Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

jgmh315

17 hours ago, oldbass said:

I've been to a number of big gigs/festivals recently with bassists playing all manner of different instruments.....and guess what..they all sounded the same...boom mush boom.

That's because the sound engineers at big festivals take the bass pre-EQ and just use the desk to give a straight bass sound, rather than the one you have spent time making your own..... :(
To many of them "bass is bass"....

37 minutes ago, cetera said:

That's because the sound engineers at big festivals take the bass pre-EQ and just use the desk to give a straight bass sound, rather than the one you have spent time making your own..... :(
To many of them "bass is bass"....

That`s why I always connect the DI cable to my Sansamp - a straight bass sound would  decimate the sound of our band, much the same way as getting the guitarist to play his Les Paul with no gain.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

That`s why I always connect the DI cable to my Sansamp - a straight bass sound would  decimate the sound of our band, much the same way as getting the guitarist to play his Les Paul with no gain.

I've been known to press the 'Post EQ' button after he's plugged it into my amp ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep, I've commented before about the appalling quality of a lot of big festival/gig bass; it's invariably mush...or at least it has been at the last few I've been to. The two methods above are a step towards a better sound out front, but then the sound engineer will probably make a balls of it anyway...he'll just have to try a bit harder... 😏

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

this and/or the di out the front of the hartke - they 'assume' it is clean/pre but are blissfully unaware of the pre/post button on the back  :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I make it easy for everyone by simply having a rig that allows no access to the signal path until it is post everything.

Unless they ask you to plug into the house DI box first to get 'a good clean sound'!

That's why my MXR M80 DI is so handy - really good clean DI with EQ that actually makes a difference. I normally plug into that and get the sound man to use that DI instead. 

On 11/07/2018 at 19:25, FinnDave said:

Pershonally, I think righting when pished is fine, it is more expresso of what you is thinking. 

I'd agree with what you said or wot you rote, in general. Or anywhere else.

Anyways, a lot of it is not about what the pubic appreciate, its about having a sound that makes you happy, and we do like to be happy, don't we? I mean, if the bass sounds nice in your ears, then it helps you play better. Or something.

I usually play Fender basses, but last weekend played two giggles using my Alembic and it sounded nicer to me ears, but also to the rest of the band, the soundman and a  surprising number of peeple in the ordinance, many of whom came to tell me how nice the bass sounded. Which was nice.

(it's harder trying to write pished when you're not than trying to write sober when you're not!)

Agree,you may not get complaints but a good sound gets noticed i've found .Oddly from people like Landladies behind the bar etc

On 12/07/2018 at 15:23, steve-bbb said:

this and/or the di out the front of the hartke - they 'assume' it is clean/pre but are blissfully unaware of the pre/post button on the back  :)

You are right. Most of the engineers I've dealt with, have no idea that most bass amps have a pre/post button on the back.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I have yet to come across a sound engineer who has asked me to do this in almost 40 years of gigging. 

Lucky you. The number of times I've got into "heated debate" about my refusal to do that is almost beyond counting. I'll never, ever give the sound guy a pre eq so that they can cut off anything over 1khz and turn my tone into sludge. Happened a few times many years ago. Never again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Lucky you. The number of times I've got into "heated debate" about my refusal to do that is almost beyond counting. I'll never, ever give the sound guy a pre eq so that they can cut off anything over 1khz and turn my tone into sludge. Happened a few times many years ago. Never again.

Ewww. 1kHz LPF at the desk is a sorry state of affairs.

22 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Er... The sound guy can cut anything over 1kHz even if fed from a post-Eq DI. Just sayin'. :|

34 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Er... The sound guy can cut anything over 1kHz even if fed from a post-Eq DI. Just sayin'. :|

Was going to say just this. The main reason for sound guys wanting the bass direct is so there won't be any unexpected volume jumps.

32 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Of course they can. However raw active bass generally sounds crap which is why I won't agree to it. Furthermore, ever heard an Alembic pre DI'd then cut at 800hz? No? You shouldn't want to either. However, my general disdain for the approach of some live sound engineer's is something for another thread. Using effects? Oh well, pity that won't get transmitted to the audience then.

In other news, I'm considering new cabs and Bass Direct are in the running to get my cash.

As you were.