Why become a member? ×

DARK MATTER - new project, new track!

Skol303

Here's the latest offering from Basschat's own Mike Flynn (urb) and I, produced in collaboration with Brooklyn-based rapper Donnie Ozone and trumpeter Andy Davies (of Mike's jazz outfit, J-Sonics) under the name [i]Stir Up a Hurricane[/i]:

https://stirupahurricane.bandcamp.com/

The track started life as a composition by Mike for the monthly new music competition, here in the Recording forum on Basschat. We took his original track, injected it with steroids and created the monster you hear now.

Feedback is very welcome!

EP to follow later in 2014…

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1389221647' post='2331681']...Feedback is very welcome!...[/quote]

Well..! I'll readily admit to being very (very..!) far from my 'comfort zone' in listening to this. This is not a criticism; rather the opposite, coming from me..! I'll also admit to having difficulty with lyrics that I can't always distinguish clearly, being somewhat deaf. This is no reflection on the rapper, nor the mix. This being said, I'll also admit to enjoying the new experience, and progressively more and more as the music built up. A 'tension' is established, a sense of urgency subtly pervades the beat, there's a 'pace' going on which pulls me forward and in.
Have I heard this before..? No, patently not, but floods of memories were pulled out of my neuronic mists... Spaceheads, Bumcello, Meï Teï Shô; even Matching Mole..!
I'll readily admit that I didn't leap out of my armchair and start jiving desperately. To do that would take 400v ac, and is unlikely to come about even on hearing the last trumpet. I did tap my feet, though, and will listen again, right now.
Well done to all involved; more so when the geographical separation is taken into account (not that it shows at all...). Is that feedback enough..?

Sincere thanks Douglas! That's very positive feedback and I'm glad you found things of interest in the track - even thought (and in fact especially because) it was far from your 'comfort zone' :)

Good to hear you picked up on the sense of tension and pace. That's all down to Mike's composition skills.

The Spaceheads I'm familiar with... the other bands you reference are on my list to Google! Looking forward to that.

It's definitely a [i]very[/i] different writing process to being in a more conventional band. There's obviously less opportunity to create things 'on the fly' and bounce ideas off each other immediately. But I think there's also more scope for everyone to do their own thing and stamp their mark on the end result - my job being to pull it together and work with the great material I'm given, which is bliss :)

Cheers again for listening. Appreciated.

Well I obviously think it's all marvelous - but then I am biased (so ignore me) - this was so much fun to do and I think the mix is quite literally sick - not to mention the beats - yes it is a bit jazz rap but hey[b] try and listen without prejudice[/b] - this is just the collective sound of what's in our heads - very proud of this one.

More coming soon... hope you guys enjoy this one :)

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1389258293' post='2331904']Great track, Jazz Rap !!, excellent playing and singing/rapping and super production, very different from a traditional sounding rap song IMHO and great because of that :D[/quote]

Thanks John! It's a real fusion of influences but good to hear you think it works.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1389279505' post='2332274']Love the backing track! B) Not so keen on the rap I'm afraid. Not too sure why, but it just doesn't seem to work with the music for me... almost too polite? :unsure:[/quote]

Interesting point! I'm obviously biased, but what I really like about Donnie's rap style is that he's laid back and non-aggressive... Kind of 'old school' conscious hip hop. But I'm sure he has moments of impoliteness too :D

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1389290045' post='2332476']Gotta say it's not really the style of music which floats my boat but it is an incredibly good track and certainly much better than the mainstream music of this genre. Nice once lads :)[/quote]

Cheers Mert! Can't ask for more than that :) Thanks for listening.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1389295183' post='2332573']I love it, especially when it goes D&B at 2;30 but can I be forgiven for being a bit thick and asking, was this all recorded remotely or were you all in a studio at the same time? Very very cool me thinks.[/quote]

That's not a thick question at all! It was all recorded and produced remotely over the t'Internet, with us discussing stuff via email (with Donnie in the US) and over the phone (between Mike and I in the UK). It's obviously second best to being in the same room together, but it works surprisingly well. Glad you like it and thanks for the feedback! Appreciated.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1389298209' post='2332625']

That's not a thick question at all! It was all recorded and produced remotely over the t'Internet, with us discussing stuff via email (with Donnie in the US) and over the phone (between Mike and I in the UK). It's obviously second best to being in the same room together, but it works surprisingly well. Glad you like it and thanks for the feedback! Appreciated.
[/quote]

It's so cool that technology lends itself in such a way that continents are no barrier and great music can be produced. Kudos to all involved, I'm looking forward to the EP.

