark for a Job?
[/quote]

Too misquote from another source, the only way you'll make a fortune selling bass related gear in the UK is to start off with a larger fortune...!

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1477918823' post='3165226']
If you are thinking of setting up a bass-related business then you should look up The Great British Bass Lounge on Facebook. Drew is a great guy and very open about his thoughts on the current state of the market.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, every little bit of info I can get will help..

I've been living in Leamington at weekends for a coupla years and nip into BD several times a year a have always found Mark and the lads who work there very civil and helpful even though what I spend there won't get them high fiving. In fact they've tended to recommend products to me that are much better value than what I've originally gone in for. Way better than 99% of other guitar shops I've visited.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1477919428' post='3165233']
Thanks for that, every little bit of info I can get will help..
[/quote]
Scroll down to the post where he discusses Bass Gear of Twyford and their decision to switch to online only sales.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks for that, every little bit of info I can get will help.. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm in retail - the business rates & rent will murder your bottom line,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Only do this if you need to find out 'what if'[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :yarr:[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

It's a good thing to have somebody tell you the difference between what you want and what you really need. I'm sure there's lots and lots of Rickenbacker 4003 s and SVT monsters purchased from thomann et al on line and disappointed customers discovering that their teenage object of desire isn't exactly what they thought it was. These stores don't offer advice and will happily take your hard earned cash for the white elephant of your choose. So an expert opinion is invaluable.

[quote name='Quilly' timestamp='1477937541' post='3165397']
It's a good thing to have somebody tell you the difference between what you want and what you really need. I'm sure there's lots and lots of Rickenbacker 4003 s and SVT monsters purchased from thomann et al on line and disappointed customers discovering that their teenage object of desire isn't exactly what they thought it was. These stores don't offer advice and will happily take your hard earned cash for the white elephant of your choose. So an expert opinion is invaluable.
[/quote]

Admirably prosaic but music shops are dream factories. If we all went away with what we truly need there'd be 200 Precisions sold across the UK for active professionals and maybe 100 rigs for the tourers and 100 DI boxes for the sessioneers. That's it! Vast majority would come away with absolutely nothing.

I guess what I meant is that without the right advice everyone would buy TV gear (I.e fenders rics ampegs etc) without even considering brands like sandberg, Mike lulls or bertilingos. Until I started browsing bass direct I never heard of this stuff. Now I play a Sandberg from Germany and a Mayones from Poland, my fender and musicman are long gone.

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1477933285' post='3165373']
Scroll down to the post where he discusses Bass Gear of Twyford and their decision to switch to online only sales.
[/quote][quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1477937075' post='3165395']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks for that, every little bit of info I can get will help.. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm in retail - the business rates & rent will murder your bottom line,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Only do this if you need to find out 'what if'[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :yarr:[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Thanks Gentlemen.

Just spent the last hour and a bit in bass direct. Was at an exhibition in Birmingham so stopped in with my colleague on the way home. He's a relative newby player but a very successful businessman. The shop was dead when we arrived but Marcus was friendly and was happy to let us try some basses and answer any questions about the basses and gear in general. My colleague was thinking about a possible new bass and explained that he wanted something light and around the £1200 mark. Marcus let him try Dingwalls and sandbergs that he wanted to look at and then offered a suggestion of a new maruzchychk which was more expensive but might suit better. Instant hit. Job done. £1750 spent with a really nice strap thrown in. It was simply very good service. Mark came out and shook his hand at the end too which was a nice touch.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1478102347' post='3166785']
Just spent the last hour and a bit in bass direct. Was at an exhibition in Birmingham so stopped in with my colleague on the way home. He's a relative newby player but a very successful businessman. The shop was dead when we arrived but Marcus was friendly and was happy to let us try some basses and answer any questions about the basses and gear in general. My colleague was thinking about a possible new bass and explained that he wanted something light and around the £1200 mark. Marcus let him try Dingwalls and sandbergs that he wanted to look at and then offered a suggestion of a new maruzchychk which was more expensive but might suit better. Instant hit. Job done. £1750 spent with a really nice strap thrown in. It was simply very good service. Mark came out and shook his hand at the end too which was a nice touch.
[/quote]

Which is what I expected and didn't get when I went. Surely if his lads see what he does (ie just be nice to folk spending their hard-earned) they can simply copy it - it's not rocket science. I don't want slimey car salesmen (although many of those guys have cleaned up their acts lately). There is a balance between being left undisturbed and having some attention paid.
anyhow I hope they continue to thrive....and I suspect Mark has got round the high rents/rates issue by working from a small industrial park where such things are much lower.

My advice for what its worth to the basschatter wanting to set his own shop up is....see if you can find a small shop with a bit of room to rent you a space first before you commit to all the hassle.

^^^ I know a leisure lighting/sound firm (no names, no pack drill) that started in about 1986 in a Council Yard startup office space (I think the dustcarts were still using one bit) - they now run three or four huge industrial units with a stock inventory that must make Hinkley look cheap - all done by being 'nice' to their customers - it can happen, but I think it's harder now.............

:)

Sorry to be negative, but my experience was pretty frustrating. I rang them to ask bout a TC amp they were selling s/h and was told to come in and bring a bass - which I did, blowing out my lunch hour. Unfortunately, when I got there I wasn't allowed to try it out because I didn't want a head and enclosure, I really wanted a combo and an extension cab an the TC was too coloured for me. What I actually needed to do was spend more money than I had. There was no attempt to establish musical stye / sound preferences, just 'buy this' and when didn't bite, the guy just wandered off into his office. So I left with nothing - and for the crime of totally wasting my time, they will never get a penny of my business.

• 5 months later...

Just travelled 140 miles to purchase a Spector gig bag listed on Bass Directs website. Got there only to be told very rudely "not had them in 3 months"

So why are they available to purchase via the website. I stood awkwardly while Marcus & assistant tit tattled about when one was last sold like children.

Frankly Marcus seems like a very spoilt, downright rude person who has no people skills, no idea how to treat customers and has no idea how to run a business or a website.

I highly recommend taking your money elsewhere, especially if you're looking to buy a new instrument.

The Gallery in Camden or Bass Gear are both very friendly and will offer you a brew and a chat. Marcus will offer nothing but awkward silences and rude remarks.

[quote name='ChazzJEUK' timestamp='1492165799' post='3278388']
Just travelled 140 miles to purchase a Spector gig bag listed on Bass Directs website. Got there only to be told very rudely "not had them in 3 months"

So why are they available to purchase via the website. I stood awkwardly while Marcus & assistant tit tattled about when one was last sold like children.

Frankly Marcus seems like a very spoilt, downright rude person who has no people skills, no idea how to treat customers and has no idea how to run a business or a website.

I highly recommend taking your money elsewhere, especially if you're looking to buy a new instrument.

The Gallery in Camden or Bass Gear are both very friendly and will offer you a brew and a chat. Marcus will offer nothing but awkward silences and rude remarks.
[/quote]

Phone first... it's a 140 mile drive.

That way you wouldn't have to put up sales people who on the face of have no sales skills.