Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

jgmh315

I was in there lunchtime today, all I wanted was a set of strings, but I was treated with respect and had a lengthy chat with the owner, whom I found to be both knowledgeable and friendly. Definitely going back when I need anything else bass related!

I've bought a few Hipshot products via BD over the last year.  Mostly straightforward with only one 'hiccup'.  I would use them again but I think they can probably improve their order tracking and communication with customers.

Credit where credit is due, just had a fantastic experience with BassDirect. Had an issue with a purchased bass, they were very polite, friendly and understanding. Sorted everything out, above and beyond what I would have expected. Their attitude and provided solution was far beyond what I would have expected from even the best Customer Services. Well done indeed, a very happy customer. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, BrunoBass said:

I really must pop in, I only live twenty minutes away and I’ve never visited. 

For the sake of your bank balance; leave the credit card at home and just go for a noodle!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

I really must pop in, I only live twenty minutes away and I’ve never visited. 

It will change your life.

2 hours ago, Daz39 said:

For the sake of your bank balance; leave the credit card at home and just go for a noodle!

Also, this.

• Like 2

On 20/05/2018 at 18:29, KingPrawn said:

I was in there the other day. They have got some amazing stock in at the moment. Some of the second-hand stuff is orgasmic. Not to sure whos been shifting stuff but wow!

I was planning to drive up there soon to get some more strings and a bridge, but I think I'll avoid the temptation and order them by mail.

12 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I was planning to drive up there soon to get some more strings and a bridge, but I think I'll avoid the temptation and order them by mail.

I’d ring ahead and have the stuff ready to collect. Keep your eyes closed and hand over the cash. 😂

Edited by KingPrawn
  • Haha 1

Just now, KingPrawn said:

I’d ring ahead and have the stuff ready to collect. Keep your eyes closed and hand over the cash. 😂

Oh yeah, I can really see that working! I'd probably find myself driving home with a couple of Alembics and a monstrous credit card bill!

In fact, I won't even phone them, just order on on line, late at night. 

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

It will change your life.

Also, this.

I always feel like a fraud though, visiting guitar shops when I have no intention of buying anything, like I’m wasting their time. Anyone else feel that? I’m guessing not many! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I always feel like a fraud though, visiting guitar shops when I have no intention of buying anything, like I’m wasting their time. Anyone else feel that? I’m guessing not many! 😁

Nope, because even if you think you've no intention of buying anything, if you're like the rest of us, you will anyway. If not on that visit, then the next, or the one after that. They rely on it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Nope, because even if you think you've no intention of buying anything, if you're like the rest of us, you will anyway. 

True. I once popped into PMT to get a cable and left with a Music Man Stingray. That took some explaining when I got home haha.

• Haha 1

On 21/05/2018 at 20:37, BrunoBass said:

True. I once popped into PMT to get a cable and left with a Music Man Stingray. That took some explaining when I got home haha.

PMT is the worst, especially the one in Oxford. They're so accommodating and let you try stuff, bend over backwards not to look happy when you hand over your card...I once went in for a plectrum and walked out with two new amps! I think I forgot the pick, too.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2017 at 14:29, ambient said:

I bought a Mono Vertigo gig bag from them in August 2016. it had travelled hundreds and hundreds of miles with me, on trains, buses and the Eurostar across Europe.

The strap broke a couple of weeks ago, as luck would have it just as I was getting on a train for a gig in Bristol. Anyway I managed an emergency repair using my teeth to squeeze the broken buckle bak together and continued my journey.

I emailed Mark on the Monday morning, he got straight on to Mono and the distributors, and within a very short space of time had negotiated a return and a replacement bag for me. He even offered to post the broken one if I could get it over to him.

That is why shops like Bass direct should in my opinion be shown more appreciation, who cares whether they sell a set of strings with mismatched silks?

We should ensure their survival in what must be a very difficult market, with so many apparently great deals available on-line. Can you seriously imagine Amazon who, although well known for their great customer service arranging a return on an item almost a year and a half after purchase?