Great mix and from a compositional point of view, it's laid out nicely with some cool musical devices. I am however in the 'not a fan of the rap' category. Just a bit too polite (rhythms and phrasing could've been more interesting and in context with the arrangement) and the tuning is just discomforting. I can't work out if the pitch of the rap is supposed to be atonal/dissonant or is just slightly out of tune and I think that uncertainty makes it difficult to listen to/enjoy. There's 'playing out' and there's just 'out' and (for me) l need the transparency of tonality and it to be clear whether things are intentionally out and that's not there in this, IMO!

I think instrumentally though, it's clear that any tension is cleverly explored and creates an intriguing tonality that makes you want to be lead to the conclusion.

I'd listen again and look forward to the next one too :-)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1389300184' post='2332663']Sounds great.[/quote]
Cheers Steve! :)

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1389300553' post='2332670']It's so cool that technology lends itself in such a way that continents are no barrier and great music can be produced. Kudos to all involved, I'm looking forward to the EP.[/quote]
Definitely! It's a slower process than recording altogether in a studio, of course, but I think it also allows more time to consider the music and let everyone play their part in it. It would have been very difficult in 'ye olden days' of dial-up modems, but nowadays it's a doddle ;)

[quote name='odysseus' timestamp='1389305875' post='2332771']This is great! Very well played and put together, very well recorded... and I really like the dude's voice. Rap normally isn't my thing, but this isn't a normal rap track. Cracking work, guys![/quote]
Many thanks! That's very positive feedback - gratefully received. "Not a normal rap track" is exactly what we were hoping for :) Cheers dude.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1389306617' post='2332779']
Great mix and from a compositional point of view, it's laid out nicely with some cool musical devices. I am however in the 'not a fan of the rap' category. Just a bit too polite (rhythms and phrasing could've been more interesting and in context with the arrangement) and the tuning is just discomforting. I can't work out if the pitch of the rap is supposed to be atonal/dissonant or is just slightly out of tune and I think that uncertainty makes it difficult to listen to/enjoy. There's 'playing out' and there's just 'out' and (for me) l need the transparency of tonality and it to be clear whether things are intentionally out and that's not there in this, IMO! I think instrumentally though, it's clear that any tension is cleverly explored and creates an intriguing tonality that makes you want to be lead to the conclusion.I'd listen again and look forward to the next one too :-)[/quote]

Thanks Skej, very useful comments. Glad you like the arrangement and production. And as I've said elsewhere, it's heartening to get positive feedback from you guys who don't normally listen to hip hop and rap music. Can't ask for more than that! :)

The issue of tuning vocals in rap if of course different to that of a traditionally sung piece. It's essentially spoken word, so the tone is simply that of Donnie's voice - as is the case with all rap music. If you listen carefully his lyrical tack actually goes 'minor' when the instrumentation changes to a minor key, so there is some subtle musicality in his delivery.

Anyway, thanks for listening and posting your thoughts here. Sincerely appreciated.

Paul

I generally like the track and production etc, and it's all very well put together. Top marks.

However, I am another one uncomfortable with the (Lyrical) pitch,
and agree [size=4]with the point(s) skej21 made about it being [/size][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]atonal/dissonant etc.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Just a view from my ears of course, and not intended to cause offence.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]But like I said earlier. the rest sounds great. :)[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1389362753' post='2333338']
I generally like the track and production etc, and it's all very well put together. Top marks.

and agree [size=4]with the point(s) skej21 made about it being [/size][color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4]atonal/dissonant etc.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4]Just a view from my ears of course, and not intended to cause offence.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4]But like I said earlier. the rest sounds great. :)[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Cheers Garry! No offence taken by any of the comments received, quite the opposite :) All very useful stuff and good to have so many different perspectives on it. It'll help us sharpen our tools for the next one.

