Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

jgmh315

Mark is a really nice guy and can be very talkative when he gets the chance, bearing in mind he is a one man operation and always seems to be really busy.

Beware that he is a man with very definite views, which may not be the same as yours! That is not to say that your way of doing things is wrong, but be prepared to be challenged a bit - he never read the memo about the customer always being right!! However, he does know his stuff and he may give you a new perspective on certain types of gear, etc...

Never been in but met Mark at LBGS and he's a top guy, bought my Mono M80 from them online last month and it didn't turn up, turns out they hadn't sent it some how. Gave them a quick ring and Mark was super apologetic and it was with me next day. Can't complain with that, we're human - we all make mistakes, and it was the Christmas period too :)

Definitely worth a visit. But..

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1389289729' post='2332469']
Beware that he is a man with very definite views, which may not be the same as yours! That is not to say that your way of doing things is wrong, but be prepared to be challenged a bit - he never read the memo about the customer always being right!! However, he does know his stuff and he may give you a new perspective on certain types of gear, etc...
[/quote]
^^^ That!

But he is a friendly guy.

My take is that I believe Mark can be trusted to have your interests at heart, and to sell you the right stuff.
He will have strong opinions, yes. I like it that way, and have bought two amps from him as a direct result of it. Will be a returning customer later as well.

Though I'm very respectful of a few less than wonderful experiences that some BC members have had with the shop, I think it's best to enter the dialogue with positive expectations. Mark deserves it, I think.
I did, and am glad that I did.

In general I think it's a good idea to make an appointment, or you risk that he concentrates on another customer who does have an appointment.

Edited by BassTractor

I'm a satisfied customer too. I'd rather have Mark's opinion, even if I don't always agree with it, than someone who didn't know the real world of bass playing.

Edited by PTB

I second a comment made above. As it's a small business, if someone else comes into the shop, the full attention you were getting is suddenly halved. Understandable, but frustrating. Probably best to book your time in advance. But, Mark has lots of great kit, and BD is well worth a visit.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1389345418' post='2333004']
... Probably best to book your time in advance. But, Mark has lots of great kit, and BD is well worth a visit.
[/quote]

Good advice. I always call Mark beforehand if I know I'm going to make a purchase and let him know what I want to try out.

Mark might not always tell you what you want to hear, but he will help you make the right choice for sure. I've purchased several basses and my current live rig from BD and have no complaints. It's probably the best bass guitar shop we have in the UK tbh.

Never been to the shop (yet), but interested to know what Mark's 'views' are that everyone keeps hinting at?

Judging by the fact he doesn't stock any Fender or Ampeg apart from used stuff, perhaps he's more into modern sounding gear, tweeters, and clackety-clacking?

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1389289729' post='2332469']
[/quote] Definitely agree with that, I found some comments rather ill considered in fact damn right rude (I brought a comfort strap and apparently put it on the wrong way round! his comment to someone down the phone " he doesn't even know which way round a comfort strap should go") err actually no and I still put it on which ever way feels best :on_the_quiet: but he does know his stuff and he wants you to buy the right gear for you, enjoy your visit and wear a thick skin in advance

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1389382058' post='2333748']
Definitely agree with that, I found some comments rather ill considered in fact damn right rude (I brought a comfort strap and apparently put it on the wrong way round! his comment to someone down the phone " he doesn't even know which way round a comfort strap should go") err actually no and I still put it on which ever way feels best :on_the_quiet: but he does know his stuff and he wants you to buy the right gear for you, enjoy your visit and wear a thick skin in advance
[/quote]
Actually, I find his approach rather refreshing. Far better than some salesman talking b0110cks trying to tell me that there is no difference between Lakland Skyline basses (which he stocks) and US made Laklands (which he doesn't) except for price! Gimme a break...

Edited by peteb

I'v met Mark at the LBGS and had correspondence by text/email on many occasions..I like the fact that he is straight talking...I daren't visit the shop though as I know I would leave with a significantly smaller bank balance...

Edited by TheGreek