That's impressive. I also bought a mono gigbag from Bass Direct which has started to tear within the warranty period - however I got a brief but polite email saying I'd have to take it up with the distributor, and get my bag posted to Glasgow myself. Would have loved them to take it on for me!

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's impressive. I also bought a mono gigbag from Bass Direct which has started to tear within the warranty period - however I got a brief but polite email saying I'd have to take it up with the distributor, and get my bag posted to Glasgow myself. Would have loved them to take it on for me!

If its within warranty you should be dealing with the vendor not the distributor - they're trying to dodge out of their responsibility by passing you on

Edited by Mudpup

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Your contract is with the retailer, not the distributor, it is up to them to sort it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Your contract is with the retailer, not the distributor, it is up to them to sort it.

Ah, that's a shame. This is the email I got from BD:

Hi Mike, thank you for your enquiry. It will need to be taken up with Westside distribution.

Kind regards

Marcus

Well, it's getting sorted now, but a bit of a pain to get a double bass gigbag to Glasgow from the South East. BD were kind enough to email me a digital copy of my invoice which really helped me out though.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Well, it's getting sorted now, but a bit of a pain to get a double bass gigbag to Glasgow from the South East. BD were kind enough to email me a digital copy of my invoice which really helped me out though.

Well, it is kind of the minimum they could do seeing as they were supposed to be doing it themselves.

It is something I will bear in mind if I consider dealing with them, thats for sure.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, it is kind of the minimum they could do seeing as they were supposed to be doing it themselves.

It is something I will bear in mind if I consider dealing with them, thats for sure.

I'm planning on dropping in enroute to my gig in Birmingham on Saturday - here's hoping for a positive experience, I'm confident it will be :)

12 hours ago, Mudpup said:

If its within warranty you should be dealing with the vendor not the distributor - they're trying to dodge out of their responsibility by passing you on

He did a similar thing with me a few years ago with a faulty combo amp which was less than 12 months old. Although he sorted it out, he always claimed he was helping me out by dealing with the distributor on my behalf rather than taking direct responsibility for what he had sold me.

I’m in the same boat right now, getting my Phil Jones Double Four repaired (the input gain knob doesn’t work) and having to deal directly with the distributor. To be fair I can see how having to go through Bass Direct themselves as a middle man would actually slow the whole thing down so in a way I’m actually grateful for being able to get it sorted at source. Still, would be nice if I was offered the option of returning it to BD, them replacing my unit themselves and chasing up the issue with the distributor on their end...

People’s experience with bass direct seem to be very mixed.  I’ve only used them a few times via the internet.  The worst experience was last year when they were selling a secondhand AER Bass One for what seemed like a very good price.  No mention of any damage to the amp.  I phoned up and was told that when the amp arrived from the guy selling it via them it received some minor damage to one corner, but they had managed to fix it.

Well it turned up, and I have to say the damage was a little more noticeable than they let on.  Anyway, well within 14 days I had decided that the amp wasn’t suitable for my needs and that the damage was not acceptable to me.  But they refused to take it back, saying that they had already paid the seller.  Now as someone who has just sold a guitar on consignment I know that shops just don’t do this.  With my guitar there is a 30 Cooling off period before I get paid , just in case the buyer changes their mind.  So I knew that Bass Direct hadn’t paid the seller at all, and if they had, well, it wasn’t my fault!  It was only when I had to turn all legal and remind them about the distance selling law that they agreed to take it back.

It just annoys me all these stories of Bass Direct sometimes treating customers like the royalty they should be, and at other times treating them with absolute contempt.  There is no excuse for it, and should be ashamed of themselves when their service just doesn’t come up to scratch.

Robbie

Must be quite difficult running a shop like BD so I doff my cap to them... although my most memorable BD gaffe was seen when looking at the used basses, the bass in question was described as mint... yet in the description, went on to detail the small amount of damage that was present on it :P

Edited by EBS_freak