I must admit that neither Mike nor I noticed any real [color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4]tonal issues with Donnie's vocal. That's not to say there aren't any; just that they didn't leap out to me when producing it.[/size][/font][/color] I listen to a lot of hip hop, so it might just be that my ears are 'adjusted' to spoken word stuff. Or it might be that I need to invest in some proper monitors! :D [i](yeah, I'm looking for an excuse to buy new gear...).[/i]

Thanks again mate. Really good to have your thoughts on it.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1389362753' post='2333338']

and agree with the point(s) skej21 made about it being [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]atonal/dissonant etc.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just a view from my ears of course, and not intended to cause offence.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]But like I said earlier. the rest sounds great. :)[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I suppose I can understand what you mean, but to me it's all good. It's got attitude, and for me it's a wonderfully understated performance and the lyrics speak for themselves.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389391080' post='2333896']

I suppose I can understand what you mean, but to me it's all good. It's got attitude, and for me it's a wonderfully understated performance and the lyrics speak for themselves.
[/quote]

Yes indeed Nige - it's the understated vibe that for me really seals the vocals - I love Donnie's delivery and lyrics - we gave him the idea of playing around with the meaning of the title between something socially conscious and something more metaphysical - he nailed it IMO :)

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1389462707' post='2334439']
Yes indeed Nige - it's the understated vibe that for me really seals the vocals - I love Donnie's delivery and lyrics - we gave him the idea of playing around with the meaning of the title between something socially conscious and something more metaphysical - he nailed it IMO :)
[/quote]

Totally Mike. He's got a lovely philosophical vibe going on with this, and World Pass By, and he knows how to put that across with words instead of simply sounding angry and pissed off at the material world with its greed and lack of compassion. What he does is subtle, it makes the listener actually LISTEN, I think that's a vital component of what you guys are doing.

Personally, I don't understand the attitude most people have to 'rap', it's like there's some sort of shield up, a prejudice that prevents any sort of realistic appraisal of the words. Good rap is audible poetry with music and it takes a real skill with words. Whereas Lemmy 'singing' Ace of Spades commands such respect, a lot of folks think 'rap' is just f***ers who can't sing shouting about tip-drilling hos or whatever :rolleyes:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389463678' post='2334456']...Personally, I don't understand the attitude most people have to 'rap'...[/quote]

I can only speak for myself, but I'm mostly put off by rap when I can't understand a solitary word of the 'flow' (in French, English or [s]Gangster[/s] American...) As, very often, the 'music' is, at best, summary, there's not much left to enjoy (maybe, for those inclined, the ubiquitous busty ladies and finned cars covered with bling could hold a certain appeal; not my style, I'm afraid...). If the lyrics/text is audible it stands a chance. If it's a decent subject, and well constructed, extra points. A technical delivery, often with a surprise element, starts gaining kudos. I'm not greatly influenced by the physical traits of the artist, but an appropriate video can bring a deeper appreciation. Rap, or slam..? No problem, but if one can't distinguish the words, it's almost a lost cause, to me at least. There's some great stuff out there, though.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389463678' post='2334456']Totally Mike. He's got a lovely philosophical vibe going on with this, and World Pass By, and he knows how to put that across with words instead of simply sounding angry and pissed off at the material world with its greed and lack of compassion. What he does is subtle, it makes the listener actually LISTEN, I think that's a vital component of what you guys are doing.[/quote]

Amen to that! You've got it, Nige. Those are precisely the qualities I really like about Donnie.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1389465590' post='2334479']As, very often, the 'music' is, at best, summary, there's not much left to enjoy (maybe, for those inclined, the ubiquitous busty ladies and finned cars covered with bling could hold a certain appeal; not my style, I'm afraid...).[/quote]

That sounds like gangster rap, which is normally written with a silent 'c' ;)

Hop hop is a much broader genre and I guarantee that [i]everyone[/i] here could find something to love amongst it. Go back to the 80s and early 90s - before the potty-mouthed gangster stuff - and you'll find some really soulful, jazzy, political, uplifting, honest music. Some of which has amazing instrumentation, far more engaging that the simple beats you hear today.

----------

[color=#b22222][b]PS: this track is now available to buy on [url="https://stirupahurricane.bandcamp.com/"]Bandcamp[/url].[/b][/color][b] [color=#b22222]If y'know, anyone here is feeling generous, sympathetic or just drunk and a little reckles[b]s...[/b][/color][/b]

:drinks:

Edited by Skol303

a great piece Paul , and I have to say, I am much with Dad on this , its not my cup of tea , but is emminently listenable . I thought though that there were couple of stops in the middle that spoilt the flow for me a touch , but I have a few gil scot herron items on my playlists and this would fit in with that poetry to music vibe , again much different to the shouty angry way the youth like to communicate in this genre