Why become a member? ×

FS: Ampeg SVT15E ***CLOSED***
£1000

Beedster

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEAD NOW SOLD, CAB STILL AVAILABLE AT BARGAIN £150 COLLECTED FROM CANTERBURY OR ABERYSTWYTH

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FS a lovely US made and classic bass rig. It actually hurts to sell this one as it's the rig I've always wanted on stage for electric gigs. The real deal in that it's an authentic all-tube tone, versatile enough to work in a number of genres, and small enough to do small gigs yet still get those tones (something that hasn't been the case with several other all tube rigs I've owned).

I've owned Ampeg SVTs, Boogie Bass 400+/Buster etc, and all of them were simply too large, too heavy and too loud for the sort of gigs I do, that is, not generally big stages or festivals (when I say to loud, I mean that there's no point gigging with gain at 2 and master at 1). I tried a lot of hybrid heads (e.g., Boogie Walkabout/M-Pulse, Markbass R500) in an attempt to get tube tones at more manageable size and volume, but they never really did it for me one way or another, to my ear they simply had neither the authenticity or the authority that all tube rigs deliver.

I did a lot of homework and all the evidence pointed to one of these. So, I set up searches on eBay and checked on BC daily, and all I found were wanted ads for about a year! Jumped on this one when it came up and absolutely love it. It's not small and it's not especially light but it's small enough and light enough. More importantly it does everything I want tone wise, B-15 through to full-on driven classic SVT (I think I'm right in saying that the original VB4s didn't have a gain control, this does, and of course it makes a hell of a lot of difference to what the amp can do).

USA made, generally in very good condition, tubes all seem OK, although unlike it's bigger counterparts re-tubing is not going to break the bank anyway.

With an impending house move, two very young daughters taking up a lot of my time and money, and incoming multi-instument PJB rig that I'm hoping will cover bass, double bass, guitar and mandolin, I've decided that I'm going to move this on, which is a shame but c'est la via. Will I regret it? Yes. Will I buy another one when the girls are a little older, almost certainly. The PJB is lovely and clean and surprisingly loud, but it'll never be able to do the beautiful things to an electric bass that this baby does.

I'm happy to consider selling the two separately, £800 ono for the head and £200 ono for the cab.

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_1706_zps6ded7b12.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_1695_zps64aa31f1.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_1698_zpsfad46a32.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_1699_zpsa1438e4c.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_1700_zps1935c14b.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_1705_zpsd0af163e.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1389023129' post='2328905']
What PJB rig you getting ?
[/quote]

M-500 plus 6x5 plus 9x5 cabs. Something of a change in direction, but also a rig that I hope I can use for electric bass, DB, acoustic guitar and Mandolin (whilst the Ampeg is very very very good at the first of these, it ain't quite so good at the rest). I was hoping to keep both rigs but suspect that space and money are both going to become issues in the new place :rolleyes:

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1389023980' post='2328925']
oh those ampeg heads are nice!

andy
[/quote]

Thanks mate, they are indeed. This rig, a Precision and a cable, it's all you should need really!

I'd take some gear of you Chris if I wasn't scint lol ... I'd av taken that VT bass pedal as well .. still haven't got my hands on it yet to try out :(

M500 is a cracking amp ! PJB gear is high spec & very well made, great customer service too. I had the M500 in my 6pack combo but alas traded it on as it wasn't getting used & I needed the money ... kept the 9B cab tho,

How's that Yamaha P4050 with bass btw ?

Si

Hello mate

Yes, the PJB rig is extremely good although my run of bad luck wit PJB gear continues unabated it would appear (long story) :(

Yamaha 4050? I never tried with bass as it drove two pairs of studio monitors. Now sold so I guess I never will either!

Cheers

C

That's lovely Chris, and in really good nick. You cannot, repeat, CANNOT beat proper Ampeg valve tone when using Precisions and Ricks. [size=1](IMO of course before someone says meh!)[size=3] - [/size][/size]Id love to hear mine through this!

Someone buy this and give it a happy home (full of valvey goodness) :)

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1389887789' post='2339150']
That's lovely Chris, and in really good nick. You cannot, repeat, CANNOT beat proper Ampeg valve tone when using Precisions and Ricks. [size=1](IMO of course before someone says meh!)[size=3] - [/size][/size]Id love to hear mine through this!

Someone buy this and give it a happy home (full of valvey goodness) :)
[/quote]

Agreed on all points, I have an old but good Faker that sounds absolutely magnificent through this rig, and it goes without saying that the Precisions refuse to play through anything else. Whilst I've had a lot of amps that do a good impression of the tone, there really is something magical about a passive bass through a set of Ampeg tubes and a nice heavy cab. I also love the solidity and stability of this rig, you could put it up against a rhino and the rhino would walk away shaking its head. I've had rigs from other brands that were really lacking in this respect.

There's a thread elsewhere on BC about whether a 100w tube amp is enough. Well, what is 'enough'? I've a 300w Ampeg all-tube power amp sitting here that, no joke, if I fired it up in my garden would be heard 3 miles away. If you only need to be heard up to a mile away, 100w enough.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1389893594' post='2339258']
Is the cab sealed or ported?
[/quote]

Hey mate, it's sealed.

• 2 months later...

Ha ha, thanks Martin, this rig was going to go to a mate's studio but we didn't really get it together, and what with my Yammie 2024x sounding so damn fine through my PJB rig, and given that I'm playing both DB and electric in the same set, and given that whilst not huge for an Ampeg rig, it's still sufficiently large to be on the good lady's list of things that really could be somewhere else other than the house, here really seems to be little point in keeping this, especially as I could use the cash at present.

C

• 3 months later...

[quote name='bassmasterwraith' timestamp='1406029835' post='2507612']
Hi would you trade for a fender deluxe jazz USA 5 string with a deluxe john east pre? Thanks
[/quote]

Thanks mate but have all the basses I need
Cheers
Chris

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1407583215' post='2521991']
I had the same set up. i used the head with various cabs, and with the 15E it sounded very close to a B-15. Fantastic tone!!
[/quote]

It is pretty lovely for sure, and yes, B-15 can be done pretty easily as well as a whole lot more (and at about 5 times the volume).

Head only now for sale and I'm open to sensible offers. I can probably post it at a push and, within reason, at buyer's risk (by that I mean that I will do everything I can to ensure that it gets to you in one piece including packing in a large wooden crate).

C