Why become a member? ×

(OMFG - it worked!!) Fender Custom Shop - worth the tag?

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400849696' post='2457511']
A Pino and a Geddy!!. Congrats dude and enjoy. Any idea what these babies weigh?
[/quote]
The Geddy weighs 9.4lb and the Pino weighs 8.4lb. It's my first gig tonight with the Pino and I'm more than just a little bit excited.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1400942716' post='2458405']
The Geddy weighs 9.4lb and the Pino weighs 8.4lb. It's my first gig tonight with the Pino and I'm more than just a little bit excited.
[/quote]
It must be a nightmare to figure out which bass to take with you :)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1400942716' post='2458405']
[/quote]

Looking at the weight of your bass and a a couple of examples of that CS Geddy Lee I have seen on the internet, , it looks like Fender have deliberately gone for medium weight alder for the body in order to most accurately recreate Geddy's original bass. I know that Geddy thinks it is that body wood that gives his number one bass such a distinctively beefy and aggressive tone.

The one good thing about having a screwed up shoulder is the it seriously limits GAS for basses. FFS I am having to use a Gruvegear duo strap with my 7lb Sadowsky!. These Duo straps feel more like a harness than a strap initially, but necessity requires perseverance and I am pretty glad someone came up with a reasonably successful way of dispersing the weight of the bass over both shoulders.

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400952364' post='2458540']
The one good thing about having a screwed up shoulder is the it seriously limits GAS for basses. FFS I am having to use a Gruvegear duo strap with my 7lb Sadowsky!
[/quote]

I too have got a seriously knackered shoulder Leroy , probably mainly due to strapping on properly heavy basses like Ibanez Musicians and Wals from the age of twelve , but the hard facts are that some basses are, by necessity, on the slightly heavier side. For most ordinary guys, anything under nine and half pounds is usually O.K and not excessive .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1400955065' post='2458580']
I too have got a seriously knackered shoulder Leroy , probably mainly due to strapping on properly heavy basses like Ibanez Musicians and Wals from the age of twelve , but the hard facts are that some basses are, by necessity, on the slightly heavier side. For most ordinary guys, anything under nine and half pounds is usually O.K and not excessive .
[/quote]
Same story with me. I reckon the crappy straps I used in the past have as much to do with screwing up my shoulder as the heavy basses. Totally agree the nine and half pounds is a perfectly acceptable weight for a bass. The last bass I pulled the trigger on was a beautiful Fender CS custom classic. A real beauty it was and only 9 lb weight. However despite my best efforts I found it too heavy and it left me in considerable pain after gigs so I had to sell it on. I still think about it :(

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1401087363' post='2459799']
Oh that's terrible. You have a fender CS bass with a perfectly aligned neck. Send it back immediately - it must have slipped past the qc radar.
[/quote]
I am well aware of Fenders qc or lack there of. I Imported a new Fender U.S. Jazz, sight unseen in 2010 and it was a dog. The frets were hanging over the edge of the fretboard, which rendered it pretty much unplayable.
I have seen several CS models and some were stunning, some not so much. However when Fender get it right they can make a terrific bass IMO, but of course they should be getting it right every time.
Regarding the OP's issues, I am of the opinion that he should not have had to readjust the bass' neck alignment at the neck pocket. If it had not gone right for him, he may well have infringed the conditions of warranty and be on sticky ground now, but thankfully this is not the case.

Why didn't the retailer check it out before passing it on, or have I missed that bit after skim reading the thread? Surely if you're spending that sort of money they ask you how you like your set up, or at least give it the once over?

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1401101783' post='2459983']
Why didn't the retailer check it out before passing it on, or have I missed that bit after skim reading the thread? Surely if you're spending that sort of money they ask you how you like your set up, or at least give it the once over?
[/quote]
You missed a bit. It came directly from Fender to the distributors UK warehouse and then it was couriered to me. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. By doing so I have taken possession of it in the same condition it left the USA without anyone else tinkering about with it, which could be anything from a quick noodle around, to messing with the factory setup. Granted the neck, I believe, moved slightly in transit, but I don't believe that is wholly avoidable given the journey it made. As far as the set-up is concerned, I think that would be something that would have to be done with me being present and I wouldn't have been able to get to the supplier. Talking of which, I would like to reiterate the suppliers have been fantastic from the first moment I raised the issue.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1401106454' post='2460056']

You missed a bit. It came directly from Fender to the distributors UK warehouse and then it was couriered to me. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. By doing so I have taken possession of it in the same condition it left the USA without anyone else tinkering about with it, which could be anything from a quick noodle around, to messing with the factory setup. Granted the neck, I believe, moved slightly in transit, but I don't believe that is wholly avoidable given the journey it made. As far as the set-up is concerned, I think that would be something that would have to be done with me being present and I wouldn't have been able to get to the supplier. Talking of which, I would like to reiterate the suppliers have been fantastic from the first moment I raised the issue.
[/quote]

Fair enough - I thought I had probably missed something! Glad its all sorted for you. I have a 2012 US Fender that I love, but still want a 59 Heavy Relic, there is just something special about them.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1401109709' post='2460102']
Fair enough - I thought I had probably missed something! Glad its all sorted for you. I have a 2012 US Fender that I love, but still want a 59 Heavy Relic, there is just something special about them.
[/quote]
Totally agree. I've never had a relic before, but it's a work of art. Fender obviously think they look good too because they stamp RELIC on them :)
[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1401112695' post='2460151']
Ok lets get down to brass tax here. Is it any easier to play YYZ on this bass ?. :)
[/quote]
Yes Yes Zitis

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400981840' post='2458852']
Same story with me. I reckon the crappy straps I used in the past have as much to do with screwing up my shoulder as the heavy basses. Totally agree the nine and half pounds is a perfectly acceptable weight for a bass. The last bass I pulled the trigger on was a beautiful Fender CS custom classic. A real beauty it was and only 9 lb weight. However despite my best efforts I found it too heavy and it left me in considerable pain after gigs so I had to sell it on. I still think about it :(
[/quote]

I have found that a good strap helps quite a bit, and by far the best I have found is this one :

http://www.levysleathers.com/product;cat,818;item,545;Bass-Guitar-Straps-MSS2-4

They are expensive, but they really are much better that anything else I have tried.

It's the only strap I have found that really helps with a heavier bass. I know that Geddy Lee uses a similar extra- wide Levy's leather strap on his Jazz Basses nowadays , so he must be feeling the weight more with the advancing years, too .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1401135343' post='2460509']
I have found that a good strap helps quite a bit, and by far the best I have found is this one :

[url="http://www.levysleathers.com/product;cat,818;item,545;Bass-Guitar-Straps-MSS2-4"]http://www.levysleat...r-Straps-MSS2-4[/url]

They are expensive, but they really are much better that anything else I have tried.

It's the only strap I have found that really helps with a heavier bass. I know that Geddy Lee uses a similar extra- wide Levy's leather strap on his Jazz Basses nowadays , so he must be feeling the weight more with the advancing years, too .
[/quote]

Cheers for this recommendation. I have been through the usual array of Straps (Comfort, Mono, and a variety of leathers) but have settled on the Duo strap, as it just takes considerable weight off my left shoulder.