Why become a member? ×

locked topic?

508pir

hi everyone,
due to my inexperience at this forum stuff I was wondering if someone could tell me how to unlock a topic. I have sold an item and now want to write next to the title that is it sold, but i don't know how or cannot seem to edit it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ric

once it's sold it gets locked, it being locked is evidence of it's soldness so I wouldn't worry about it matey, if a thread does need unlocking you can pm a mod explaning what you're after and include a link to the thread and they'll sort it for you :)

Just an observation, but I tend to PM any seller rather than posting to the 'for sale' topic. So, unless the topic actually states 'SOLD' in the title or in the last post I probably wouldn't notice and would be wasting the seller's time by enquiring.

I don't know how much extra time it would take for the mods (who presumably do the locking) to add 'SOLD' to the topic title and I certainly don't want to generate a lot of extra work for them, but just a thought.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1389029289' post='2329029']
Just an observation, but I tend to PM any seller rather than posting to the 'for sale' topic...[/quote]

Is the little padlock icône, indicating 'Locked', not visible on whatever you're using..? Yes, we can edit the title before locking (although we ask the seller to do that, and most of them do so...). In general, though, we (as mods...) don't really like modifying in any way the contents of the posts, question of deontology...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1389030240' post='2329049']
Is the little padlock icône, indicating 'Locked', not visible on whatever you're using..?
[/quote]

Yes, but I don't usually notice it! I know this because I've sometimes tried to reply to a topic only to then find it locked.

My fault entirely and I'm not complaining at all, just offering an observation.

[quote name='508pir' timestamp='1389025243' post='2328952']
hi everyone,
due to my inexperience at this forum stuff I was wondering if someone could tell me how to unlock a topic. I have sold an item and now want to write next to the title that is it sold, but i don't know how or cannot seem to edit it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ric
[/quote]

There's an "Edit" button in the bottom right corner of every post you make - go to your first post of the ad, click edit, then in the title box above the ad, write "now sold" or something like that. Click save. It should then be changed, and a mod will then come along and lock the thread so that nobody can respond to it or change it - not even yourself.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1389032315' post='2329081']
There's an "Edit" button in the bottom right corner of every post you make - go to your first post of the ad, click edit, then in the title box above the ad, write "now sold" or something like that. Click save. It should then be changed, and a mod will then come along and lock the thread so that nobody can respond to it or change it - not even yourself.
[/quote]

Just so as to be complete and accurate...
[b] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/8907-important-when-youve-sold-or-withdrawn-your-stuff-from-sale/"]IMPORTANT - When you've sold or withdrawn your stuff from sale...[/url][/b]

[quote]And pleased do NOT change the title of your advert to things like 'SOLD - PLEASE DELETE'.

Just add the word SOLD to the original thread title and we'll take care of the rest.[/quote]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1389034641' post='2329129']
Just so as to be complete and accurate...
[b] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/8907-important-when-youve-sold-or-withdrawn-your-stuff-from-sale/"]IMPORTANT - When you've sold or withdrawn your stuff from sale...[/url][/b]
[/quote]

I don't use the market place much, so I wasn't aware of this rule.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1389035290' post='2329137']
I don't use the market place much, so I wasn't aware of this rule.
[/quote]

No apology needed, Milty; the important thing is that the message gets through. Every bit helps... B)